Worldly Talk Closed - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremage View Post
Sad to see the trolls win. I know the site doesn't do this for ordinary forums, but would some form peer moderation ease the administrative burdens of this kind of forum (such as reddit thumbs or slashdot mod points or the stackoverflow system)? And would it be worth the dev burden to ease the mods' burden?

If it is only about a dozen key players, then limiting the power of those players relative to the rest of the community seems like an obvious answer to the problems outlined.

One thing I don't like to consider is the possibility of paid political trolls. If there are a few accounts who post primarily on the news portion of the site, who are pushing hard on political propaganda of one flavor or another, then those accounts might be paid propaganda artists.
It is ridiculous to support the notion that I was a political spai!

These accusations are unfounded and quite frankly there is no proof I was ever paid by Chester Barring or any other political organization to promote their views on the internet!

...also make sure to vote for Robert Buchanan.

*le coughs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremage View Post
Sad to see the trolls win. I know the site doesn't do this for ordinary forums, but would some form peer moderation ease the administrative burdens of this kind of forum (such as reddit thumbs or slashdot mod points or the stackoverflow system)? And would it be worth the dev burden to ease the mods' burden?

If it is only about a dozen key players, then limiting the power of those players relative to the rest of the community seems like an obvious answer to the problems outlined.

One thing I don't like to consider is the possibility of paid political trolls. If there are a few accounts who post primarily on the news portion of the site, who are pushing hard on political propaganda of one flavor or another, then those accounts might be paid propaganda artists.
With all due respect, I do not think something to the effect of a witch hunt is civil or wise. What constitutes a "troll?" If someone blatantly violates the site rules I can somewhat understand this sentiment. If, however, "troll" is taken as someone who argues (in the sense of the word found in logic/philosophy/academic debate) for ideas which one does not agree with, ... well the solution for that would either be to debate or agree to disagree.

It was precisely because of that "debate or agree to disagree" civil discussion theme that I loved to read threads in Worldly Talk; and, only recently, attempted to add my own two cents therein.

I think the mods' reasoning is sound. This is primarily a RPG forum, that's where their attention should be at.

Although I think many of the issues could have been avoided if more threads had kept civil, I also think in respect of our diverse membership, with people from all over the world coming to this site, we really didn't need threads that put down faiths, nationalities, genders, and more whether there was a civil-tone to it or not. We all are entitled to our opinions on these matters, but on this forum we've agreed to follow the site rules, making a number of topics better off debated elsewhere.

I'm not really surprised at this outcome. As a former heavy contributor to WTF, I'll echo Leons words that it was by far and away and without a shadow of doubt, the most civil of any discussion forum I've ever encountered in my many years roaming the interwebs. And honestly, I can't think anyone who seeks to open such a forum could realistically hope for a nicer environment. I honestly had no idea people even got infractions until I landed my first. Indeed, I'm not sure what type of environment was hoped for in the gathering of complete anonymous strangers to talk about politics/world affairs, but if WT wasn't good enough with those ingredients then I don't see anything else arising in its place.

If feedback is ever sought for the opening of a similar forum, I think a big flaw of WT was its over-abundance of rules. As we can see they didn't make anything better, it just created more work for the Mods. If you pass enough laws, everyone becomes a criminal eventually. Personally I think a number of people just used the rules as a sword to try and silence those with opinions they didn't like which resulted in endless reporting which only created more work for the mods and which had no consequences for the reporter if their claim was found wanting. That is of course, just a suspicion on my part, as I don't have any hard evidence to back it up.

Anyways, if it ever gets opened again, the only rules you really need are a) don't swear and b) no personal attacks. As the WT's traffic was so minute compared to the rest of MY's activity, its deliberations will be confined within the dozen or so people who are most active within it, and they are more than capable of establishing a social environment in which people know who can be conversed with, who can be ignored, who'll post bogus rubbish etc Entry into the forum is understood by those participating that passions are going to rise at times along with a helpful reminder of the Ignore function.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Rest in peace, Worldly Talk, we had some fun times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytebio View Post
I concur, very well said.

I just had a really awesome, terrible idea.

What if we made a homebrew game, right, that basically served as a debate forum where we debated, as if it were "a game" and then kept the talk off the public forum so any hostility wasn't out in the open but kept in a private place outside of the large scale mythweavers website?

I realize that the private forums made specifically to play games aren't made necessarily to have a discussion per say, but that function of the sight would allow for political talk outside of the actual main forums of the sight. I talk about life and game design in game forums all the time even though it's meant for gaming.

We could gamify it in a sense if that was needed, or we could just call it a "homebrew game" for a debate. The primary basis would be to set up argument in a sort of scientific method, where a hypothesis is presented and then evidence is provided to support that hypothesis. No-one has to agree and devil advocate's would be allowed to test it ad infintum until the last argument, but people could make their own judgments. I know that's not really what mythweavers is for, but it could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBarbarian View Post
I just had a really awesome, terrible idea.

What if we made a homebrew game, right, that basically served as a debate forum where we debated, as if it were "a game" and then kept the talk off the public forum so any hostility wasn't out in the open but kept in a private place outside of the large scale mythweavers website?

I realize that the private forums made specifically to play games aren't made necessarily to have a discussion per say, but that function of the sight would allow for political talk outside of the actual main forums of the sight. I talk about life and game design in game forums all the time even though it's meant for gaming.

We could gamify it in a sense if that was needed, or we could just call it a "homebrew game" for a debate. The primary basis would be to set up argument in a sort of scientific method, where a hypothesis is presented and then evidence is provided to support that hypothesis. No-one has to agree and devil advocate's would be allowed to test it ad infintum until the last argument, but people could make their own judgments. I know that's not really what mythweavers is for, but it could work.
You could make it a freeform role playing game, where players 'play' out said debates. But that still sounds too much like seeking loopholes and sounds far more prone toward becoming an echo chamber.

How about you don't try and find ways to circumvent a change in site policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
How about you don't try and find ways to circumvent a change in site policy.
It's not an attempt to circumvent sight policy but just a way to keep it away from the public in general and only keep it to the handful of people who choose to debate in that manner. That way if people are hateful and vitriolic they don't spread it like a cancer to the rest of mythweavers and it just stays in the private forum.

Unless you really mean something like that would be against the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elround4 View Post
You could make it a freeform role playing game, where players 'play' out said debates. But that still sounds too much like seeking loopholes and sounds far more prone toward becoming an echo chamber.
This would be the biggest concern which is why recruiting the right people would ultimately need to be a key purpose.