Notices


Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.


Playing A Garbage Character

   
Many times in our home game of D&D I've tried to make a garbage character.

Like my half orc bard-barian dragon disciple. Our table is limited to core rules only. It actually ended up being one of the most powerful characters just due to how the 3e class worked. He was a better fighter than the fighter, and a better enchanter than the sorcerer. It was a very strange thing indeed.

I'm a terrible optimiser. So, I guess you could say most of my characters are garbage, though I never really felt that way. I embrace their inadequacies. But I digress.

My first character ever was a bit of a mess, stats-wise: all 13s and 10s. I made a Half-Orc Cleric of Kord with Endurance and Toughness as feats. He was big, dumb, naive, and mostly fought like a really bad barbarian. He lost a fight to house cats at one point. But he was a sweetheart, and the team loved having him around. He was fiercely loyal, compassionate, and dedicated to protecting those who couldn't protect themselves. He had one redeeming quality. I had an uncanny knack for rolling 20s with that character. I've never had that much luck since. But I mean, it was either crit or whiff. There was no in between for my character. As he advanced in levels, his spells kind of helped cover his general inability to hit things or do damage to them. At one point, after learning more about build mechanics, we got a chance to rebuild him. Funny thing, a more competent version of him just wasn't the same.

My other character was in 4E... it was also my first character in the system: an Eladrin Wizard. I sought to make, essentially, a pyromancer, which I later discovered was a bad call. And unlike my Half-Orc Cleric, I couldn't get those sweet, sweet 20s. So, for the most part, I just stayed in the back and cheered everyone on. At one point, we got captured by slavers to fight in an arena. My character was so badly built he was deemed "unfit for combat" so I became a servant to the Caesar analog BBEG. Deal was, if they won the tourney, they could become free citizens. However, my friends were losing their butts badly while I was serving wine. I knew there was no way I could solo the BBEG, so I did the one thing I knew couldn't fail. I Fey Stepped... right off the balcony and fell on the monster that was killing my teammates. Based on how high up I was, I did enough damage to the monster to turn the tides of the game. I died in the fall, but my friends earned their freedom that day. They held a funeral in my honor and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
He lost a fight to house cats at one point.
To be fair... in 3.5 housecats are legitimately dangerous. Four housecats as a CR1 encounter can very easily kill your level 1 wizard, eight of them at CR3 might wipe the whole party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastForgot View Post
To be fair... in 3.5 housecats are legitimately dangerous. Four housecats as a CR1 encounter can very easily kill your level 1 wizard, eight of them at CR3 might wipe the whole party!
LOL! Thank you for coming to the defence of Ruminster the Half-Orc Cleric of Kord, but he was terribly... and I mean horribly, built. I got a chance to look at the original sheet years later and visibly cringed. But he lived a good life and retired well. All-in-all Ruminster and I had a blast.

My first time playing D&D 3.0, I had no idea about how to build a character or play it correctly. I wanted to be Gandalf basically so I made a wizard...with Two-weapon fighting (to swing the staff around a lot). I died pretty quickly.

First character I ever rolled up was a Human Monk in 3.0/3.5 era.

DM had us use either the 3d6 or 4d6 methods for rolling and gave us two sets to roll. I went with the 3d6 method and I think my least sucky set came out to be 15, 14, 13, 11, 10, 9.

Me having no idea on optimization or how to play monk thought thought that more attacks meant better so I picked up Two Weapon Fighting for my 1st level feat and because I thought Fast Movement was just plain awesome I took Run as my bonus human feat so that I could ninja run past anyone.

Never since that monk have I rolled so terrible on full attack rolls. Even after we had leveled up a bit and the DM started giving us extra perks I could not roll above a 10 on any full attack action in which I flurried/twf. I remember one time I somehow got to roll like 10 attacks at once and 7 out of the 10 were below 10 on the dice roll. The only reason the other three hit is because those were natural 20's.... =,(

Ironically..... the Run feat actually saved my character and the party on numerous occasions despite being completely useless the vast majority of the time. Odd how karma works.

My DM was total $#% @# @ %^$#& and killed my character concept. I've been playing kitsune rogue as a face of a team, and he was faking the rolls, cause i am 100% sure a bunch of orcs couldn't beat a 37 roll on bluff (pathfinder). In combat he nerfed SA so i could do it one per round, not one per attack as rules says. Basicly made my character more useless than our bard's leadership (which was just wasted feat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltedzies View Post
First character I ever rolled up was a Human Monk in 3.0/3.5 era.

DM had us use either the 3d6 or 4d6 methods for rolling and gave us two sets to roll. I went with the 3d6 method and I think my least sucky set came out to be 15, 14, 13, 11, 10, 9.

Me having no idea on optimization or how to play monk thought thought that more attacks meant better so I picked up Two Weapon Fighting for my 1st level feat and because I thought Fast Movement was just plain awesome I took Run as my bonus human feat so that I could ninja run past anyone.

Never since that monk have I rolled so terrible on full attack rolls. Even after we had leveled up a bit and the DM started giving us extra perks I could not roll above a 10 on any full attack action in which I flurried/twf. I remember one time I somehow got to roll like 10 attacks at once and 7 out of the 10 were below 10 on the dice roll. The only reason the other three hit is because those were natural 20's.... =,(

Ironically..... the Run feat actually saved my character and the party on numerous occasions despite being completely useless the vast majority of the time. Odd how karma works.
I feel for you on the 3E-3.5E Monks. I love the idea of them, and even though I know I could build a better "monk" with a Fighter or Barbarian refluffed, but I just can't make myself do it.

I'm not sure what WoTC had against Monks... or Half-Orcs for that matter.

Say what you will about Pathfinder, at least they made the Half-Orc a decent, playable race. Same for Half-Elf actually (though not as good as Half-Orc most of the time).







 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Last Database Backup 2018-02-22 09:00:07am local time
Myth-Weavers Status