Burnt Offerings Part I - Festival of Fire

Cathedral Square
Sandpoint
Morning, Autumn Equinox, 22ed of Rova, 4707AR
Aggezar and Parice quickly cover the short distance from the White Deer Inn to the cathedral, entering the plaza from the north through Church Street. A large crowd already began to gather in front of the new cathedral – easily the largest building in Sandpoint. Aggezar recognizes a few familiar faces in the crowd – Sherrif Belor and Mayor Deverin are standing on a raised platform erected in front of the cathedral massive doors together with that local bard whose name you never really grasped.
Carts and tables with fragrant strong coffee, black tee and lemonade were arranged around the square edges, along with pastry stalls offering scones of all smells and flavors. And there she was… standing with her cup of lemonade, shining like a flame at midnight, beautiful like a rose in desert dunes… Shayliss Vinder. As Aggezar loses himself for a bit in dreamy thoughts, kids start gathering around Shaataq, scratching, petting, pulling, climbing but always careful not to get too close to the Half-Orc owner.

Of course the dreamy daydream Aggezar was enjoying couldn't last for long. Not far behind him and Parice the Viskalais walked into the square – Gariddan, his wife Martha and the two trouble makers Frarnack and Galstack. "Aggy Aggy always angry! Aggy Aggy looks like a baggy!". The rhyme shook Aggezar out of his daydreaming, but also ended abruptly when Gariddan smacked both boys on the back of their head telling them to show some respect. The family moved on into the crowd, both boys smiling devilishly back at you as they walk on.

"Chatahee, this is Aggezar" says Jayl (or Daver), still struggling to chew all the pastry he stuffed in, and pointing to an half-orc standing at the other side of the square. The Half-orc geared up with a bow and halberd stands by a nun and a big cat. "He's an Half-Orc" the boy whispers on, as if afraid Agezzar would hear him. "He lives in a camp in the forest. I like his big cat Shaataq, but I don't like him. He scares me. Don't know the woman besides him. She's strange!"

Chatahee the Longspear
Half Elf Fighter
ooc
Vital Information
Current AC:18 Touch:13
Flat Footed: 16 CMD:17
Current HP: 13/13
Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +3/+5 vs enchantments
ooc
Temporary Conditions and Magical Effects None

As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
K Engineering: 14
K Geography: 11
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Perception : 18
Sense Motive: 12
Stealth (in armor) : 12
Things which are permanent or long lasting which affect your character or others
Permanent Abilities or Magical Effects
Combat Reflexes allows AOOs even while flat footed.
Immune to Sleep spells and effects.
+5 Will Saves vs Enchantments

Things you think are important for others to know
Notes

Chatahee listened to the boys talk of the island, even as he helped himself to what appeared to be free food, interest glimmering in his brown eyes. "No, I can't fly. Going to need a winged mount to pull that off.

... but I can climb.. going to need a grappling hook.., he thinks to himself, thinking it an uncommonly lucky break that the guards had pulled the stairs down on Chopper's Island. With luck there'd be something of value there still.

Talk of Aggezar the half orc, his big cat and a strange woman aroused his interest.

"I'm guessing Aggezar doesn't mix well with people and turns his nose up at regular employment in town then?", he asked both boys even as his feet began strolling in that direction, seemingly of their own volition. He couldn't count on his fingers and toes the number of folk he'd met who looked like Aggezar. You didn't go hunting giants without folk who looked like Agezzar.

Suddenly he finds himself looking around at a red haired vision, whom he does not yet know is called Shayliss Vinder. She inserts herself into his imagination the same way a ram inserts itself into a city gate. Stopped dead in his tracks, he actually finds himself rocking back a little on his heels, unable to do anything for a moment but grin idiotically..

"Whoa, well hello there...", he manages to get out, remembering to puff out his chest and straighten his back.

The Rusty Dragon
Sandpoint

Jack and Kalta make their short way through Market Street until they reach the Rusty Dragon. This large structure is Sandpoint’s oldest inn, notable for the impressive (and quite rusty) iron dragon that looms on the building’s roof, doubling as a lightning rod and decoration. As Jackson learned during the past few days in Sandpoint, the Rusty Dragon is owned and operated for the past 6 years by the lovely and popular Ameiko Kaijitsu.

The Rusty Dragon is not only one of the town’s most popular eateries, but also a great place to meet visitors from out of town, since most newcomers to Sandpoint come upon this inn first. It certainly doesn’t hurt that Ameiko’s beauty is more than matched by her skill at music, and few are the evenings that pass without at least two or three songs being performed by the talented woman. Jack learned that Ameiko runs a very adventurer-friendly establishment, and the locals who frequent the establishment’s tavern enjoy hearing stories of derring-do and hijinks from the tavern’s visitors.

Just as Jackson and Kalta walk in, Ameiko is on her way out.
"Haven't seen you here last night Jackson" she calls as she prepares to leave. "I guess my father keeps you very busy. Are you here to clear your room? You can leave your belongings here for today if you wish. With the festival and all, I wouldn't expect you to be happy about carrying a sleeping bag around all day"
She then smiles to Kalta "and who is this lovely lady here?" clearly liking the looks of Kalta, Ameiko offers the sorceress a night at the Rusty Dragon free of charge "with the spirit of the festival and all, you know…"

Jackson “Jack” Ratarion
Human, URogue (Rake)
Please keep this up to date, especially during Combat
Vital Information
Current AC:18 Touch:14
Flat Footed: 14 CMD:13
Current HP: 10/10
Fort 2 Ref 5 Will 0
Please Include Any Temporary Effects and Note If They Are Already Calculated Into The Stats. Please Provide Links If You Can
Temporary Conditions and Magical Effects
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Bluff 19; Diplomacy 16; Knowledge (local) 17
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Perception : 14
Sense Motive: 10
Things which are permanent or long lasting which affect your character or others
Dodge
Signature Moves
Black Sheep - Bitter Noble (Bluff)
Notes
Where can a man find a good mug of ale and a pretty warm body?

Guiding Kalta through Sandpoint to the Rusty Dragon, Jackson made minor small talk trying to get a feel for this lovely lady. As they arrived at the Rusty Dragon and all but ran into the person that he was looking for, “I think I’ll leave them in my room, I may need a night or two away from your generous father,” he gave Ameiko a grin as he knew she knew how difficult her father could be at times, “Speaking of your father, he wished for me to ask you to visit when you have a chance. He is currently under the weather and though the doctors said it wasn’t anything serious, we both know how he is,” turning to Kalta as Ameiko offered her a free night at the inn, “If you’d like, you can put your things in my room while you get the feel of the town and while you get all settled in, I have another errand to run to go meet the mayor,” turning back to the beautiful tavern owner and giving her a sly wink as she would have already felt the silver-forked tongue of Jackson Ratarion when he first arrived, “I will leave the beautiful miss Kalta to you Ameiko,” and with that, Jackson slips back out the tavern door and heads down to the festival proper to find Mayor Deverin, his left hand resting on the hilt of his ornate rapier and a small skip in his step at the prospect of finding some beautiful lass to work his wiles on.

Cathedral Square
Sandpoint
Jackson"Under the weather indeed..." Ameiko smiles sarcastically at Jackson, "or maybe just avoiding the crowds."
Jackson leaves the two ladies in the Rusty Dragon, and hurries to reach the festival grounds before it starts.
Not far behind him, Kalta and Ameiko follow on their way to the same destination.
A large crowd already gathered in front of the new cathedral - easily the largest building in Sandpoint - and everyone is now waiting for the opening speeches to begin. Jack spots Mayor Deverin and Sheriff Belor standing on a raised platform erected in front of the cathedral massive doors together with one or two other local men.

ChataheeAs Chatahee crosses the plaza towards Aggezar the boys explain that the Half Orc used to work in the docks, building ships, not far from where Jayle and Daver live. A few years back Sheriff Belor put together a group of scouts to guard the northern forests, and Aggezar joined them. The group returned, but Agezzar remained in the woods, coming to town every now and then to gather supply.
Suddenly Chatahee finds himself looking at a red haired vision... Stopped dead in his tracks, he actually finds himself rocking back a little on his heels, unable to do anything for a moment but grin idiotically.. "Whoa, well hello there...", he manages to get out, remembering to puff out his chest and straighten his back.
The red haired looks at him, her eyes scan his shape, from head down to feet. First her eyes seem surprised, but slowly as she stares up and down his body, they become less surprised at this new man in town, and more full of intention. "Mmmh... greetings stranger" is all she said, a small naughty and seductive smile on her face.
"This is Shayliss Vinder" Jayle announces loudly (or maybe it was Daver).
"I see you babysittin'..." Shayliss giggles and turns back to talk to her friend. They both giggle now.

Chatahee the Longspear
Half Elf Fighter
ooc
Vital Information
ooc

As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks

Notes

Babysitting?, thinks Chatahee, once more rocked back on his heels by the red haired eauty. He rallies more quickly this time though. The women of the warband were quick to test a man's assurance with little put downs.

Grinning broadly he retorts... "Mentoring more like."

"Young men on the cusp of adulthood need training in war. Come a day when they'll have sore need of what I have to teach. Defend a lady, defend her honour, defend the town. It's all one and the same. In any case, it builds strength and stamina.."

He found himself rather pleased with that one, given that, by his lights, he'd managed to package together the protection of a woman, her honour, duty to one's town, the defence of the status of the two young men and his own physical prowess all into the one little speech.

Even so, it occurred to him that while many a woman liked a soldier, there were also ones who liked a baker. He hoped, rather prayed, that Shayliss was one of the former, not the latter.

Turning his head he nods respectfully at the nearby half orc hunter Agezzar, before bringing his eyes.. not that he had much choice in the matter, back to Shayliss. Still, letting her know she wasn't the sole thing on his mind couldn't hurt.

Unable to find any characters in game 24682

The half-orc found it interesting to watch the reaction this woman was provoking. Sure, she was well-built, and had the hips needed to bear children, but could she swing a sword? Could she take a punch? There was so much more to a potential mate than a pretty face and nice hair.

Looking around at the growing throng of people, the half-orc couldn't help but think of the area in terms of combat-tactics. He identified likely escape points, promising choke points where the citizens could be herded and slaughtered, firing lanes for bowmen, and likely hiding places for assassins and other sneaks. He began to wonder what fool built this city. He certainly didn't have defense in mind when he planned it out.

Jackson “Jack” Ratarion
Human, URogue (Rake)
Please keep this up to date, especially during Combat
Vital Information
Current AC:18 Touch:14
Flat Footed: 14 CMD:13
Current HP: 10/10
Fort 2 Ref 5 Will 0
Please Include Any Temporary Effects and Note If They Are Already Calculated Into The Stats. Please Provide Links If You Can
Temporary Conditions and Magical Effects
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Bluff 19; Diplomacy 16; Knowledge (local) 17
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Perception : 14
Sense Motive: 10
Dodge
Signature Moves
Black Sheep - Bitter Noble (Bluff)
Notes
Where can a man find a good mug of ale and a pretty warm body?

Weaving his way through the crowds that had already started gathering for the festival, Jackson procured a mug of ale, leaving the correct amount of payment to the hardworking vendor. Enjoying the mug as he finally arrived at the central stage, he moved around the crowd so that it wouldn’t take him as long, and as he reached the platform he gave a shout to the mayor, “Mayor Deverin, I have word from Lonjiku Kaijitsu,” hoping that was enough to catch the mayor’s attention, he moved closer and began to speak, “He sends his regards but unfortunately he is under the weather today and will, with regrets, not be able to attend the festival today,” as he finished, he took a long draw from his mug and awaited for the mayor’s response.

Cathedral Square
Sandpoint
Jackson"Well, thank you young man," the Mayor responds to Jack's message from Mr. Kaijitsu. "This is indeed very unfortunate, but hardly surprising I might add." She gives Jack a knowing smile and a look as if Jack should know why it is hardly any surprise. "I don’t think I met you before, young man. Something about your looks tells me you come from Riddleport . Have you been working for Mr. Kaijitsu for a long time? ". She didn't wait too long for an answer. A moment or two later she was already clearing her throat and ready to make her opening speech. Sheriff Belor however, was listening carefully to Jack's exchange of words with the Mayor, and was now glaring at Jackson as if waiting for an answer. He clearly didn't like the part about Riddleport.

ChataheeEyes back at Shayliss, Chatahee couldn't but notice his little bright speech clearly made an impression, although he couldn't figure what that impression was exactly, as the red-head beauty was now staring at him with appreciation mixed with moderate confusion. At that moment, the town's Mayor cleared her throat, prepared to make her speech. Shayliss was clearly excited about this and clapped her hands giggling. It almost seems as if the Mayor's speech relieved her from having to take part in a conversation too difficult for her simple mind.

Mayor Deverin clears her throat. She smiles and nods to people in the crowd even before she starts speaking. It is not clear if she loves her job, but she clearly loves her people. "Father Zantus, Sheriff Belor, respected noble families: Valdemars, Scarnettis, Kaijitsus, Deverins, citizens of Sandpoint and guests from afar. It is very heartwarming to see so many of you gathered here this morning. Even Larz Rovanky managed to tear himself from the tannery and come join us" The crowd loughs hysterically, probably knowing something that you don't. "Today, my dear friends, we have many reasons to celebrate. Of course, the Swallowtail Festival is Desna's celebration first and foremost; and we will release the butterflies at noon so don't miss it; but we also celebrate the opening and consecration of our new Cathedral. Funded not only by the churches of Desna, Abadar, Erastil, Gozreh, Sarenrae and Shelyn but by many private businessmen who stand here today, this Cathedral is a monument to our culture and our way of life here on the Lost Coast where we accept everyone as they are with an outreached arm and a welcoming smile. The consecration ceremony will take place here at sunset."
A huge cat with orange fiery pelt, which was not too long ago sitting next to the big heavily armed half orc, now climbs the stage nonchalantly. It looks lazily at the crowd then lies down and yawns as he turns on his back, tail swishing. The Mayor trying to keep a serious face, but fails as the crowd begins to laugh. "Hhmm hmm... Aggezar dear, would you please control your cat?".
AggezarAggezar's head was racing. The best escape route out of the plaza is probably Church Street leading quickly to north gate. Junker's Way is a trap because it only leads to the cliff and so is Tower Street. High street is a good option, but with all the commotion of a possible attack it might turn into a choke-point. Of course if the attackers already took over the north wall, than running north would be a disaster, especially if they have bowmen. Tower Street and then Main Street would be best option then. The Cathedral... that could be used as a hold out for some time, keep the women and children safe...
"Hhmm hmm... Aggezar dear," Mayor Deverin's voice snapped him from his combat plans, "would you please control your cat?"
Shaataq was laying on his back, palms up, right on the center stage. Although the Mayor was clearly amused, as was the rest of the crowd, she did have to break her speech. Sheriff Belor was clearly not amused, frowning at the Half-Orc.

As the cat leaves the stage to the roaring laughter of everyone, the Mayor concludes: "Last, but maybe just as important, we are here to celebrate a new begining. Today we finally leave the memories of the past behind us. We will not forget those who burned in the fire of the old church, or those who were murdered, but it is time to be done with the healing process and move on to a better future. Now dear friends, Sheriff Belor will say a few words. Unfortunately, I just learned that Mr. Kaijitsu who was supposed to speak for the noble families is under the weather, again, but our own bard Cyrdak will take his place and amuse us with his anecdotes. And of course don't forget to try and taste every dish and drink the taverns and savories of Sandpoint has to offer - it's free! - and all sorts of games will take place in Market Square and in the streets just as soon as we are done here."
As the crowds clap their hands the Mayor sits down, and Sheriff Belor stands and walks to the front of the stage. Like a contagious disease the sheriff's somberness and dour mood spreads among the not-so-long-ago cheerful crowd and they become quiet and serious. "Mayor Deverin, Father Zantus, noblemen and citizens of Sandpoint. I hope you all going to have a very meaningful festival. Please don't let your children run like crazy rats in the streets. They might fall and be harmed. Food is free anyways so there is no need to push and shove. Be careful around the evening bone fire too. It is dangerous. Sure, the festival is a merry occasion, but don't forget to honor Father Ezakien Tobyn and his daughter Nualia who perished in the fire several years ago or those many good souls who were hacked down by the foul hands of Jervis Stoot. That's all I have to say. Thank you." The crowd seems to not know how to react, some clapping hands some just murmur something.

Cyrdak Drokkus, the local bard, is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd's mood back up with his rousing anecdotes. He jumps to the front as the Sheriff gets off the stage. "Well said Sheriff! Well said! Dear friends and visitors! Four years ago, our magnificent town under the leadership of our own Mayor Deverin, set out to make a dream come true! To build a cathedral worthy of not one, not two, not three, but SIX, six gods!! And look at it now! So splendid!" Cyrdak continues delivering his not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went through to finance and construct the new cathedral, but the towns people quickly lose interest in his rumblings. He throws in a bit of self promotion at the end, as is his wont: "I would like to invite everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater tomorrow evening and check out my new production of "The Harpy's Curse"! You will not believe who is going to play the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen! The one and only, the diva from Magnimar ! You are right my friends! It is none other than Allishanda!!!" Most of the crowd already began scattering back into the streets so the reaction to the bard's declaration is meager at best.
Finally, Father Zantus steps up thanking everyone for coming. "I now declare the official opening of the Swallowtail Festival!!"

Chatahee the Longspear
Half Elf Fighter
ooc
Vital Information
ooc

As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks

Notes

Chatahee finds himself smiling broadly to hide his disappointment at Shayliss' seeming inability to keep up with him in a conversation. He'd always valued a woman with brains more than anything else. Problem was Shayliss was certainly no Norayeh, who'd verbally teased and tormented him for months... all the while egging him on with her eyes.

It always amused Chatahee that Panachek insisted that his wooing of his daughter was his idea, and not hers. Now he discovered, much to his chagrin, that Norayeh's biting wit and stellar wordplay made even a burnished beauty like Shayliss seem lacklustre.

Shayliss would never make him laugh, except perhaps at her, and he wasn't the kind of man who was up for that.

Jervis Stoot.. if I had to guess, that's this chopper fellow I've been hearing about. , he thought to himself, his mind turning from thoughts of women and back to the business of the day. He'd not laid eyes on either Kaijutsu or Titus Scarnetti. It seemed strange to him that such prominent folk would not be here..

"Ladies, if you'll excuse me.." he said as a parting gift to Shayliss and her friend, bowing slightly even as he said it.

No reason to upset the girl, he thought to himself.

He moved away from the girls until he encountered the half orc with the cat.

"Halberd, nice weapon..", he said, starting the conversation on the topic of weapons, since he knew next to nothing of big cats.