Quick questions and answers - Page 560 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

All I really need is for the players to be able to come up with spell effects on the fly, roll against a DC that I decide as the GM, and have the effects take shape as described by the players. Essentially, I'm looking for a system where I can have all magic decided with a simple skill check, while allowing a lot of wiggle room for the players to decide the exact effects.

I'm trying to step away from rigid magic systems that have preset "spell" selections that you have to choose from, for this specific game.

It's been a while since I've read the book, but it sounds like what you're looking for is Dresden Files RPG. Its magic system was pretty flexible, if I recall correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProximaC View Post
It's been a while since I've read the book, but it sounds like what you're looking for is Dresden Files RPG. Its magic system was pretty flexible, if I recall correctly.
This was my original plan, but I decided that Dresden comes with a lot of fluff and baggage that I don't want to have to forcefully pry out of the game before I start it. That said, Dresden and FATE are both offshoots of FUDGE, so I assumed that one of the FATE versions might fit my needs without the fluff associated with a pre-created universe. Hence my question.

I'd recommend taking further discussion to a new thread. The FATE community is bound to have some suggestions that are a bit too verbose to fit the format of this thread.

Levitate + Astral Construct (flying ability)

Can the AC move me around in the air? Since it only has to move me laterally, can it do so? What's the checks, penalties, etc?

Thanks!

"You can toughen your body against wounds, lessening their impact. During the duration of this power, you gain damage reduction 2/-. "

-Biofeedback

Is this against physical damage only, or would it help against a magic missile or such?

It's not even against all 'physical damage'. Falling damage, for instance, ignores it, along with oh so many other things.

"Damage Reduction
A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
Levitate + Astral Construct (flying ability)

Can the AC move me around in the air? Since it only has to move me laterally, can it do so? What's the checks, penalties, etc?

Thanks!
This isn't RAW by any stretch of the imagination, but it's how I'd rule the situation if it came up in any of my games. Since a character can push or drag along the ground up to 5 times their maximum load, and favorable conditions can double that (and it's hard to imagine a more favorable condition than 'object floating under its own power'), I'd total up the weight of the levitated character and all their gear, and treat the Astral Construct as carrying a tenth of that for determining whether they're under light, medium, or heavy load.

D&D 3.5
What is meant by Gish? A Google search just came up with builds and no definition. Is it the same as Gestalt?