Notices

Solo Campaign Exchange

Old Feb 13 '18, 12:26pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Solo Campaign Exchange

Solo Adventures - Forum
Savage Worlds

I am looking for 1-2 partners for a Solo Campaign Exchange. Without being very genre specific, I am looking at the Savage Worlds Rules first because it can be adapted to practically anything and the rules are less involved that the more complicated d20 systems that I typically play. But I am open to other rule sets if the campaign idea is attractive enough.

As GM, I would prefer to run something I know:
Modern world; counter-terrorism or James Bond style
Fantasy D&D/Pathfinder style
SciFi space opera style (includes Star Wars)
Shadowrun/CyberPunk genre
Swashbuckling style (with some fantasy or not)

As a player: I am open to almost anything if the scenario sounds exciting, but tend to like similar settings/genres as listed above.

Posting Frequency: I am looking for partners that can post 3-5 times per week, but no more than once per day IC.

Applications: Posting interest here for starters. After that, share what sort of game interests you as a player and GM. Then tell me a little about yourself.

Selections: I will likely select the first 1-2 players that I can come to agreement with on being compatible.

Game Description:

Solo Trade adventures

Cap'n Coffee, I sent you an Invite and set up some initial OOC threads for discussion. I am also busy on weekends as of late, tending to not be on the forums much. But I will try to check the OOC threads from my phone.

Sala, I am not ruling out taking on 2 players Solo Exchanges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sala View Post
5. Experience with Savage Worlds: I am part of a group that has been playing Savage Worlds together for at least 6 years now in a session-based capacity. We have three campaigns going in a 2 per weekend rotation, and many house rules. I'd be bringing some of those house rules with me, probably. They've worked well for us so far. For example, to solve the problem of drawing cards over the internet, we use a flat Agility die with no Wild Die for characters to roll Initiative. To simulate the Joker draw we roll a d20, which decreases with each draw (->d19->d18->d17) until it aces, signifying the Joker has been drawn. At that point it resets to d20.

Settings and Genres of Interest:
High Fantasy (your standard D&D/Pathfinder fare, but prefer to cobble together a homebrew setting; I have a few in reserve that could work)
Ivalice
Weird West (Wild West with magic)
Sci Fi Space Opera (I know too little about Star Wars to run it, but could play a Star Wars game. I could run something in this setting or something on the sillier side)
Fallout
Detective Noir, either modern or cyberpunk
I typically prefer to minimize house rules myself if they modify what's published. But I have not played enough Savage Worlds yet to come across areas that need house rulings. Bringing along a healthy set of them would not be a show stopper for me, and I would not mind discussing them. If they are good for me, I might adopt them for the other games too.

Of your interests, there is some overlap. Which are your 2 preferences to run?

For me to GM, I could run some Space Opera or High Fantasy. I tend to borrow and modify published material though instead of developing Home Brew settings since I don't have enough time to really get into that.

I do have some modern counter-terrorism stuff that I could do that I have developed based on a couple of Vince Flynn and Brad Thor novels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paro View Post
I typically prefer to minimize house rules myself if they modify what's published. But I have not played enough Savage Worlds yet to come across areas that need house rulings. Bringing along a healthy set of them would not be a show stopper for me, and I would not mind discussing them. If they are good for me, I might adopt them for the other games too.

Of your interests, there is some overlap. Which are your 2 preferences to run?

For me to GM, I could run some Space Opera or High Fantasy. I tend to borrow and modify published material though instead of developing Home Brew settings since I don't have enough time to really get into that.

I do have some modern counter-terrorism stuff that I could do that I have developed based on a couple of Vince Flynn and Brad Thor novels.
I would probably prefer to run either Fallout or a Space Opera; the former I have some stuff planned out for already (with or without 'Wild Wasteland' bizarre content). The latter I haven't actually done a whole lot of before, but since it's one of your DMing areas of interest it might be neat to pick a setting together and both run the other's game within it, which may or may not cross over or affect the other (space is a big place after all).

So, Fallout or Space Opera are the top 2 for running, and would be most interested in a Space Opera to play.

Sala, have you ever heard of Star Frontiers? Used to be TSR when D&D first came out, then some of the races were in d20 Future.
Playing 2 games in same universe/setting has a certain appeal, particularly if there are potential cameos or brief crossovers.

I've never heard of Star Frontiers before, but I found a wiki for it, so I should be able to research up on it.

I think you can get PDFs on it to provide setting background. I have to look, but there might be a specific fan made conversion doc out there. I played a module that had been converted once.

I was able to find some SW conversions here, though it seems half-finished. There was a pdf on google as well, but it was a dead link.

I scanned through the link and it looks like it is mostly good enough. Really only need racial rules worked out to match the flavor of the setting.
I will set up links in the game forum tonight when I get home.

Yeah, whatever's not there should be easy enough to brew up. SW is a flexible system like that.

Thanks for that. I notice they included Guts, so the conversion is perhaps a bit dated.
Also Star Frontiers Alpha Dawn added more skills and Star Frontiersman 9 revamped the skill system completely. I will need some time to look the conversion over and compare to how it will fair. But by being Savage Worlds, I suspect that the conversion will be better than the unmodified original Star Frontiers rules.