[Review] Twilight - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

[Review] Twilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildavinor View Post
No point to that ... She's already twisted. Her current boyfriend is a bit of a tool, but I can't convince her of that ... I'm just a parent after all.
Being a parent
That is the only reason I read the series, because I am a parent of a
Though mine much younger than yours I'll admit.
child. The only thing that held my interest, which appears to be why so many dislike it, is that the
Most of them anyway, the ones the books revolve around
Vampires in it where not A-Typical.

Best,
The Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
The way I hear it, parents object to the romanticizing of an unhealthy/abusive relationship.
That was not my concern, as I have not kidded myself that
ok not all but most
all pubescent teen relationships are unhealthy/abusive relationships. I was more concerned with overt sexuality and violence. Though the books had both, they where not
Though I was hesitant on letting the fourth into the hands of my daughter.
graphic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
The only thing that held my interest, which appears to be why so many dislike it, is that the
Most of them anyway, the ones the books revolve around
Vampires in it where not A-Typical.
Something just innately bothers me about vampires that sparkle in the sunlight. It's like they are an entire race of Mary Sues.

You can always convince him he's a tool and that it would be in his best interest to stop being one. With a shovel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
Something just innately bothers me about vampires that sparkle in the sunlight. It's like they are an entire race of Mary Sues.

^ This is hilarious and mortifying at the same time. How my sister (and millions of others) love this series is truly beyond my comprehension

In all honesty, I could really care less that the vampire was atypical, despite the fact that I'm a diehard Dracula fan. It's just...just...not a good book. None of the characters are likable, to the point where they're almost disturbing, and the writing is horrendous. Normally, I can deal with such things if the plot's good, but Twilight takes these two issues a bit too far.

I am not arguing the fame and fandom of the series makes sense, but curiosity makes me wonder if the dislike for the books is age based. I wonder if it is an 'older crowd' that finds it distasteful, kinda like my parents didn't like Rock and Roll. Like I said, I'm just glad my kids are reading, yes there are much better books but it (Twilight) could be worse than the alternatives in my case.

Best,
The Bane

Thank you, thank you all so very much. I truly mean it; i was actually curious what all the hullabaloo (don't see that word every day eh? was about, and i was going to check out the series just to find out, but my god, thats just freakin' terrible. You've all saved me from what would likely be a fatal case of brain rot.

And i'll stick to Anita Blake for my vampire novel needs, thank you very much. At least she kicks ass inbetween wangstings.