4-02 | Greycloak | Out of Character - Page 125 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4-02 | Greycloak | Out of Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgottabeodin View Post
I don't see why someone can't grab us by our collars and drag us out. Ransom hardly weighs anything.
Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do as soon as the ghast heads for Tal.

Not that it matters in this case, but I was under the impression that Full Defense is a full round action and precludes any other actions?

Standard action (and has been since 3.5 at least). After not knowing the rules for when you can and cannot use diplomacy, that's one of the most misunderstood rules on here.

I've got a mess of chores so won't be able to update until later today.

In vote of the most misunderstood rule in 3.5, I'd have to go with Take 10/Take 20. I can't tell you how many times I've heard GM's or players refer to them as automatic successes or having no clue that they can Take 10 in any given circumstance. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen people Take 20 when looking for traps or picking a lock.

T20 for trap checking is a different issue for me.

Like I said some other time before, if the PCs abuse the T20 rules for traps in my game the monsters start to get automatic T20 checks as well (adjusted for distance etc.) to hear the group standing around as each millimetre gets looked over.

I personally T10 a *lot* as GM and player. As GM, my monsters T10 on stealth and perception most of the time that they are able to do so because it represents an average amount of care and vigilance and then makes the encounter be more about how the PCs roll than having some wild swing in the statistics (which with a large enough group of monsters tends to wipe out any chance at PC stealthing).

Just a note: Tal can withdraw from that position safely as the first square doesn't apply for AoO and the second square has cover so also doesn't draw an AoO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycloak View Post
T20 for trap checking is a different issue for me.

Like I said some other time before, if the PCs abuse the T20 rules for traps in my game the monsters start to get automatic T20 checks as well (adjusted for distance etc.) to hear the group standing around as each millimetre gets looked over.
1. It's a subjective call about what is abusive, but I don't have an attitude that players can be considered to abuse something that is a legal part of the rules. It's like claiming someone is abusing Power Attack. T20 its nominally a 2 minute search per the rules and it has negligible impace in real time for someone to T20.

2. Giving monsters T20's on hearing someone T20 to search for Traps is completely reasonable. Just remember the non-searching players would get the same T20 on their perception/listen checks to hear the monsters as well.

That having been said, I think it's perfectly reasonable and desirable for the a module/scenario to try to control the speed at which PC's need to move through the encounters. Just as some times being overly cautious, or more accurately, taking too much time in any given section should be fraught with peril, so should moving too quickly. And the module should give clues as to when to do which.

In any good novel, the author gives the reader clues on what to expect. Bringing something in from left field that no reader could have anticipated, is not the hallmark of good writing. A good module is similar. It should reward players for paying attention, not throw curve ball after slider after knuckleball to prove the author is able to outsmart the player. One of the cheats for any module is that it doesn't have to be plausible. An author/GM can introduce any kind of nonsensical encounter/trap without having to justify why such a thing exists or how it could ever come into being. So it's trivial to fool players into making bad decisions.

Short version: There should always be consequences to decisions, but those consequences should be employed as an organic/plausible reason rather than the GM trying to punish players or dictate how the game should be played.

Just my opinion.