The plan that never works out... - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The plan that never works out...

Damn it - I can't read spoiler text.

Anyhow, it somewhat depends on your players. Who will depend on you, I suppose. Whether they want something immersive and sensual, or epic and overly-dramatic. The first, take Avi's advice, but the latter may likely prefer a set story-line, like computer RPGs.

What I like best is giving the players freedom, but making sure that they have some kind of goal and motivation. If they are having trouble coming up with that themselves, then I push it a bit. Otherwise, a game with freedom can't work.

Details I do plan: who are the major players near where the PCs are and how do they know each other/interact? What are the major events that are unfolding in the world, that the PCs are going to be aware of or become aware of at a future date?

The above can actually work out to a lot of planning, and I think it is enough, too. The PCs move as they will in a world where have some kind of motivation, and things happen in the world that force them to respond. They can respond however they like, though.

EDIT: Knowing how all the major players are related ends up leading to politically intricate games. It also means that when the PCs decide to interact with one individual, I know how that interaction is going to affect how things might go down with a bunch of other potential encounters.