General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The Last Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madadh View Post
Eh, not that much really. Almost all moves make the vast majority of their gross in the first month they are out. It's the reason you get alot of buzz about sleeper movies that steady make money for weeks on end. For the direct example if you look at The Force Awakens domestic box office in its 4th week it cleared about 55 million, as opposed to Last Jedis 31 million.
Interesting, perhaps the fans are starting to push back a bit.

Totally, agree that they need to get Writers and Directors that are fans themselves for the upcoming movies. Getting hacks, like Abrams, who only want to put their stamp on existing franchises and ruining them, is getting a bit annoying.

It also bears reminding that there are costs to consider. Making movies is not cheap, and Star Wars movies are amongst the most expensive out there. I can't find The Last Jedi's numbers (it can take time for this sort of info to go public), but The Force Awakens cost 245 million in production... and you can expect this movie's expenses were at least in that ballpark, probably more.

Then advertising. Oh, the advertising. I swear I saw more TLJ advertising in the last few months than I did political ads in all of 2016- and also keep in mind this baby was advertised in China and Japan and all of Europe (I could be wrong... but I assume they don't run American political ads in other countries). Granted, Disney owns ABC, ESPN and (obviously) Disney... so they probably gave themselves a discount, but every ad they ran for themselves was an opportunity cost to profit off someone else.

I would not be the least surprised if Disney spent four hundred million on this project of theirs.

Which means it's likely that Jumanji (a not particularly good remake of a not particularly good movie that cost 90 mil to make, maybe another 20 mil in adverts if that, and a 291 mil box office gross) managed to make more profit (ultimately the only number a business cares about) than Star Wars in their respective first months. And on something between 1/3 and 1/4 the budget (which is the only other number a business cares about). In fact, Jumanji has been making *more per week* than TLJ the last couple weeks.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...umanji2016.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...=starwars8.htm

Couple that with the embarrassment that was Battlefront 2...

Yeah, I promise you Disney's shareholders are paying close attention to their portfolios right about now. I doubt anyone's selling out or jumping from highrises quite yet... but... well... I do recall crafting a lovely mental image of what Disney is doing to the franchise only a couple posts ago. It still applies.

Amusingly I walked out of Jumanji far more happy that I did from TLJ.

Here's another side to consider on the business end: what are the toy sales like? After all, as useful as a movie's box office drop-off can be for helping to judge its popularity alongside reviews, for franchises like Star Wars it's the merchandise sales - especially toys - that really showcase profitability.

And, well, it's not looking good for TLJ on that front, either. Now of course dwindling hype for the brand and impacts on production and vendor companies can have an impact here. However, even if we take those two things into account, the fact is that production and import of Star Wars toys leading up to and through the release of The Last Jedi is down 56% from that same period for The Force Awakens two years ago.

Going back one year to Rogue One, which I'm sure we all know by now got a very lukewarm reception, production and imports are down 47%. Sadly I can't find any numbers on sales specifically, but even without those to have your production needs sliced in half very clearly shows that there's a sizable proportion of people who disliked or at the very least have lost/are losing interest in The Last Jedi and the Star Wars brand.

Couple that with what Tana mentions about advertising costs and the whole Battlefront 2 fiasco and, yeah, I think the message is turning out pretty clear - people are already getting tired of what Disney (and EA, might as well throw them in there, too) are presenting us in terms of Star Wars.

And as a quick side note, I have to imagine in the face of the current overwhelming presence of "shared universe" movies including Marvel, Legendary's Kaijuverse, (it sounds cooler than Monsterverse so I'm sticking with it) and Warner's feeble DC filmverse, having Star Wars come back into the fray with frankly mediocre entries has got to be making fans just feel all the more exhausted with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madadh View Post
Amusingly I walked out of Jumanji far more happy that I did from TLJ.
You, investors, pretty much everyone else.

Y'know, except the hacks that pretend to be critics. According to them, TLJ was a masterpiece. But I think we're quite aware that they're all motivated by a combination of political ideology and bribery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therren View Post
Toy Sales.
Good point. Didn't even cross my mind to bring that up.

Thing is, I only half blame Disney for Battlefront being garbage. Except for hiring EA in the first place... and then not keeping a closer eye on the production. Seriously... all EA does is leach on to quality works and then ruin them with microtransactions, how did the guys at Disney not know this?

I think we've gone adrift on the spiral of negativity, and diverted from discussion of the movie almost entirely. Please keep the discussion on "Star Wars" and not "The Management of Star Wars".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
I think we've gone adrift on the spiral of negativity, and diverted from discussion of the movie almost entirely. Please keep the discussion on "Star Wars" and not "The Management of Star Wars".
With all respect I think the "management of Star Wars" is very pertinent to the discussion. All Disney sees is $$$...greed is winning out over telling a good, coherent story. Plain and simple.

Say, what you want about Lucas, he wanted to tell a good story. Disney would put the Star Wars brand on a civil defense ad if they thought it would sell. And, it probably would be a billion dollar success with critics calling it a work of art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
Say, what you want about Lucas, he wanted to tell a good story.
Fair enough. For all the shit we (rightfully) give Lucas... I have to admit, at least he tried. And that should count for something. Not much, but something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
Disney would put the Star Wars brand on a civil defense ad if they thought it would sell. And, it probably would be a billion dollar success with critics calling it a work of art.
I... kinda want to see that, now. It sounds hilarious.

Blue mod speech is not a suggestion which may be disregarded. Since this thread seems to have run its course on the actual topic, thread closed.