DC Universe - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

DC Universe

I might wind up spending at least a trial period with it when Teen Titans Season 6, Young Justice Season 3, and anything else in the early line up I'm interested in seeing are there.

Binge Watching them all. And then letting it laps. At most a 1 month period before cancelation.

I think this is a horrible idea. Maybe it would have worked, but then we saw the Titans trailer and that corrected THAT misconception quickly. (Yes, the pacifist maiming and torturing, 3 iconics that barely look half way right, and Robin dropping angry F'bombs and murdering people in cold blood like he's Jason Todd post Red Hood Transformation. That can't back fire at alllllll.)

We've been having a great time with DC Universe. Our favorites:

-Linda Carter Wonder Woman! (my SO's fav!)
-Batman TAS and Superman TAS (which we've already watched on Prime)
-Legion of Super Heroes (a favorite of the 13 and 7 year-olds)
-Static Shock (I'm constantly surprised at how good this is)
-Birds of Prey (the 15 year-old and I love love love this; it is a perfect example of early 2000s teen melodrama . . . which is our jam)

And, of course, we just started Young Justice season 3, and it is off to a great start!

We've also been using their comic reader to read some of the comics they have available. They are pretty hit and miss on what they have, but it is still pretty cool.

Is it worth $8 a month forever? Not really, but for about $25, you can get three months of binging some cool cartoons. It might be worth doing that every year. I can see us signing up for it over Christmas and summer breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinswithoutus View Post
I was not aware it existed xD
Me either. I'm tempted to try it out for Young Justice 3 but I think I'll wait till the full season is up. I love me some DC Animated. The live action Titans looks bad, but I guess that's par for DC's course.

Static Shock was SO good. Static was probably the best thing to come out the whole Milestone venture.

DC Universe has been incredible thus far, between "Titans" and "Young Justice". If you like the maturity level of "Jessica Jones", "The Punisher", or even "Runaways", "Titans" is incredible. I actually, REALLY don't believe anyone that was actually reading the Teen Titans comic book around the time of the Marv Wolfman/George Perez run is actually getting THE EXACT COMIC BOOK THEY READ made into a live action show.

Do we not remember the time frame when Robin became Nightwing? "F Batman" WAS his attitude. Heck, this was a comic book that had Deathstroke in a pedophiliac relationship with Terra! This isn't darkness for darkness sake - that actually WAS the book!

Young Justice... is EXACTLY where it needs to be. If you are a fan of the previous Young Justice series, they've kept it going so far, adding in comparatively mature themes as well. YJ has hit some heavy themes that have been in the news as well thus far.

It's great stuff. I look forward to seeing some dark comedy in Doom Patrol; the voice actors for Robotman and Negative Man were hilarious, Elastigirl was shown as an incredibly tragic character and Chief... well, he kinda bordered on being a bad guy anyway...

I don't think it is worth it to compare DC Universe to the Disney service. This isn't Marvel vs DC - this is Marvel, Star Wars, and THE MOUSE vs DC in that comparison. I actually compare DC Universe to WWE Network; it's a niche service that happens to have the possibility for enough dedicated fans to keep things profitable and moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Static Shock was SO good. Static was probably the best thing to come out the whole Milestone venture.
Quick side note - at least one new DakotaVerse is shown in Young Justice.

Well, those would have been the only real contenders with Static for best stuff from Milestone, so color me happy.

OK, Xombie was really cool in its own weird way and so should have been a Vertigo book, it might have actually had a decent run there.

I agree it's unfair to compare DCU to Disney, except that that's exactly what I have to do because I can probably only afford one of them. And I doubt I'm the only person in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
I agree it's unfair to compare DCU to Disney, except that that's exactly what I have to do because I can probably only afford one of them. And I doubt I'm the only person in that situation.
Well, heck yeah. If you can only pick between DCU and Disney, you take the Mouse every time.

But that is like saying "Well, I'd rather Netflix to WWE Network". They aren't the same kind of product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
I think this is a horrible idea. Maybe it would have worked, but then we saw the Titans trailer and that corrected THAT misconception quickly. (Yes, the pacifist maiming and torturing, 3 iconics that barely look half way right, and Robin dropping angry F'bombs and murdering people in cold blood like he's Jason Todd post Red Hood Transformation. That can't back fire at alllllll.)
Check out the reviews. It didn't backfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMRenaissance View Post
Well, heck yeah. If you can only pick between DCU and Disney, you take the Mouse every time.

But that is like saying "Well, I'd rather Netflix to WWE Network". They aren't the same kind of product.

Check out the reviews. It didn't backfire.
If it helps, the Mouse of late has been working really hard to take Star Wars out of that competition stack up, and if the advertising for the next Marvel movie is any indication, are interested in taking Marvel out of the running as well.

So choosing The Mouse over DC might not be such a big deal for much longer.

Yes. I am sure, just like everything else I have hated in entertainment in the last few years, It has massive stacks of professional critics who openly wear there ulterior motives on there sleeves claiming it's the greatest human achievement since figuring out how to cook meat with fire. And has a few die hard's whom I'm sure have similar ulterior motives who will defend it in the face of anything and everything unto the death.

These two things do not make it good, worth watching, or worth extra money. I don't even have cash I'm willing to throw at HBO for Game of Thrones or Youtube for Youtube Red to make sure channels I watch get paid with out me having to put up with 4-15 long infomercials in front of and at one or more points during a video. I sure as hell don't have extra money for this BS on a monthly basis.

(As for the comics, yes, the Wolfman/Perez era could get fairly dark. I have NOT seen dick Greyson in a single one of those books kick the business end of a knife into someone's throat as the trailer very, very clearly makes a point of showing. Nor did I ever see Dove torture or Maim anyone. And Starfire didn't just stone cold Vaporize people like she was Punisher but with powers. And THAT'S being altogether overly generous to the show and not coming after them for altering either team configuration or character appearances in a radical manner. As if we hadn't learned that most "Adaptations" that do that are doing it cause the people making them either don't understand, don't care, or both. And in DC's case, frequently the last one were live action is concerned. Sorry, I've seen The Arrowverse and The Snyderverse and whatever-verse-Supergirl is in. You have to PROVE too me I should think your better than that ahead of time, and so far I see not one thing that makes me think that they are.)

They had there big chance to show me they had learned one single thing form The Synderverse failing. They blew it.

I will stick to my position. Probably pick it up for a free trial period, and maybe a month after that, Binge what I care too off of it, and then let it lapse.

Frankly were all better off if BOTH streaming services and all the other one's like them, such as CBS All Access, curl up and die and the sooner the better.

There was an interesting passage in there that you edited out that went something like "Prove to me that this is worth it".

No. That's not how this works, either on the Internet or in real life.

"Titans" didn't backfire because it got good ratings and reviews. That is the purpose of a show - for people to watch it. Getting good reviews goes toward that. /YOU/ may have been turned off by it, and in that case you probably shouldn't do the DC Universe streaming service.

However, the idea that it is a failure when it did the thing it is supposed to do (get good ratings and press) doesn't make sense.

In re: violence - this is 2018 vs 1988. If they could have done it in 1988, they would have. Exhibit A: Starfire wouldn't vaporize a baddie threatening to kill someone that she loved in "The New Teen Titans", but I sure betcha Starfire of "Red Hood & The Outlaws" would have. At the risk of coming close to a spoiler, there is a reason for Dick's violence, and it has to do with the path we know he takes in the comics to get to being Nightwing.

Finally, no offense, but if you don't have the money for the product, you're kinda not the target audience.