General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I'm looking for some information on an old video game. I think it was a launch title for the Playstation 2. What I remember is that you were controlling a tarantula with a scalpel on one, uh, leg. It was a vaguely SF plot and there was a lot of fuss and both about how naturalistic all the insect movement was, and how the devs watched REAL ACTUAL SPIDERS for how they moved.
Are you sure it was for PS2? Because Spider: The Video Game was a PS game that sounds like exactly what you're describing, you play a sort of bionic spider with a blade on one leg and I believe there were additional enhancements for other legs/body parts that you earned/acquired throughout the game.

I had a copy my cousin gave me because a friend of his was somehow involved in its development - animation, in fact, I think. Don't recall much else than that, though.

A friend bought my PUBG, and I get to see what all the fuss is about! I think a reddit post said it best: It's (one of) the best bad game(s) I've ever played. Fun, great concept, execution is about as polished as a dung beetle's home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigLickJF View Post
Are you sure it was for PS2? Because Spider: The Video Game was a PS game that sounds like exactly what you're describing, you play a sort of bionic spider with a blade on one leg and I believe there were additional enhancements for other legs/body parts that you earned/acquired throughout the game.

I had a copy my cousin gave me because a friend of his was somehow involved in its development - animation, in fact, I think. Don't recall much else than that, though.
I think that actually was it, yeah. I could've sworn it was PS2. Then again, I also remember it looking a lot better than those screenshots do! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I think that actually was it, yeah. I could've sworn it was PS2. Then again, I also remember it looking a lot better than those screenshots do! :P
Heh, yah, I looked it up myself and actually thought the same thing. As I recall the animation was pretty good though, and being able to walk on the walls and ceiling was kind of cool. Don't remember much else about it, so it probably wasn't terrible, but clearly wasn't especially great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
A friend bought my PUBG, and I get to see what all the fuss is about! I think a reddit post said it best: It's (one of) the best bad game(s) I've ever played. Fun, great concept, execution is about as polished as a dung beetle's home.
Let it be remembered: properly working games are not ALWAYS better than broken but fun games.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

One of my biggest pet peeves is referring to spiders as insects in any connotation other than being the spider's food. Spiders are arachnids, not insects. Especially when a product, book, game, or anything sold does it. Google exists now. If it's made prior to google, then I may give them a pass. Still annoying to me though.

Quote:
ped·ant·ry
/ˈped(ə)ntrē/
noun
excessive concern with minor details and rules.
"to object to this is not mere pedantry"
synonyms: dogmatism, purism, literalism, formalism; More
I'm not saying that makes you That Guy™, natural, but I am thinking it. =)

Everyone's pedantic about something they say. So we are all THAT GUY at some point.

I finally beat my first XCOM2 Long War 2 campaign last night. 238 missions, that's a long war all right.