Does this mean I'm an old-timer now? - Myth-Weavers

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Does this mean I'm an old-timer now?

Does this mean I'm an old-timer now?

I just read that Washington Post article about how DnD is more popular than ever. It's full of things I've long scoffed at (laptops at the gaming table, 5e) and others I've heard of but never pursued (Critical Role). Is there still room in this community for a 3.5 holdout playing exclusively 2e settings?

So am I an old-timer or more of a middle-age-timer?

Anyway I'm new here, so hello. I've been looking for an online space in which to expand my Planescape game to include the players who cannot make the live sessions any longer. Have I come to the right place?

Nah, there is still plenty of love for 3.5 here, so you're not lost and without a home by coming by Not sure if I've seen any Planescape love since I've been here, but I'm sure if there are those who wouldn't mind a plunge back into that setting.

Either way, welcome to Myth-Weavers, mate!

Ohh welcome to the weave! 3.5 and Planescape you say? You may just have become my new favorite person cause I've wanted to get my hands dirty with Planescape since Planescape: Torment was new and shiny.

Welcome to Myth-Weavers, @Lormador !

We here at the Weave focus on the Play-by-Post medium of playing TTRPGs. PbP is an asynchronous medium, meaning you can post at whatever time of the day or night, and people will react to those actions at their own good time. The drawback, of course, is that it's a slower means of playing RPGs, but it gives everyone time to consider actions, check rules, and proof-read everything.

Your first step is to check out our Games and Ads section, assuming you haven't already. We do things a touch differently than other sites, where we have game ads posted and prospective players apply. Every GM does it a little differently, so check the campaign info and forum for the exact details. You'll also want to look at our New to PbP thread - it's got a few handy links for easy information.

Don't feel bad about sticking with older editions. A lot of people here still play D&D 2e and 3.5, while others have moved over to 5e or Pathfinder. That said, don't be afraid to give other systems a shot! We support a very wide variety of systems here, ranging from good ol D&D (almost all editions) to Pathfinder to Shadowrun to Fate to PbtA to, well, I don't think there's a system we don't support. So if you spot something outside of your norm that catches your attention - go ahead and apply for it anyways.

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our Discord Channel. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki

I remeber when elf was a class, so no I don't think you're an old timer. 3.5 is my favorite D&D edition, though I begrudgingly made the switch to PF years ago at the behest of my gaming group at the time and am greatful I did. Laptops can certainly make some things easier, I use VTTs for maps even in my meatspace games, but can also be a distraction. It is also a matter of how much time and money you put in to it. I've seen old school 3D maps out of craft supplies that are amazing.

I am old school too, mainly play 2e and 3.5, never tried Pathfinder though, and don't want to get into 5e, so you are in good hands buddy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaarbuc View Post
I remeber when elf was a class, so no I don't think you're an old timer.
As do I. Welcome. There is plenty of 3.5E love here, as well as many other game systems.

Sweet. I do love some old-fashioned (medium-fashioned? it's not nearly as old as elf being a class, though the Paragon classes from UA are close I suppose) Pathfinder + 3.5 craziness. Boy does that old Tireless feat breathe new life into the Barbarian!

I don't play any version of D&D that came out after 1981. 2e is really the end of what we OSR guys considers Old School. So don't worry with 3.5 you are just middle-aged.

Welcome to the weave.