Burnt Offerings Part II - Heroes of Sandpoint

Burnt Offerings Part II - Heroes of Sandpoint

The Rusty Dragon
Sandpoint
Sunrise, 23ed of Rova, 4707AR (Day 2)
A new morning rises on the small town of Sandpoint. You wake up at your rooms in the Rusty Dragon when the first sun rays pierce through the small glass windows. From the outside you can hear the sounds of hooves and cart wheels on the street as merchants finish packing their goods and leave town to look for their fortunes somewhere else. After you wash and dress up, you go down stairs for breakfast at the common room. As each of you enter the dining hall, you are received with cheers and Varisian "hoysa!" crys by the other guests. A table was set for you in the corner of the hall, closest to the fire place. Ameiko personally serves you freshly baked bread, boiled eggs and fresh vegetables along side a pair of fried fatty sausages.
As the party slowly gathers around the table, another familiar face walks down the stairs and into the dining hall. This is Alderen Foxglove, the man you saved from the goblins near North Gate. As he notices you he waves cheerfully and walks over to your table.
"Well! Good morning my dear dear friends!" he says loudly resting his hand on Chatahee's shoulder. "Just thought I should thank you again for saving me from certain "goblining". I was hoping to go hunting some boar tomorrow before I return to Magnimar the day after. Maybe some of you may want to join me on the hunt. It will be fun I promise! I can get us horses from Goblin Squash Stables and I hear the boars of Tickwood are especially healthy and delicious!" He sits down at the only free chair around your table. "So, what are your plans for today?"

Chatahee the Longspear
Half Elf Fighter
ooc
Vital Information
Current AC:18 Touch:13
Flat Footed: 16 CMD:17
Current HP: 13/13
Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +3/+5 vs enchantments
ooc
Temporary Conditions and Magical Effects

As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
K Engineering: 14
K Geography: 11
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Perception : 18
Sense Motive: 12
Stealth (in armor) : 12
Things which are permanent or long lasting which affect your character or others
Permanent Abilities or Magical Effects
Combat Reflexes allows AOOs even while flat footed.
Immune to Sleep spells and effects.
+5 Will Saves vs Enchantments

Things you think are important for others to know
Notes

Chatahee had decided that he should just be on his best behaviour, as opposed to chasing anything in a skirt, for while. He greeted their host politely and did what he could to be courteous and friendly.

And then the nobleman, Alderan Foxglove, had approached...

Chatahee didn't know what to make of this guy even as he sat and watched the nobleman's gestures and facial movements of the man's facial muscles for
Dice Roll: 1d20+2z
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 7)
sense motive (7)
signs that something might be off. He got precisely nothing from that. He then
Dice Roll: 1d20+8z
d20 Results: 16 (Total = 24)
Perception (24)
surveyed the man's clothes, belongings, the mud on his boots for anything else that might be off.

It occurred to him that the gate likely had been opened from the inside. It also occurred to him that this man had been the one closest to the gate, and thus possibly the one who had opened it. And now here he was inviting him on a boar hunt, ever a dangerous pursuit, and enquiring after the business of those who had stopped the goblin attack on the morning after.

"A boar hunt? Very tempting but I'm afraid I shall have to decline." he says politely. "I made promises yesterday with regards today that I have to keep."

Jackson “Jack” Ratarion
Human, URogue (Rake)
Please keep this up to date, especially during Combat
Vital Information
Current AC:16 Touch:13
Flat Footed: 14 CMD:15
Current HP: 9/9
Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 0
Please Include Any Temporary Effects and Note If They Are Already Calculated Into The Stats. Please Provide Links If You Can
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Knowledge local 14
Knowledge Nobility 13
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Bluff 18
Diplomacy 13
Perception : 14
Sense Motive : 14
Things which are permanent or long lasting which affect your character or others
Signature Moves
Black Sheep - Bitter Noble (Bluff)
ooc
Notes
Relevant combat feats: Weapon finesse, Combat expertise, Improved feint.

After tossing and turning through the night Jack awakens in the same somber mood as the day prior. The rogue just can not shake the melancholy and he knows of only one way to do so, to seek resolution.
during breakfast Jack puts on a happy face and acts naturally. Careful observation may reveal that he is in fact preoccupied but he plays it off fairly convincingly. For better or worse his mind is set... on discovery.
When Alderen suggests a hunt Jack can feel his stomach flip and he subconsciously places his hand on his side. He hurriedly rubs his stomach as soon as he realizes it to cover for the slight. "I too shall pass on the off to hunt." Jack replies evenly. "I've had my fill of... violence for a time." He insists as light heartedly as he can.
Taking a deep breath Jack settles his nerves for the task he will undertake. He knows from experience that he must quell and temper his mind and body. To collect information he will need to be patient as well as thorough. It will undoubtedly take time but he will discover little if he is not subtle.
"and so... to begin."

Parice, Child of Sarenrae
Oread, Cleric
Vital Information
Current AC: 9 (Not Currently wearing Armor) Touch: 9
Flat Footed: 9 CMD: 13
Current HP: 10/10
Fort +4 Ref -1 Will +6
Please Include Any Temporary Effects and Note If They Are Already Calculated Into The Stats. Please Provide Links If You Can
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Religion: 14; Geography: 11
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Sense Motive: 14
Other Relevant Skill : None
Aura of Good
Energy Resistance 5/Acid
Darkvision 60 ft
Outsider
Student of Fait: Cast all heal spells at CL +1 and +1 on Channel Energy DC's
Notes
Is in mourning

Parice got up at the crack of dawn to greet the sun, which was arguably the most important part of her morning ritual, groaning a bit as she got out of bed, yesterdays fight having taken some toll and she was feeling sore all over, even if she hadn't done much. She made a quick prayer by her bedside before she got cleaned up and got dressed, resiting verses from her holy text in a hurried tone under her breath as she went through her morning affairs, finishing the last of her hour long 'meditation' on her way downstairs to breakfast with the rest of her companions.

She was taken aback by Mr. Foxgloves question, wondering why anyone would ask a nun to go out hunting with them and gracefully declined. "I'm sorry to have to decline your request, Mister. Foxglove, but hunting isn't really my thing, I have never done it in fact. I had planned to see more o the town today, as I still haven't seen much other than the inside of my room since I got here, not counting yesterday ofcourse"
She got up and took her leave from the Rusty Dragon, taking a stroll through the streets of Sandpoint and ending up at The Curious Goblin after an hour or so of aimless wandering, taking refuge within the small, cozy book shop, spending most of the day just browsing its many interesting volumes.

The Rusty Dragon
Sandpoint
Morning, 23ed of Rova, 4707AR (Day 2)

"Well, I can't say I'm not a little disappointed... I was hoping to repay you with my adventurous offer of a wild boar hunt, but I can understand how heroic people such as yourselves would have more important and pressing business to attend" says Aldren Foxglove with a disappointed smile."At least let me reward you with some coins". He opens his small handbag and retrieves a pouch which he leaves on the table. "And if you change your mind I will still be here tomorrow." With that he finishes up his meal and gets up to leave.
You enjoy the rest of your morning meal, and just about when Parice was ready to get up and go for a stroll outside, Jackson returns to the table and sits down. Without any of you noticing he must have went and sat with some other patrons of the inn for sometime.

Jackson “Jack” Ratarion
Human, URogue (Rake)
Vital Information
Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 0
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Knowledge local 14
Knowledge Nobility 13
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Bluff 18
Diplomacy 13
Signature Moves
ooc
Notes

Although he is distracted somewhat by his own thoughts Jack listens to Aldren as the man describes is intent. More than this he watches the mans eyes and mannerisms for any sign he may have an ulterior motive. He is suspicious by nature and this is only heightened by the recent events. He then makes his way around the room for a short time to speak with some of the other patrons.

Even after so little time as he has spent thus far Jack's mood seems to have improved already. Just doing -something- in fact anything makes him feel better. He returns to the table once the nobleman is gone so he can lay out his plan to his companions.

"I have a plan of sorts." He explains to them. "I intend to speak with as many folk around town as possible. Someone, somewhere knows more than a little. Whoever allowed the Goblins entry is here or they still have an agent near at hand. It is likely that they have slipped to some extent and left a clue." Jack surmises. "In fact I have already heard a rumor that some guards located rope and climbing gear at Junker's cliff. Additionally there is some talk that a group or groups of Goblins have been harbored inside the walls of the city for a day perhaps even two." He describes further. "If these things are true, which I intend to verify, then it is only a small slice of a much bigger cake."

Taking a breath he tries to smile a little as if he is confident and feels comfortable with his plan. "I would welcome any aid in this endeavor." Jack suggests. "I am committed to this..." Jack states flatly and his serious tone breaks for a moment. "...either that or I am fit to be committed..." He says jokingly.

The Rusty Dragon
Sandpoint
Morning, 23ed of Rova, 4707AR (Day 2)

Aldern has already left. Jack expressed his plan to verify the rumors he gathered from the guests at the Rusty Dragon, but got no reply besides nods and contemplating looks. An hour has passed by, in which you all sat quietly thinking what to do next, when suddenly you notice that for a few minutes now there is a commotion outside the inn. Some of the locals of Sandpoint have gathered outside, hoping to catch a glimpse of the new heroes of Sandpoint. Some press their faces to the dusty windows glass pointing at you, others call out for you to join them outside. Ameiko is struggling at the door to keep the people from entering, explaining again and again that the heroes deserve some privacy and quiet. But, the crowd just getting bigger as more and more locals notice something exciting is happening at the Rusty Dragon.

Zeno Reiburn
Human, Medium
Vital Information
Current AC:16 Touch:12
Fort 1 Ref 2 Will 1
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Knowledge Arcana: +5; Knowledge Geography +1; Knowledge History +2
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Perception : +3
Sense Motive: -1
Permanent Abilities or Magical Effects Bound to the Marshall (Lady Carcelle)
+1 on Charisma checks and Charisma Skill checks
+1 on Spirit Surge rolls
+2 on non-spell damage rolls
Can use Spirit Surge on attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, ability checks, and concentration checks
Notes
None

Zeno had been sitting quietly, at a loss as for what to do about the raid on Sandpoint and his tenous new friendship with his fellow 'heroes of Sandpoint'; his awe at their prowess had been getting the better of him. His eyes widened as Jack spoke of his idea, and he began making plans of his own. When the crowd began to form outside the Rusty Dragon, Zeno stood up and spoke.
"Well friends, it would seem that our newfound fame may well guide us toward the answers we seek. I say we give poor Ameiko a much needed break and meet the crowd head on. We may be able to use this series of events to our advantage. What do we know so far? One - that the goblins were far more organized than they should have been. Two - that someone must have opened the gate, probably from the inside. Three - that the guilty party may yet be among us. I'm heading out there to gather what information I can; I assume Jack is with me. I hope the rest of you will join us."

Parice, Child of Sarenrae
Oread, Cleric
Vital Information
Current AC: 9 (Not Currently wearing Armor) Touch: 9
Flat Footed: 9 CMD: 13
Current HP: 10/10
Fort +4 Ref -1 Will +6
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Religion: 14; Geography: 11
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Sense Motive: 14
Other Relevant Skill : None
Aura of Good
Energy Resistance 5/Acid
Darkvision 60 ft
Outsider
Student of Fait: Cast all heal spells at CL +1 and +1 on Channel Energy DC's
Notes
Is in mourning

Cound do nothing more than to listen and nod her head while Jack explained the situation and his plans, having no real course of action for herself, Goblin raids and conspiracies weren't exactly something she was used to back in the monestary.
"Alright, I have no reason to decline or any reason not to believe your suspicions. I will be at your disposal, as I have little experience in things such as this I can't say I have any idea what my next course of action should be, so I leave it in your hands, Jack, if that's not too much to ask"

Jackson “Jack” Ratarion
Human, URogue (Rake)
Vital Information
Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 0
None
As If Taking Ten
Trained Knowledge Skills
Knowledge local 14
Knowledge Nobility 13
As if Taking Ten
Passive Skill Checks
Bluff 18
Diplomacy 13
Signature Moves
ooc
Notes

At first Jack considers addressing the growing crowd boldly. To tell them all of his suspicions and seek their collective aid in the endeavor. Yet he considers against this at first as it goes against his clandestine nature. He has already decides to be more subtle and he does not want to tip his hand to any that may be in league with the conspirators.

He has not tried to disguise himself much in the past but he contemplates doing so now. He has no such skill however and he is almost sure to be found out. Still he almost has his mind made up to try to slip out the back when Zeno recommends the very thing Jack was just thinking.

"I am not much of a public speaker..." Jack begins to protest but he is clearly considering the option. "My -other- fear in doing so is that we may tip our hand and scare our target into hiding." He observes. "Either that or they may seek to silence us by slipping a knife in our back as soon as we are alone or paying little heed." Jack explains.

He shrugs his shoulders and holds out his empty hands. "My forte is more inclined toward subterfuge I must admit." Jack embellishes further. "Enlisting all of those eyes and ears is sorely tempting however." He notes. "Having said all this I would seek your council. Should we reveal ourselves and our plan and take our chances or should we try a more subtle approach?" He asks.