Uploading character sheets - Myth-Weavers

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Uploading character sheets

Uploading character sheets

Admins,

I downloaded a character sheet and what to upload it back (under a different name).

The page I get says:"Could not find phrase 'uploadchara_invalidfile'."

Any ideas what I might be able to do to get things working?

The sheet I'm working with is http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=180540

Steps:

Click Download sheet
Select lock
Click upload sheet
select the file downloaded previously
give it a new name
click upload sheet
get error message.

Browser: Safari on a Mac.

Cheers,
Chris

Unfortunately your excellent level of detail glossed over one item, sheetname (effectively the filename). Don't use quotes in filenames would be my first guess.

Im getting the same error message using firefox on a PC. This is my first Sheet so I didnt rename or anything. I thought it was just me so this is kinda good news : ) I might still be in luck if we can find a solution.

edit:
Found another thread dealing with this problem. going to quote so if others are having the same problem they will know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illien View Post
In layman terms, MW character sheets are in a complete different language than DDI ones. You can't upload directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugsy View Post
Sith his a tool that he wrote. Part of the problem is that WotC keep redefining the the layout of their XML so I don't know it's current status. The wiki entry still says "details to follow".

I'll chase him down and get him to post here.
they are referring this bug
#14: Sheet XML download/upload fails.
Type Bug Sheet
Status Assigned
Summary Sheets allow the input of unicode characters but the XML conversion code cannot handle unicode. The result is a failed upload on any file which has unhandled characters included. Need to fix all unicode in XML so we fix the problem as a whole rather than fixing it one character instance at a time as we have been doing.
Assignee Plugsy
Reporter Plugsy
Date 27-10-2009 17:38:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akostic View Post
they are referring this bug
#14: Sheet XML download/upload fails.
Type Bug Sheet
Status Assigned
Summary Sheets allow the input of unicode characters but the XML conversion code cannot handle unicode. The result is a failed upload on any file which has unhandled characters included. Need to fix all unicode in XML so we fix the problem as a whole rather than fixing it one character instance at a time as we have been doing.
Assignee Plugsy
Reporter Plugsy
Date 27-10-2009 17:38:49
I'm not really sure what all this means or how to make it work.

All that said. I ended up, on Firefox, getting to download and then upload with a new name, without the error. However, only about half the data ended up importing in the upload.

I really appreciate the sheet service, but it would be a whole lot more useful--at least to me--if we could find a way to make the download/upload process work smoothy. I'd welcome suggestions from anyone.

ShriekingDrake

The problem is, as Plugsy's report says, Unicode. So, to smooth the process of downloading and uploading, don't use Unicode characters on the sheet.

Excellent!

You know, now that you mention it, i think I might have encountered this bug before. It sounds mighty familiar. Sigh. I might even have a perl or python script for removing unicode characters..

Thanks!

-Orrin

I don't remember Unicode actually generating errors,I thought it just caused part of the data to vanish (which without warning is worse). Can someone post an xml file that they're having trouble with.