“Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected” Who does martial arts? - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

“Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected” Who does martial arts?

I took a Hap Ki Do class at my college this last semester. Its in cooperation with the best dojo in town and they also do Judo, Tae Kwon Do, and a little Kumdo (Chinese sword art). When I can afford it, and lose some weight I'll be joining them. They are really affordable, and the current master, and also the one running the school, as the master has a job, were taught by grand master Yu, who studied under 2 famous generals in Korea and each invented the modern form of one of the 2 Korean martial arts he studied.

I did Ninjitsu when I was a bit younger and got to the point of advancing into the yellow belt (high ranking, I know), but a job offer pulled me away. I was interested in doing muay thai/MMA, but never had the time to commit to it these past few years due to uni.

At the moment it looks like I'll be moving to Japan by the end of the year for a job for 3 years, so I'm interested in doing Kyokushin Karate (the full-contact version).

I expect there are plenty of people around here who are into martial arts. I myself am a master of the Toad Style of the Kwan Lun School, and the Buddhist Palm Which Falls from Heaven.

Forget those puny arts, I have studied the words of Lu-Tze, the only master of Deja Fu.

It has been a few years, but I had studied muay thai, boxing and jiu-jitsu. I have an unbroken . . . losing streak in sanctioned jiu-jitsu tournaments. In my defense, I was usually competing against people half my age.

I studied a variety in college, but haven't had time to keep up with it:

*Muay Thai (my personal favorite of the list)
The guy who taught my instructor was a victor in 86 blood ring matches in the Philippines. Dude knew what worked and what didn't.
Arnis
*Jiu-jitsu
*Tae Kwon Do
*Judo
*Hapkido
*Knifefighting (rubber training knives still hurt)

Plus splashes of several other disciplines. Our training included a lot of different scenarios (like how to disarm opponents, fighting against superior numbers, etc.).

I've trained / am training in boxing, kick-boxing, BJJ and a bit of Aikido (Aikido sucks imo, so I quickly quit it, but hey, I can still ukemi pretty well, and that's a transferrable skill for parkour!). Not too seriously, but only for lack of time and an overabundance of obligations.

I basically like anything that offers unscripted mid to high intensity sparring, and have a lot of respect for Judo, Wrestling, Muay Thai, TKD and some other arts / sports. It is all great fun, though I am definitely not the most gifted at it!

I’m a third degree black belt in judo, instructor at a not-for-profit club in the Chicagoland area. Trained in Japan for two years and received my shodan from the Kodokan. Massive respect for BJJ, it’s very complimentary to judo and probably the best workouts I’ve ever had, but find that many clubs are more geared towards MMA and profits.