Game Genre? - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Game Genre?

Game Genre?

Broadly speaking what game genre do you like. I am not talking about game systems, though in some cases like D&D they are very related.

I am especially into:
Fantasy Adventure games.
Pulp Adventure
Psi Adventure
Space Opera
Cosmic Horror
Supernatural Horror
Cyberpunk
Sci-fantasy Adventure
Noir Fantasy

I am am sure I could keep adding to the list but as the were the first to come to mind I am going to cap it off there.

I am curious to see your lists because there is probably a game attached I would like to ask about, or a genre I have never tried, and I am always interested in games I don't know.

I'm partial to:
Star Wars (the WEG D6 system),
Fantasy adventure like D&D (I'm one of those freaks that actually likes 4E),
alternate history/pulp hero/near future games (something close to modern, but slightly unfamiliar).

Had problems with super-hero because of the GM, not the game.
Others I would like to try, but availability of regular games (and gamers) is a problem.

Urban Fantasy and Spy-Fi are two genres I'd like to see get a little more love around the site. A Dresden game or a random Masquerade game crop up from time to time. The spy thing I've had poor luck with.

As a person in a similar boat of running games, more than being the player, I might give both a shot eventually again. Would really like to be playing in a GI Joe/Metal Gear Solid type game though.

Form my experience in other gaming communities, it is the role of the GMs (like it or not) to introduce a new genre until it catches on. Otherwise it is popular flavor of the week (Usually a D&D variant, but I have seen White Wolf games, Fate, and Shadowrun get their time in the sun as well)

I’m shifting this to Gaming Discussion, belongs over there. Carry on!

I have pretty strictly stayed within the fantasy adventure genre (exclusively D&D with a very heavy preference for the Forgotten Realms setting). Though a metal gear solid game would be way too much to resist. For a long time I have had a fascination with playing in a game that revolved around the "Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime" theme, though I have no idea how that would work, nor which genre that would fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
I have pretty strictly stayed within the fantasy adventure genre (exclusively D&D with a very heavy preference for the Forgotten Realms setting). Though a metal gear solid game would be way too much to resist. For a long time I have had a fascination with playing in a game that revolved around the "Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime" theme, though I have no idea how that would work, nor which genre that would fit in.
*looks at Username*

*looks at signature*

You don't say? In all seriousness though, I might give my MGS game a whirl again. Though it'll probably be a few months out depending on how my sci-fi game kicks off. Stupid chemo really killed my last round of game attempts. As for Mindcrime, given the story behind it, it screams as something to slap inside a World of Darkness game. However games that grimdark on depression and mental illness, I've sworn off for awhile. My head space cant handle them again just yet.

I enjoy just about every genre from the grim and dark to the light and silly. To me any setting or genre can be fun with the right group of players and gm. What's really important is just the people around the table online or physically being on the same wave length and having fun together. I've played completely silly games to VERY dark and disturbing settings.

I have a fondness for urban fantasy on the dark, more cynical side of the spectrum along with historical settings (whether with fantasy or sci-fi elements or not) along with mystery and investigative fiction since my first real dive into fandom and fiction started with detective fiction and noir police stories.