The RFT, still going strong!!! - Page 5 - Myth-Weavers

The RFT, still going strong!!!

Old Dec 6 '18, 12:41pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
The RFT, still going strong!!!

The Realm Folded Tavern - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

The Realm-Folded Tavern is looking for both GMs and Players.

What is the Realm-Folded Tavern? It's a community of players who run multiple adventures with many GMs, all using the same rules for character-building and advancement. Like the D&D 5e Adventurer's League, we provide the structure so that characters who finish one adventure can simply proceed with another one! How strong is it? It's been running for three and a half years now.

If you are thinking of running a D&D 3.5 game:

Consider running it at the Realm-Folded Tavern! You can decide which characters to accept in your game. You can make your own story and your own settings (the Tavern is a trans-dimensional out-of-space-and-time establishment). The only reason not to do so is if you disagree with the character creation rules we're using (see below). The more games that are running, the healthier this part of the 3.5 community will be, and the easier it will be for everyone to have fun! While the starting level for new characters is level 3, there are many well established characters all the way up to level 12 now.

If you want to play a D&D 3.5 game:

Consider creating a character using the Realm-Folded Tavern's rules! Most materials from D&D 3.5 are acceptable, and you can finally play a character who doesn't poof-vanish if a DM ghosts on you! You'll just go back into the pool of accepted PCs for the Realm-Folded Tavern (probably with some extra gold and xp), and then you can join another game.

The basic character creation rules are as follows, with more details in the forums themselves (HERE):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGronge View Post
Basic Character Generation
  • Gestalt Characters.
  • You can only progress through one prestige class at a time, as per normal Gestalt rules.
  • Fractional BAB and saves (please review your character sheets to reflect this).
  • 32 Point Buy (all abilities must be bought at 8 or higher)
  • Up to 2 traits.
  • Up to 2 flaws (1 extra feat per each flaw).
  • Starting level 1 through 3.
  • Max Health (Hit Points) Per Level.
  • There will be no multi-class penalties to experience points.
  • Once a class skill, always a class skill.
  • Class skills for each class should be clearly noted on your character sheet.
  • Permanent Intelligence increases do retroactively improve skill points.
  • Permanent Constitution increases do retroactively improve hit points.
  • Your effective level for a class feature (
    for an animal companion
    e.g.) cannot exceed your character level, unless you have a feature that explicitly state otherwise (
    the beastmaster's bonus to effective druid level for an animal companion can explicitly boost your druid level above your character level
    e.g.). Feats that combine class features or stack levels of different classes for a given class feature cannot increase your effective level above your character level.
  • A given spellcasting progression cannot be advanced twice at the same level (
    A level of wizard||loremaster only grants +1 to wizard CL, not +2
    e.g.)

Game Description:

The Realm Folded Tavern has all your needs and wants, from good ale, to not half bad food. The tavern provides everything for you, as long as you are a part of the Boards.

The Boards are a great part of the tavern and city. Many creatures from all around the realms come to this tavern to find missions, answers, or even questions. The tavern grants anyone entrance, anything and anyone.

Also, if anyone wants to run their own Board quest go ahead and do it! This is definitely open for others to try their hands at DMing.

Last edited by SamGronge; Dec 6 '18 at 12:45pm..
@Killfever - I never felt like I was "grinding out XP" with any of my characters during my time here. As a matter of fact, I make it a point to try and focus on character development over anything, and figure out the mechanics enough to keep my folks effective. Not every player is like that, and that's okay. I know of several players in the RFT who are quite heavy on actual roleplay, not just "non interaction", myself being one of them. As of right now, I have a bit of a gauntlet lined up ahead of me for an exiled dragonborn prince of a conquered nation to lead a war and take back his home. Quite a few characters of all levels are invested in it for various reasons, and I'm definitely planning on having room for more.

Still, I haven't gamed nearly as long as you, so I guess I don't have the ability to share your perspective on things just yet. If you feel tired of walking what you feel is the same path over and over again, that's okay. I'm not going to twist your arm to join us: you do what makes you happy. For me, I'm still energized and ready to continue for the foreseeable future, even if some of my characters take a while to reach higher levels. If you have a change of heart, I'd be more than happy to brainstorm characters and potential story arcs with you.

So, in short, thank you for your interest and your perspective! The door is always open if you change your mind.

@MadisonParker420 - Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I don't end up killing too many of my players' characters in the process.

For what it's worth I agree with Killfever and the others turned away by lower level play. I started gaming when I was 7 in 1983 with basic D&D, so I've been doing this for 35+ years now and as with most players, the bulk of that has been below level 7 or so.

RFT drew me in in spite of that strictly through the extensive library of monstrous savage advancement "classes". My RL weekly group is mostly low level stuff but is a great group and we've been gaming together for 20+ years so when I look at PBP I'm mostly looking for things I won't be able to do there. Gestalted monster classes fits that bill but the low starting level is absolutely a strike against RFT from my perspective.

Since RFT DMs can recruit for any level they want I don't see how allowing players to create characters that are level 5+, 7+, 9+ or whatever would be a problem. If people want to run lower, they post a mission for lower. This would also open up a larger player pool for DMs that want to run games involving enemy factions higher than CR5ish.

RFT is not my project, nothing but respect for those who take their time to organize it. I'm not criticizing but just offering feedback from part of the potential player base

EDIT: Wanted to add for the benefit of anyone considering applying, at least take the time to look at it. The character creation rules are generous, the monstrous classes are extensive and well done and the organizers are responsive and friendly. Great community that I would highly recommend despite my own preference for a different level of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
For what it's worth I agree with Killfever and the others turned away by lower level play. I started gaming when I was 7 in 1983 with basic D&D, so I've been doing this for 35+ years now and as with most players, the bulk of that has been below level 7 or so.

RFT drew me in in spite of that strictly through the extensive library of monstrous savage advancement "classes". My RL weekly group is mostly low level stuff but is a great group and we've been gaming together for 20+ years so when I look at PBP I'm mostly looking for things I won't be able to do there. Gestalted monster classes fits that bill but the low starting level is absolutely a strike against RFT from my perspective.

Since RFT DMs can recruit for any level they want I don't see how allowing players to create characters that are level 5+, 7+, 9+ or whatever would be a problem. If people want to run lower, they post a mission for lower. This would also open up a larger player pool for DMs that want to run games involving enemy factions higher than CR5ish.

RFT is not my project, nothing but respect for those who take their time to organize it. I'm not criticizing but just offering feedback from part of the potential player base

EDIT: Wanted to add for the benefit of anyone considering applying, at least take the time to look at it. The character creation rules are generous, the monstrous classes are extensive and well done and the organizers are responsive and friendly. Great community that I would highly recommend despite my own preference for a different level of play.
I never meant to sound like I was downing the community. I started playing when I was 7 in 1981,just like you cause the book says for 7 and up hey? lol. Yep and same thing now, everyone plays all low levels. That's where I lose my temper.

I've been playing this game for 37-8 years now..And I have to ow listen to people who've been playing for 3 months, tell me how the games played, there's no point beyond level 10, cause well.....THEYYYY have a PDF.....

Seriously??

K, lemme make my point here, the games designed to go high levels...

And wish people..Isn't the Giant Slayer spell they think it is..

Read Elminster and Mordenkainien and all them. Notice something?? the only thing they spent wishes on??

was raising their attributes..That's not done by mistake man.

If anyone wants proof, I'll take them on a short planar travel (no chance of char getting hurt, but bring one anyways for prescience applications). I'll show you by using strictly nothing but the words in the books, there'll be one adventure
I'll use ToEE, it works great. We'll goto the 9th plane of Hell. And the City of Brass in the Plane of Elemental Fire. And I'll prove it, with the games own words, that wish, is a piece of junk spell.

And the condemning evidence, will be the cover of the DMG (whose the final arbiter of wishes?yep,lol) with the Efreet on it. It was put there on purpose for that very reason and you'll know it. Like I said, everything will be done by the words of the books.

And that, will be the end of that spell. And the other one, that I refuse to mention.

Oh, before I go, lemme say something, Mordenkainen and Elminster, are from 1ed and 2ed, and those phb's, wish!! costed you 1d4 years off of your lifespan.... How did Humans!! like Elminst and Mordenk, Spend 25 dozen wish spells on raising atts?? without dying? oh, and if it costed you lifespan, why, in earth under heaven, would you use it to kill an enemy, instead of raising att's and kill them by being supreme above them?? So when you read the fantasy story books,(not the rpgs, just the novels) explain to me how Elminst and Mordenk, whom were under 1ed and 2ed rules, accomplished so many wishes?? Even Drizzt wouldve been under the same purview if he was casting them. Just to illustrate my point.

Lets see 3 month pdf boy answer me that question right there.

Looks like Mordenkainen and Elminster, really were geniuses. 9th level, you need int 18-19 to even cast it.
Check and Mate.

(excerpt from an 1edAD&D tabletop game about the wish spell)

PLAYER: "well, why not??"

DUNGEON MASTER: As he lifts the DMG with the Efreet on it with picture sowing to the group.

"Because, I'm the D.M." as he taps his finger on the book.

It happened in the BECMI system, they did the same thing as you guys. Oh wish spell wish spell!! There's no point in goin higher level anymore!!
So they at TSR Hobbies put the Efreet and the planar traveilng knowledge and hepled D.M.s put an end to it, so then he/she everyone can sit down and enjoy the game.

GAMER COLLEGE: Know your history!!!!>

@Cody1985 -- Like so.

The short version is, at each level you pick two classes, and for each stat a class would give you, you take the better of the two, and all the class features of both.

So if at level 1 you're a Fighter // Wizard, you would have a BAB of 1 (from Fighter), a Fortitude of 2 (from Fighter), a Reflex of 0 (since both are low), a Will of 2 (from Wizard), 2+INT skill points (because both are the same), d10+CON HP (from Fighter), one Fighter Feat, Scribe Scroll (from Wizard), the ability to summon a familiar, and the spellcasting of a Level 1 Wizard.

This gets a little trickier when you add in Fractional BAB and Saves, because you're looking at absolute values rather than net change at each level, but once you get going it's not so bad.

To those wanting higher powered games, feel free to stop by the Epic Tales from the Tavern where you can make 15th level tristalt characters using a variety of sources. Much like the RFT we depend on people to volunteer to DM a mission or series of missions.

I wouldn't normally hijack one ad thread for another game, but since SamGronge is the DM of both games, I doubt he'd mind.

Just my hesitance, I see most of the game threads are just arena combat. I know you need DM volunteers for games, but I don't see any recruitment for new games. Usually I make a character because I have something I want to do with it, not just a mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithamar View Post
To those wanting higher powered games, feel free to stop by the Epic Tales from the Tavern where you can make 15th level tristalt characters using a variety of sources. Much like the RFT we depend on people to volunteer to DM a mission or series of missions.

I wouldn't normally hijack one ad thread for another game, but since SamGronge is the DM of both games, I doubt he'd mind.
Much appreciated, this tickles my fancy. I had to stop myself from posting that disturbing 'this makes me moist' pic.