So what class(es) is this Halfling? - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

So what class(es) is this Halfling?

So what class(es) is this Halfling?

See her? How would you build her in 5th edition? I have very little experience with 5th edition and essentially there is a new game taking place in the campaign world I'm playing in. This picture here happens to look like the sister of my character, so I'd like to play her!

The problem is, I wrote this sister to be a paragon, hard working, moral, socially capable, tough as nails, and business savvy, all to show how rubbish, lazy, and flawed my character for the first game was
So:
  • No feats (except for Fighter level 6&14, and Rogue 10)
  • 27 point buy, No stats below 10
  • All WotC Hardcovers (PHB, Sword Coast, Volo's, etc.)
  • No UA. No Ravinca. No Eberron
  • Halfling
  • Trade Sheriff/Private Investigator
  • Lawful Good, tough, smart, and civic minded
  • Crossbow!
  • Some sort of excuse for that massive damn book and trinkets is helpful ;D

As I said, I have no idea what I am doing, however, I did know that it seemed like:
Investigation, Insight, Perception, Persuasion are all important for her to be a good investigator/watchman and that Stealth, Intimidation, Athletics are all things she should consider.

Some of my thoughts were:
  • Rogue start gives me 4 skills and Expertise, which goes a good way to making her a good investigator
  • Fighter(Battlemaster) seems like a really good pick for disarming/tripping criminals and being good at shooting
    or
    Fighter(Samurai) looks like a great choice for a tough character who is also socially/societally involved
  • Fighter 6 Gives me a feat which could be one of those ranged feats to make her good at the shooting

But again, I've no idea what I am doing like do I go crazy on fighter with 1 or 2 rogue, or do I go fighter 6 and rest in rogue (inquisitive) or rogue (arcane trickster) for her to have a reason to have that book? Or fighter (eldritch knight)?
  1. What was your first impression of the class(es) that character would have when you saw her?
  2. How would you build her with the vague outline of the concept/rules above?

First thing I see is either an Arcane Trickster Rogue or an Eldritch Knight Fighter. Of course, that's partly because I looked at the giant glowing crystal and saw flames at first. Still, it seems she would have some sort of magic which would explain the big honking book and the glowy thing. A slightly odder possibility, paladin. I'd even throw Arcane Archer into the mix, but it explicitly only works with longbow and shortbow, no crossbows.

Multiclassing isn't as useful in 5E as it was in the earlier editions. I'd advise against it unless you're going for a very specific combat schtick. That LG isn't something I see pairing with Arcane Trickster.

If crossbow is the weapon of choice, then Fighter (Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight) or Paladin would be my pick. Fighter nets you that Con save proficiency for nasty, bodily effects, while Paladin gets you that Wis save proficiency for nasty mental effects, plus that save-boosting aura. Skills can be covered by background and your creativity.

If Expertise is really important, I'd consider Fighter 2/Rogue (Scout) 3/Fighter X or just Bard. I like starting with Fighter for that Con save over the skills of the starting Rogue.

If the book is important, then Tome Warlock (Celestial or Hexblade) or Wizard. For a tough wizard, Fighter 1/Wizard X, maybe dare for two starting Fighter levels if Action Surge is something you're interested in. The crossbow would be mostly for show - her true power would be in her spells and her book.

So as mentioned I'm not very together on 5e: is it possible to elavorate a bit on builds and decisions to have her be competent in the areas and skills mentioned?
@TheGreyWulf you mention using my creativity and backgrounds to fill things out. I'm not really sure how to use creativity without being super familiar with what tools I have to work with to do so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silke 99 View Post
@TheGreyWulf you mention using my creativity and backgrounds to fill things out. I'm not really sure how to use creativity without being super familiar with what tools I have to work with to do so
In 5E, backgrounds are very flexible. You can swap a background's skill and tool proficiencies around - even build your own background from scratch - to find the best fit for your character concept. In this way, you don't have to stick to a particular background just for the proficiencies it gives.

For example, in my survivalist characters, I like the Outlander background's Wanderer feature, but I might not find the Athletics proficiency to be too useful every time. So, I might take Outlander then swap out Athletics for something that might fit better, such as Nature for the knowledge stuff, or maybe Acrobatics because my PC is more acrobatic than athletic anyway.

Careful planning and/or creativity can also work for you in maximizing the use of your skills in-game. For example, in interrogating a suspect, you might go in with a companion to play a routine (e.g. Good Cop, Bad Cop) and get Advantage on your rolls. Even better, grab a companion who knows how to cast Guidance and get a +1d4 bonus on top of that Advantage.

It's just that I've built a couple of Roguish characters - I wasn't exactly too happy with starting as a Rogue for the extra skills, and I also wasn't too thrilled with Expertise. Sure, they have their moments, but if you're going with a combat build, this might disappoint you. So, I'm letting you know that you might consider going single-classed Fighter, and cover for missing all those skills and Expertise from the Rogue through the conscientious selection and use of skills in the game.

What separates a combat build from a non-combat build? What are you not thrilled with skills and expertise?

I understand that you have come to these conclusions, but I've not got any insight into them; I get that you know how to make a single-classed Fighter fit the bill, and that there are ways to do it, but I don't understand how.

I'll throw my couple cents in here, I suppose.

((Also, I could be wrong, but I think when one talks "combat build" that means the character can deal a lot of damage in a fight. A non-combat build probably has a wide variety of skills and useful abilities great for exploration or social encounters, but is not optimized for damage-dealing.))

Based on the picture alone, she definitely strikes me as an Eldritch Knight. (I briefly considered Warlock, but I don't think that would fit after I read the other criteria.)

There is a variant background in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide called Investigator (sub type of City Watch). You get Investigation and Insight for skills, 2 languages (but you could potentially swap one or both out for a toolkit of some sort), and the starting equipment is probably not important here.

Fighters only get two skills, but you can pick up Perception. Then choose between Athletics or Intimidation depending on if you see her as the type to chase criminals or the type to interrogate them.

I don't think you said, but I checked your other character was a lightfoot halfling, so +2 Dex and +1 Cha.

Based on the way you described this character, regarding ability scores, it sounds like you want her to be generally good at everything, but that might keep her from specializing in anything. Dexterity and Intelligence are definitely important for being an Eldritch Knight, and a high Wisdom helps with Perception, Insight, and saving throws.

STR 10 DEX 15 CON 13 INT 14 WIS 13 CHA 12

The above includes racial bonuses. (I'm sure other people could come up with something better than I can.) I think she'd rely on those extra Fighter ASIs to boost ability scores higher as she levels. You might want to pick up Crossbow Expert as your first feat. I'd rank that higher than Sharpshooter because it will let her use multi-attack with a crossbow, and it sounds like you're feat-limited.

As for Eldritch Knight stuff.... Sadly, they are forced to take a lot of Evocation and Abjuration spells, but if you focus on protection and utility stuff as much as you can, that will help more since your spell attacks and saves will be low.

There's really no way to get all those skills you mentioned without starting as a rogue and/or taking the Skilled feat, but it's probably best to try and focus on the skills she absolutely needs the most and think of ways to compensate or get around the others.

Combat builds emphasize race/class combinations that prioritize combat mechanics (like the Battlemaster) over non-combat skills, like Intimidation or Performance. In many games, the gameplay rarely relies on social skills, so there aren't a lot of chances to use Charisma, Wisdom, or Intelligence skills, which can be the primary draw for non-combat oriented skills builds. In what @bwatford has described in his Roleplay vs Roll Play house rule, he basically stakes out the position that skill builds are not really a thing for his games. For instance, he will always prioritize a solid logical narrative over al modified skill roll. Skill builds, like some rogues and bards, are founded on the idea that the PC will be able to rely on expertise and high skill modifiers to increase the odds of success in a lot of non-combat settings.

That being the case, the tools you have to help explain how a Fighter can smooth-talk her way past a guard is to look at your character's history and the backstory you are creating. The events you introduce and establish in your application become canon (at least if you're picked to play) and can be referenced as support for why your character would be able to do whatever it is she is trying to do. Rather than relying on mechanics, think story and narrative. What experiences and general stories can you include that would help your character fill the role you envision them filling? Those stories give you ground to be able to justify your actions in meaningful ways that will satisfy the GM's question of "How or why do you think your character would be able to do that?"

@Tarien is correct in my assessment of roleplay vs roll play. However please keep in mind, if you are not good in the roleplay aspect as in coming up with exactly what to say, etc. then mechanics do play a part.

"If I need a skill check, I will roll one." aspect of the house rule.

Not saying this applies to you @Silke it is there so that everyone can participate and no character is left out of roleplaying because of a certain build. It also allows those that are less adept at convincing wording to rely a little more on their skill as a character.