Quick questions and answers - Page 561 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
D&D 3.5
What is meant by Gish? A Google search just came up with builds and no definition. Is it the same as Gestalt?
A gish is just a non-official term for a character that's a capable spellcaster and melee fighter; the Eldritch Knight PrC is a perfect example of this. The name comes from some of the old githyanki flavor text from 1E and 2E; githyanki could be multiclass fighter/mages and were called 'gish'. The name just kind of stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
D&D 3.5
What is meant by Gish? A Google search just came up with builds and no definition. Is it the same as Gestalt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Etymology

The term originates in the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) game, where it originally referred to a Githyanki fighter/wizard combination.

Noun gish (plural gishes)
  • (role-playing games) A magician, or character that is skilled in both physical combat and the use of magic. Most gish characters use their magical abilities to increase their own personal combat abilities (known as "buffing").
The 'gold standard' of a gish (IIRC) is a character with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher and 7th level or higher spells/powers at 20th level, though most aim at BaB +17-18 and 9th level spells / powers.

Thanks guys.

BTW, for the Construct to push me in the air, is there no rules at all about this? My GM is very rules intensive

Guess searching for gish + 3.5 was not my smartest idea. In my defence, I was working on my level 12 gestalt character, re-writing one of my player's character sheets because theirs had become a mess, and dealing with family duties.

I've learnt to not try doing anything when I have a grab-happy kid (not mine, my sister's) on my lap because I spend half the time trying to make sure they don't grab stuff, especially the choke hazard that is the cap of my USB stick, which is what I use to store my Uni work on to make it easier to transition between varying machines.

Clairtangent Hand: The wording "emulates" is confusing, along with "conjunction"

I assume I need neither far hand nor clairvoyent sense to use the original power. If I augment it, do I get the choice of those 3 powers even if I don't have them? For instance, for 17PP total, could I use Clairtangent Hand with TK Force effect? Even if I have no TK powers in my list?

Thanks

Mutants and Masterminds third Edition: DC Adventures.

Is there a power that works opposite Insubstantial to increase the characters density? If so, where is it stated out at?

No. But all you need to simulate it is Altered Form granting increased Protection and possibly Strength, maybe a few other things, attach a complication related to the increased weight and voila.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
Clairtangent Hand: The wording "emulates" is confusing, along with "conjunction"

I assume I need neither far hand nor clairvoyent sense to use the original power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairtangent Hand

You can emulate a far hand effect at any distance while simultaneously emulating clairvoyant sense to target your far hand; see the appropriate power descriptions. Clairtangent hand’s duration is up to 1 minute per level when used with a far hand effect.
Let's break this down:
1) Manifesting Clairtangent Hand works exactly as if you're manifesting the Far Hand power, except its range is unlimited.
Now we have a problem, though: With unlimited range, we need a way to actually see what we want to manipulate with the Far Hand effect. Thus, we have the following:

2) Manifesting Clairtangent Hand has the added effect of a Clairvoyant Sense manifested upon the area the Far Hand effect is manifested.

So, with the Clairvoyant Sense effect, we can target any location we know reasonably well or that can easily be defined (beyond this door, etc).

You need to know neither of the mentioned powers. They are just referenced so that their text doesn't have to be duplicated for this power's description.
Protection from Good
This spell functions like protection from evil, except that the deflection and resistance bonuses apply to attacks from good creatures, and good summoned creatures cannot touch the subject.
cf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders
If I augment it, do I get the choice of those 3 powers even if I don't have them? For instance, for 17PP total, could I use Clairtangent Hand with TK Force effect? Even if I have no TK powers in my list?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
Augment
If you spend 8 additional power points, you can emulate clairvoyant sense in conjunction with either telekinetic force, telekinetic maneuver, or telekinetic thrust, but this power’s duration expires as soon as any of the noted telekinetic powers deals damage.
If augmented, Clairtangent Hand works like above, except that instead of providing an effect identical to Far Hand, it provides an effect identical to either Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Maneuver or Telekinetic Thrust.
Again, you don't need to know any of these other powers. Again, they are referenced as to prevent the need of duplicating the rules text of those three powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
No. But all you need to simulate it is Altered Form granting increased Protection and possibly Strength, maybe a few other things, attach a complication related to the increased weight and voila.
Thanks!

Edit: Say, is there already a stat out for Ray Palmer, AKA The Atom for the system somewhere?