The Wyverntamer goes to conquer far-off realms - Myth-Weavers

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

The Wyverntamer goes to conquer far-off realms

The Wyverntamer goes to conquer far-off realms

Hello all,

I am Wyverntamer, a trans pre-op female (meaning that I am biologically male still), but I am mostly just a confused fanfiction writer who does not really know what she wants to do with her life. I am currently in the USA, doing an intensive cursus on the English language, as a preparation for me studying English back home in the Netherlands.

I have played in a few quickly aborted online games (mostly aborted because there was like, half a year between sessions that could be scheduled), and one longer ongoing campaign when I was trying to study Biomedical technology.

My first character was a dwarf gunwielding rogue (house rules made it so we did not have to keep track of our ammunition, just say that we bought 'some' and pay a gold or two when we were in a town), with the thief archetype. He was searching for immortality for himself and his brother and was researching on how to become a lich when he got news from his brother that he had found something that could be a promising lead back home. (That's when I got the news that I probably would fail my study, so I stopped early enough to get half my money back (I love the Dutch system))

Welcome to Myth-Weaver, @Wyverntamer !

Don't feel bad - most of us barely know what we want to do with ourselves as is. I only have a rather vague idea of it, and it can be summed up as "Survive, and don't piss off the wife". And I'm already in my 30's.

Seems like you have a little bit of experience with TTRPGs, which is a good starting point. Unlike normal means of playing RPGs, Myth-Weavers is dedicated to the Play-by-Post medium. Which means we use these forums to play asynchronously. The benefit of this is that you can post at any point of the day and week, and the other players and GM can respond at their own time. It does lead to a slower play-style, but the ability to think things over and neatly formulate posts makes for a rather unique experience.

You will also notice that we're not dedicated to a single RPG system. We have a wide variety of offerings, from D&D to Fate to Shadowrun to... well, pretty much anything that exists as an RPG. And we promote this diversity of options, as not everyone enjoys the same type of games. Which is why I usually tell people not to limit themselves and to explore the many options out there. If it sounds interesting, apply for a game!

Your first step is to give our Games and Ads section a look over. You'll find all sorts of games recruiting there and that's where GMs (usually) find their players. Most games have something of a process when it comes to accepting players, so you'll want to check out their particular details.

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our Discord Channel. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
Welcome to Myth-Weaver, @Wyverntamer !

Don't feel bad - most of us barely know what we want to do with ourselves as is. I only have a rather vague idea of it, and it can be summed up as "Survive, and don't piss off the wife". And I'm already in my 30's.
I know, I don't feel all that bad about it, just something to note. I actually do know what kind of job I want after being done with my study, namely, teaching English.
Quote:
Seems like you have a little bit of experience with TTRPGs, which is a good starting point. Unlike normal means of playing RPGs, Myth-Weavers is dedicated to the Play-by-Post medium. Which means we use these forums to play asynchronously. The benefit of this is that you can post at any point of the day and week, and the other players and GM can respond at their own time. It does lead to a slower play-style, but the ability to think things over and neatly formulate posts makes for a rather unique experience.
Oh, nice, play-by-post was my introduction to roleplaying, first in a not so stat-intensive way, then with a stat-intensive RP, that lead into an online TTRPG game, but that one failed.
Quote:
You will also notice that we're not dedicated to a single RPG system. We have a wide variety of offerings, from D&D to Fate to Shadowrun to... well, pretty much anything that exists as an RPG. And we promote this diversity of options, as not everyone enjoys the same type of games. Which is why I usually tell people not to limit themselves and to explore the many options out there. If it sounds interesting, apply for a game!
Any recommandations for someone not used to stat-intensive RPGs? (What should I definitely avoid?)
Quote:
Your first step is to give our Games and Ads section a look over. You'll find all sorts of games recruiting there and that's where GMs (usually) find their players. Most games have something of a process when it comes to accepting players, so you'll want to check out their particular details.

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our url removed from thing due to spam preventions. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki
Thanks for the intro!

Good day and welcome, @Wyverntamer! Yama answered a lot of questions, but let me see what I can do on this new round.

1) I'm 48 and have had 5 different careers, the last 2 have a slight alignment with what I did for the first 25 years of my post-college career. Never feel locked into what you went to school for, or what jobs you have had in the past.

2) There is a whole spectrum of game systems, from free-form to very very very stat intensive. FATE/FAE/FUDGE are three variants on a system that are more on the free-form range of things, but do have some structure to them. On the other end, Rolemaster, D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder are very rules and stat-intensive. In between are a multitude of different shades of grey. What you like and where you end up is completely up to you. There are some great games in all different areas of the spectrum.

3) I agree with Yama. look around and find things to talk about. Game Planning is a good place to look to see what people are pondering in their heads, but haven't coagulated into a game ad yet. It's a great place to learn about new systems. Game Discussion has a whole host of topics, from creating effective characters, to specific game system communities, to pros and cons of different gaming platforms (tabletop, vs PBP, vs online vs etc). Creative Corner is where some of our local artists show off their works....from writing to drawing to knitting to stained glass, and much much more.

If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . .
If you’re a pretender, come sit by my fire,
For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!

- Shel Silverstein

Well that sounds like an interesting guy, but a man with no plan. I wonder how he'd be in a world where immortality can and is literally sold and bought? Just need to outbid the local kings and queens and sorcerous overlords. Golarion calls so come on stop on by, drop a comment, say hi! But you don't like too many numbers you say? Well even Fate has it's fair share, though a good deal of it is on the other side of the GM screen. Miscellaneous might be a fair bet, or if you know of such a system your self you can make a call out in the planning thread. And if you don't see what you like by the sidebar on the left don't dread. That just shows what's currently recruiting..