The Umbrella Academy - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The Umbrella Academy

The Umbrella Academy

I'm halfway through season one. I can't say that it's great..."great" is far too much praise for a story and show this disjointed and uneven.

But I'll tell you what: there's no way in hell that I'm not finishing it. It's flawed, sure, but it's compelling. Plus, a few characters stand out amidst a sea of others that generally don't. Poor Ellen Page doesn't have a ton to work with so far for her character, and Luther and Diego are pretty forgettable (albeit serviceable) action movie fodder. But Number 5 is surprisingly awesome, which isn't easy for any actor to pull off, especially a child one, and while Klaus can get on my nerves, he does at least have fantastic taste in music (if not fashion).

I still need to finish the last episode or two, but I've enjoyed the show for what I've watched. I personally really enjoy Klaus and 5. The music choices for the show are really good, too.

On a side note, my wife has a pet theory, but it's very spoiler-riffic, so, tagging:

I heard we might get a second season, and I'm curious to see where it'll go.

The second season is confirmed. I also enjoyed Klaus and 5. But Hazel and the donut lady were my favorite.

Hazel and the doughnut lady was absolutely adorable.

I did like how they inserted tiny things here and there to show that they (the Academy types) did all grow up together (especially early on, the dancing scene alone in various rooms bit), even if now they really don't get along.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Umbrella Academy and felt it got better with each episode. The whole family was screwed up. It is what made the show interesting.

I thought it was an excellent show. Not perfect, no, but excellent nonetheless. And the music choices were amazing at times and never bad.

The dancing alone bit in the first episode was great, did a lot to convey who each of these characters is.

One tiny bit I loved, when they go to finish the feast, Allison looks at the bottom of her can before ever so slightly shrugging and blowing the dust off. She checked the expiration date. It's one of those little blink and you miss it details and it completely sold the scene for me. Of course, the soda was VERY out of date and probably tasted about like drinking the can.

Agreed on Hazel and the doughnut lady. It was a May-September romance so sweetly and unconventionally done, it genuinely took me by surprise.

Not a bad watch though I think it dragged on at certain points, but giving the series some patience made it worth the watch.

Klaus and 5 were definitely show stealers I think. Klaus's love story in the Vietnam war was really really well done and gave the character a great development.

I personal disliked Ellen Page's character as she was written. I understand that was the feel the writers were going for but she was just so absolutely blah until the very end and by that point I had just chalked the character up for lost so I could not even empathize with her situation.

She was pushed off to the side her entire life and got used to always being quiet and in the background... Blah was definitely the point.

I really liked it. I don't think it will go down as one of the greatest shows ever and it was definitely kind of quirky, but actually I think it worked really well. It was kind of like a cross between X-Men and Ordeal By Innocence.

The music was great. That whole dance scene was a good example of quirkiness, I think; yeah, it made sense as a way of showing us a surprising amount about the various characters' characters, but you wouldn't expect something like that in most shows, it felt slightly non-serious. Also it opened with a violin Phantom of the Opera medley and then had a fight scene to They Might Be Giants.

I think though that did leave the pacing a bit uneven and made it feel a bit disjointed - but actually I don't care. Especially for a series rather than a film, I don't think something needs to conform to traditional formats to be enjoyable (obviously where things are a bit too slow, there's a risk of losing interest, but it's not necessarily the end of the world to spend some time exploring something which isn't all that related to the "plot").

Yeah, Vanya was a hard character to do since the point was very much that she had a very bland personality. If anything the changes felt a bit forced. Number 5 was definitely the winner, though.

I'm glad but I think slightly surprised to hear that there's a second series in the works. The ending was an obvious cliffhanger but it also felt like it could have been a proper ending still - a sequel might be hard to do and it will be interesting to see
Will they all be kids?
which direction they go in with it.

Also,