"Masque of the Red Dead Redemption"? - Myth-Weavers

"Masque of the Red Dead Redemption"?

"Masque of the Red Dead Redemption"?

I have a daft idea influenced in part by Call of Cthluhu, Masque of the Red Death, and Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption line.

For the most part this is just 1890s Earth and while some people are highly superstitious in places, very few actually know that monsters and magic do exist.

Now I don't actually want to use the Van de Linde gang, but they probably do exist in the backdrop. Depending on the game year, they may even be in the area.

Genre: American Western with a dose of Survival Horror
Setting: Gothic Earth in the 1890s / on the alternate Earth of Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption series.
* Starting location: St Denis, state of Lemoyne.
System: High Stakes / Low HD d20. The heroes are fragile, monsters are rightfully terrifying and frankly a bit unfair... but you get guns! Mortals have 1 to 3 HD. And nobody has more than 9 ranks in anything. Class features (if any) can still accrue past these limits.

Call of Cthulhu: The Mythos is a subtle threat lying in the background. No PCs start with knowledge that actual monsters exist.
Masque of the Red Death:
Masque of the Red Death is a campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, named after the Edgar Allan Poe short story of the same name. The setting was published after the release of the Ravenloft campaign setting in 1994 as Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales, and is regarded as an add-on for that line. Masque of the Red Death has many of the same qualities as Ravenloft, such as "power checks" and restricted magic, including limited planar travel. Unlike Ravenloft, the location of the adventures is Gothic Earth, an 1890s version of Earth where fantasy creatures exist only in the shadows of civilization. Many notable real-life figures or 19th century literary characters are included for the players to interact with, including Van Helsing, Jack the Ripper and Dorian Gray.

In 2004, White Wolf Games released a D20 System version of the setting in hardback under the Sword and Sorcery imprint.
MotRD was a Ravenloft sub-setting from the mid-90s set in 1890s "Gothic Earth". As I don't have WWG's d20 version, I won't be using any of that material...
Red Dead Redemption: a vidya game series set in an alternate America with locations vaguely based on RL. Lemoyne, for example is in "the South". And New Austin is sort of an analogue to New Mexico and/or Texas. I will be using RDR2's maps for this game, traveling outside of those locations is "off of the map", and The Mists come into play there. RDR1 had a DLC for a zombie apoc scenario. RDR2 has at least three forms of undead you can encounter, as well as a couple of encounters with aliens, a time traveler, and other mysteries.

Disclaimer: kitbashing this might just be too much effort, but if there is enough interest for a thing, I'll see what I can do.

This is odd enough that I feel obligated to express interest in at least seeing where it goes lol.