OOC Discusion for Burnt Offerings

Sorry for the absence guys. I was hoping I'd be able to get my friend in here before we head off to Thistletop, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. So, it looks like 3 is the party. Admittedly, a Half-Wizard, Half-Cleric, and a Rogue is about as ready a 3-person party can be... just concerned with the amount of healing we don't have if things go sour.

Also... been a while since I've dealt with spellbooks - but I think it takes 2 checks to copy a spell from a scroll. The first is to decipher the scroll (DC 20 + Spell Level = DC 22 OR cast Read Magic), then once that's done (can be tried once/day), it can be written in the spellbook (DC 15 + Spell Level = DC 17). It doesn't look like Art had prepared Read Magic, So he can keep the scroll and try to decipher again each day. Don't think there's any risks of failure.

Which sort of reminds me that Lurr has a couple scrolls from Father Zanthus that she probably hasn't deciphered, so she couldn't necessarily activate them either... Guess she'll need to prepare Read Magic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
I think it takes 2 checks to copy a spell from a scroll. The first is to decipher the scroll (DC 20 + Spell Level = DC 22 OR cast Read Magic), then once that's done (can be tried once/day), it can be written in the spellbook (DC 15 + Spell Level = DC 17). It doesn't look like Art had prepared Read Magic, So he can keep the scroll and try to decipher again each day. Don't think there's any risks of failure.
We agreed that Awar studied Read Magic on the morning of day 7 (the day of the funeral and healing ritual), so he didn't have to roll a deciphering roll. He only had to roll the spellcraft check to copy it. I screwed up the DC for the copying - it is 17 not 20 - but he still failed (he got a 12). The scroll is unharmed though. He can use it to cast the spell anytime he wants, or he can wait one week and try to copy it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
Which sort of reminds me that Lurr has a couple scrolls from Father Zanthus that she probably hasn't deciphered, so she couldn't necessarily activate them either... Guess she'll need to prepare Read Magic as well.
I don't know about that... Not sure what the rules say about it, but I think it is reasonable that when an ally willingly gives you a scroll he also reads/reviews it with you and there is no need to decipher it. The same is true for buying a scroll from the wizard who wrote it etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Shatil View Post
I don't know about that... Not sure what the rules say about it, but I think it is reasonable that when an ally willingly gives you a scroll he also reads/reviews it with you and there is no need to decipher it. The same is true for buying a scroll from the wizard who wrote it etc..
I'm certainly fine if that's how we want to rule it. I don't think there is anything in the books about the deciphering being explained, one way or the other, and I think something like that would be noted, especially in the section about preparing spells from a borrowed spellbook (which still requires the decipher check).

I'm fine with this ruling (no need to decipher), as long as it is really a borrowed book and not a "borrowed" book....
As long as I'm the GM though, the chances of finding a wizard who will willingly borrow his spellbook is very slim.

Bad NewsOn the evening of the 28th of Rova (Day 7), Zeno Reiburn announces that adventuring life is not for him. He just can't take the stress anymore. He'd rather be a carpenter like his father and his father's father and his father's father's father. He wishes you the best of luck and goes home.

Good NewsA new player will be joining us shortly as soon as he has a character ready! Still no decision on which character he is going to play, but I know him from another game and I'm sure its going to be interesting.

UpdateI figured you bought 3 antitoxin vials as Kartari suggested. That cost you 150gp. Table of Loot is updated accordingly. The party currently has 103gp left in the treasury. If I got it wrong and you want to buy less vials or more vials, please fix the table before you enter the Nettlewoods. The vials have to be imbibed before you get poisoned and they are active for 1 hour. If you drink it after you are poisoned, its useless unless combined with an anti-poison spell.
It is finally noon of the 29th of Rova, 4707AR, and the party of three heroes is ready to take on the goblins of Thisteltop... or at least they hope so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Shatil View Post
The vials have to be imbibed before you get poisoned and they are active for 1 hour. If you drink it after you are poisoned, its useless unless combined with an anti-poison spell.
I think that would depend on the poison. Some poisons have a save each round, in which case, the +5 would aid in that. As an example:
Quote:
Small Centipede Poison

Type poison (injury); Save Fortitude DC 11
Frequency 1/round for 4 rounds
Effect 1 Dex damage; Cure 1 save
A save is made when the centipede bites, and if it is a failure, the character is poisoned with Small Centipede Poison, and immediately take the listed effect (1 Dex damage). Then, on the poisoned character's turn (for up to 4 turns), he has to make a save again. Failure of those successive saves causes him to take another 1 Dex damage, or if he passes one of them, he is cured of the poison, and doesn't take any more effects (though he still has to heal the Dex damage he DID take). You can choose when in your turn you make the 'frequency' saves, so this does allow someone to drink an antitoxen on their first turn after getting exposed, which should give the +5 alchemical bonus on all subsequent saves.

This +5 alchemical bonus stacks with the +4 competence bonus the Heal skill can provide as well, making for some pretty potent mundane poison recovery.

Yeah, you're right.

In the case of the poisonous plants of Nettlewood however, you already know (from one of the previous posts) that the poison acts immediately when you simply brush against the plant. It causes a slight-to-medium discomfort.
or in mechanical terms - 1 save roll, and a small dex/str penalty if you fail.
I think (might be wrong here) that because the poison works instantaneously and there is only one save roll, Heal check is also not possible here.

I'm a bit confused on how we're calculating our gold and costs. The 253 party gold from recent sales: is that to be (a) split between us, or (b) kept in a party fund? If a party fund, are the antitoxins being paid for (a) via party gold or (b) personal gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartari View Post
I'm a bit confused on how we're calculating our gold and costs. The 253 party gold from recent sales: is that to be (a) split between us, or (b) kept in a party fund?
Everything you find during the adventures as well as all the gold you get from selling it, is listed and calculated into a party fund (I call it treasury, but I guess its the same). Everything you buy is via the party fund unless you decide to use what little money you still have from character creation.
Exceptions are for example an item that the party didn't know about such as Jackson's ring or personal items from character creation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartari View Post
If a party fund, are the antitoxins being paid for (a) via party gold or (b) personal gold?
The cost of the three antitoxins was deducted from your party treasury which now stands at 103gp.
If you wish, every now and then we can split the money remaining in the party fund between the characters, and then set the fund to 0. The beginning of part IV for example, is a good time to do it. Let me know...