Stranger Things - Page 7 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Stranger Things

I just finished the season last night, so here's a quick Olive hot-take.

Season 1: yes. Absolutely.
Season 2: meh.

Edit: Note that I hate almost everything that is popular, and a lot of things that are unpopular. I almost never recommend anything.

I actually liked it, which NEVER happens. It was campy and 80s and had some D&D stuff in it although to me it was dumbed down and over emotionalized like everything else. My groups were all much more deeply and smartly nerdy than that silliness.

But the music, the scenes and objects, and the non-D&D plot centered on the drug-government facility angle was a great departure from actual trajectory fantasy to an asymptotic approximation, allowing for interesting analogies and functional magical thinking. It was well conceived.

T o be fair, it was a junior high age group. Or maybe freshmen, but from my observation of games in that age group and that era, it wasn't all that far off. Exaggerated a bit, sure, but only a bit.

Someone said Max was 13 years old so they're still in middle school. I really enjoyed this season and I usually don't like sequel seasons. I think the little girl who played Max was good actress too as she had actual facial expressions that fit the moment. I was impressed!

I really love the show and I would say it's one of my favorite new properties. I am just super into some of the characters.

Also there's Nancy's mom.

So, I assume we've already discussed THIS then?

Genius comes in many forms.

I love the show. Sure I've minor quibbles, but it nails the Kids on Bikes genre...

EDITED FOR CLARITY

Myth-Weavers does not condone bullying in any form, and any instances occurring on the site should be brought to the immediate attention of staff. Bullying is a sensitive topic and would typically belong in the former Worldly Talk forum; however, due to our community's past inability to keep those discussions civil, that forum is now closed and such discussions are not allowed on Myth-Weavers. Colin and I have pruned that part of the discussion back; please do not resume it.

Please carry on discussing the show.