GenCon Blog (pics) - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

GenCon Blog (pics)

GenCon Blog (pics)

Hey all, this post is coming to you straight from Indianapolis in the lovely Embassy Suites hotel. It is yet early in our GenCon adventure (two days remain), but I wanted to let you know about the highlights so far.

First, I am very pleased to announce that the World of Farland won the silver ENnie for best fan site!!! Whoo-hoo! Farland staff and friends (ryator, etothemft, Valanduil, Galadwen, Malcall, Mrs. Malcall) and I attended the ENnie awards ceremony in the Westin Ballroom. We all wore Farland t-shirts and you can be sure the crew raised a rousing cheer when we heard that we took silver, which I was ecstatic about. However, then I had to give a speech, which I didn't know I would have to do, and being the first award of the evening, I was flustered and stuttered through it. Oh well. I forgot to say thanks to everybody, so let me do that now: thanks to all the Farland staff, contributors, and supporters! You guys rock. Also, thanks to Rodrigo and Myth Weavers for being Farland's development grounds.

During the ceremony, we raised a toast to those who couldn't be with us, especially Squeak ad Kanavel.

We sat at a table with publishers from the Inner Circle, Pencil Pushers, and Malhavoc Press. Later we got to schmooze with Rich Burlew from Order of the Stick, and with Sue and Monte Cook.

Afterwards we headed over to the Ram, a microbrewery, for a few beverages. The place was decked out for GenCon, and they offered such items on the menu as the Tarrasque Burger and Troll Fingers.

Today we're going to start of the day by venturing into the True Dungeon, then its back to the main area of the convention to wander around, demo some games, and check out all the cool stuff. I am also going to try to meet up with Medesha, and hey, maybe I will bump into my good buddy Krowout.

Hopefully we can get a DnD game in also. So much to do! Well, if I can, i will post more later. Time to get a move on.

NOTE: Mrs. Malcall took many pictures, and I will post those to this thread when she gives them to me.

Congrats Farland! Whoo! We did it. But to quote the great Ricky Bobby, "If you're not first you're last!" But oh well. Silver is good. Whoo!

Silver is great indeed. Quite an accomplishment. Farland you need to download the Silver Medal from the ENnies website and post it up on the Farland front page.

Congratulations and man do I wish I was there. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun. Have you had a chance to check out Monte's new RPG game and accompanying manual?

I'm sure Squeak is just kicking himself that he couldn't be there. I know I am. Again congratulations and can't wait to hear more of what is going on. Say hello to Medesha and Krowout for me. They don't know me I don't think. LOL

Ok, finish enjoying your weekend. Lots of work to do when you get back.

Thanks Kany.

Here's the update from day two:

We got up as early as our sleepiness allowed and went to the True Dungeon event. It was pretty cool, although there were still some things that could be ironed out (like the fact that it was so dim I couldn't see a damn thing). But the fighting mechanism (something like shuffle board) was well designed, and the puzzles were fun (oh and that it wasn't a true larp helped).

From there we went to the ain convention area, where we wandered around, played some games (like Hex, a card game that would make a great party game), and thoroughly checked out allthe booths. We met Medesha, hung out with her a bit, and played her Paizo demo of the DnD board game. Fun stuff! We also met Steve Argyle,the artist who painted the banner that we will be using in our new site roll-out. A nice and extremely talented guy, and he actually thanked me for wanting to use his art on the site! Of course I was the one who should be thanking him, and I told him so. From there we wandered around for hours more, just enjoying the atmosphere and all the games.

Oh, and I talked to the WOTC PR person. He told me that 4.0 was at least two years out, and probably more. He also said he thinks they will release the PHB II and DMG II as part of the SRD.

Next was dinner and a few brews. Then the entire Farland staff retired to our hotel where we had a few more brews and managed to play a DnD game. I ran them through as much of Chunky's Farland adventure, "The Endless Well," as I could. We stopped at 3 AM.

Today we are going to spend a few more hours at the con, and then it is time to wing our way home.

It's been a blast! Pictures to be posted when I get home.

Sounds like a blast Ric. And that quote up there sounds better coming from Will Farrel's mouth. 2 years out! C'mon what is that. I want 10 years out. Not 2. 3.5 will never die!!! Ha ha. Note to self: Save money to buy Medesha's book. Mmm. Brews. Ha ha. Well school starts for me tommorow sadly so that should mean that my writing time will increase. Also, I plan on getting a job at Taco Bell ASAP too so I can start saving my money for a new computer or whatever I want. Have fun today Ric and hope to talk to you soon. I hope to talk to all of you soon.

Yup -- still bangin my head up against a wall 'cause I didn't get to go.

Silver is good, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed... However, it will definitely leave us room to improve between now and August of next year so we can get the gold.

Quote:
We also met Steve Argyle,the artist who painted the banner that we will be using in our new site roll-out. A nice and extremely talented guy, and he actually thanked me for wanting to use his art on the site! Of course I was the one who should be thanking him, and I told him so.
Can't wait to see this.

Quote:
Oh, and I talked to the WOTC PR person. He told me that 4.0 was at least two years out, and probably more. He also said he thinks they will release the PHB II and DMG II as part of the SRD.
By all that is good and right in the world...Yes!!!!! I for one am not a fan of 4.0 so soon. I'm just barely starting to get used to 3.5.

Farland, I'm glad you and the crew have really enjoyed yourselves. Sorry to see it end. I'm sure you all are as well. See you on the boards when you get back.

Quote:
Silver is good, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed
I concur. I was really really hoping for the gold. We will make it next year!!!!!

Okay, here are some pictures from GenCon (first batch. Mrs. Malcall has the second batch, so I need to get those from her.)

Details

Pic One: Galadwen and Farland
Pic Two: Farland and ryator hoist a beer
Pic Three: Whole gang (from left-- Farland, Galadwen, Malcall, Mrs. Malcall, ryator, Valanduil, etothemft)
Pic Four: Back of t-shirts (from left--ryator, Valanduil, Farland, Galadwen, etothemft, Malcall)