Answer The Warden's Call! (Pathfinder/Sphere's game set in Dragon Age Universe) - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Answer The Warden's Call! (Pathfinder/Sphere's game set in Dragon Age Universe)

Old Feb 10 '18, 9:41am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Answer The Warden's Call! (Pathfinder/Sphere's game set in Dragon Age Universe)

The Warden's Call - Forum
Pathfinder

Hi, I'm Arklytte, long time member of The Weave, and unofficial Old Fart Grognard™.
Welcome to the recruitment ad for my new Dragon Age inspired game, The Warden's Call.

Here's hoping it will whet your roleplaying appetite.

A little bit about me: I've GM'd several games here on MW, as well as other sites, and have had varying degrees of success with them. I've been roleplaying for well over 30 years now (tabletop for most of my life, and online for about 15 years - ten of which have been here on MW), and have played many, many different systems. Even invented a couple. I am a big fan and avid supporter of ROLE over ROLL playing and my games feature a lot of character interaction/development, fleshed out NPC's, and (at least so I'm told) lots of fun.

I value intense, flavorful roleplay;
Whether English is your first or fourth language, it is the lingua franca of MW. Like Corbin Dallas, I only speak/read English and Bad English. The written word is the only form of communication we have here, and I expect my players to be at least reasonably competent at it. If you have trouble with your writing, or English is not your first language, please use a spell checker and do your best to use reasonably good grammar. I'm not going to penalize someone for not being an English Lit major, but I do expect everyone to make an effort to be a good communicator.
strong writing skills; and creative, open minds.

That being said, I am also an opinionated old fart (as advertised ), for whom the word 'Optimization' is akin to other Four Letter Words. I dont care how good a roleplayer you claim to be, if your first inclination when considering joining this game is to rub your hands in glee at all the options you have to make 'teh uber character'...well...let's just say that this game wont be the best fit for you. And yes, I know...Stormwind Fallacy...BLAH BLAH BLAH! Sorry, IMO Stormwind is full of it. And at the end of the day, My Game, My Rules. If you find this too restrictive or are offended by it, then I appreciate you reading this far and wish you luck in your future endeavors on the Weave. I'm sure there are plenty of games that cater to your preferences...this one will not. I'm going to blatantly steal a comment I read in another recruitment thread, by Legionbunny, that I think perfectly sums up my attitude on this point. It's quite apropos to this game as well.

Murderhobos...Shoo! SHOO!

Now, all that being said, this will be a game with characters who are going to end up being very strong, mechanically speaking. I'm totally ok with that...if I wasn't, I wouldn't have gone to the extent to put my own stamp on the rules that I did. But I didn't create these rules so that you could torture the math into giving you a character who can one shot an archdemon. I created them to give you the flexibility to make a truly interesting, compelling character, that is exactly what you envision when you think of 'Hero'. You will be creating characters who's names will one day go down in history with the likes of Dwarven Paragons, Grey Wardens of legend, and Heroes & Champions of all stripes.

I am incredibly fond of the Dragon Age universe. I have played all of the games (including the goofy mobile ones), I've read several of the novels, most of the comics, and I'm one of those geeks who browses the Wikia for pleasure reading. It is one of my favorite fictional universes and I plan to do my best to bring it to life in this game.

As such, I am FAR more interested in the story you tell about your character. Your story should influence the mechanics, not the other way around. 90%+ of my decision on who I choose to join my games is based on your character's story. And my interest in the crunchy bits is mainly to see if they match up with the fluffy stuff...well, that, and making sure they're reasonably well balanced against your fellows.

We're also going to be using the Spheres of Power and Might alternate character creation system. This system encourages flexibility and customization above all else, and that appeals to me quite a lot. I have done extensive customization and there are MANY house rules that will need to be navigated when creating a character.

At present, the plan is to leave recruitment open for two weeks. At approximately 12PM EST, Feb 23rd I will officially close the ad and stop open recruiting, at which point, I will choose my players. As stated, that will be based almost entirely on a character's fluff, so I expect that portion of your character to be completely done by end of recruitment. Due to the complexity of the house rules, I fully expect that people will likely need additional time to finish their characters. Those that are chosen will get all the time they need to finish their mechanics.

NOTE that I already have one player chosen for the game. He's been assisting me with some of the background mechanics and house rules. At this time, the plan is to take three additional players, for a total of four. This will, of course, depend on how many of the apps call to me. I have a long history of not being able to stick to a hard limit, so I'm not ruling out the possibility of a larger group, but the current plan is for a team of four.

So, without further ado, I'd like to invite you to join us in answering...The Warden's Call...

Game Description:

For twelve long years, the Blight has ravaged the land. Led by the great Archdemon Andoral, legions of Darkspawn have plundered and pillaged their way across central Thedas, seemingly unstoppable.

Fortunately for the peoples of Thedas, the Grey Wardens, experts at killing Darkspawn, and ever vigilant for the least sign of their return, have rallied the armies of the land, and fought the Horde to a standstill at the city of Ayesleigh. With the aid of their griffon allies, who carry the elite of the Wardens into battle, Garahel, elven warrior and hero, succeeded in slaying the Archdemon and cast him down.

This mighty action broke the hold of the Archdemon over the Horde and shattered their unity. Immediately after the Archdemon's fall, Darkspawn began streaming away from the battlefields, returning to their subterranean lairs in the Deep Roads.

Now it is the period known as the Thawing Hunt. Grey Wardens split into small bands and hunt down groups of fleeing Darkspawn, attempting to kill as many as they can before the beasts can wreak havoc on citizens of Thedas on their way back to their lightless home.

Unfortunately, the cost to stop this, the Fourth Blight, was almost too high to bear. The ranks of the Wardens were literally decimated...nearly 90% of the Wardens who entered the battle, along with tens of thousands of regular troops, perished on Darkspawn blades, claws, and spells. The mighty Griffons who carried elite Wardens into battle have been all but wiped out in the conflict.

Those leaders of the Wardens who remain despair of being able to muster enough forces to defend ordinary citizens from roving darkspawn, much less organize groups for the Thawing Hunt.

That is where you come in. Having found yourself still alive after the death of Andoral, you, along with many others, have answered the summons from the Warden leaders. Rumor around the campfire is that the Wardens need to increase their forces. There are those that claim the Wardens will simply Conscript anyone they wish, but those with cooler heads point out that the Warden's are requesting the presence of those survivors who are able bodied enough to fight.

For whatever reason, you have joined those streaming towards the Warden's camp. Whether you were brought to the Battle as part of a regular army unit; a mercenary hired by one of the desperate kindgoms; a Circle Mage recruited to aid king and country; a Templar sent by the Order to fight the dark magics of the Darkspawn; a Dwarven warrior who risked the surface, and the terrifying vault of the open sky, to aid your Warden allies; a Chantry priest, wielding your wisdom, as well as a blade, in defense of the Maker's creed; an Apostate, tired of hiding in the shadows, who chose to show the world that not all of you are as 'evil and dangerous' as the Chantry would have the world believe...or maybe you really are a Maleficar, but you love your land enough to fight for it regardless; a Dalish who grew tired of watching your beloved forests burn at the hand of the Darkspawn; or even a humble city elf, brought along in the baggage train of one of the armies, or conscripted into soldiery, who managed to survive the years of battle...

No matter your station, your race, or your creed, you have chosen to stand and be counted. The Grey Wardens, ancient guardians of the Lands of Thedas, have asked for your presence, and you have chosen to heed them.

You will answer The Warden's Call!

A Pathfinder game, set in the universe of Dragon Age, set in the aftermath of the Fourth Blight. PC's will be those who fought, and survived the final battle of the blight, who fought against the darkspawn but were not members of the Wardens. However, they have been drawn together by the Wardens to help replace some of their lost numbers. As there are still scattered remnants of darkspawn on the surface that need to be dealt with, the Wardens need to continue their ancient mission.

The campaign starts a few days after Garahel kills Andoral at the Battle of Ayesleigh. Players are not Wardens at the start of the campaign, though they may have already been Conscripted...that's up to the player. However, NONE of the PC's have gone through the Joining...that will happen IC during the beginning of the campaign.

We will be using the Spheres of Power and Might alternate character creation system, as well as additional heavy customization.

A couple of points about the tone of the campaign...

This game will be ROLEPLAY heavy. While this game will likely feature a higher proportion of combat than most of my games...(After all, the war has literally just been won and you'll be hunting down enemy stragglers)...most of my games only feature 10-15% combat...I dont expect much more than 25% all tolled. There will be significant amounts of exploration, character and NPC interaction, lots of opportunities for your character's personality to shine through, and some good old fashioned dungeon crawling...What? You didn't expect a Dragon Age game to not have at least one or two treks into the Deep Roads, did you? :]

I wont be handing out XP in the traditional sense, I will instead be advancing your characters at story appropriate places.

This game will be fairly high powered, and will be complicated. PC's will be starting at Level 10, and we will be testing out a new Pseudo-Gestalt system that I've put together that combines features of standard gestalt, the VMC alternate system from Pathfinder, and modifications of the Sphere magic and combat system. Characters will have a large number of options as well as generous starting wealth. Spheres of Power and Might, as well as (most) Paizo Official material will be the only accepted sources.

This game will be intimate. Unlike most of my games, the team will consist of just 4 PC's, rather than my normal 6 (or 7 or 8, since I seem to have a penchant for drawing awesome players who write awesome apps, and I have a hard time saying no. :palm:). I think the smaller group size should make for more intense roleplay.

This game will be relatively slow paced. I'm running a couple other games, playing in a few, and trying to carve out enough time IRL to allow me to do all this, as well as take care of all that pesky IRL stuff. This leaves me with a fairly limited amount of MW time. I'm looking for roughly 2-3 IC posts a week once the game starts and players can expect the same from me.

This game will be mature themed. All evidence to the contrary, I am an adult (actually, as mentioned, I'm kind of an old fart :]) and I write for other adults. The game will feature adult themes (within site limits, obviously), truly evil villains, and morally questionable choices. While I dont write horror, and I especially dont write gorn, you can still expect a fairly dark campaign. This is Dragon Age, after all.

If all of this interests you, please check out the following threads:
  • Character Creation Rules - Everything you need to know to create your character. There are extensive house rules in this thread...please read it completely through, before you head to the...
  • Character Creation Q&A - If you have clarification questions or require specific answers, please post them here.
  • General OOC thread - Chat about the game, your character, the weather, or pretty much anything else, here. No rules specific questions, please.

In the interest of giving credit where credit is due: Making this game a reality required extensive testing of various house rules and customizations. Two players, timsheff and Old Scratch provided invaluable help in making this game a reality, and I want to publicly express my appreciation and gratitude.

Thanks guys!! This game wouldn't be a thing without you two.

When you're ready to start, please make a PRIVATE thread in the Applications Folder, then start checking things out.

I look forward to seeing how you answer the call of Thedas' need.

Last edited by Arklytte; Feb 10 '18 at 8:27pm..
Heya Dougfan. Yeah, they really are awesome games. I've played then through multiple times, and they continue to be fun. DA:I currently has hold of my forebrain and wont let go, but when I beat it for the second time, I'm probably going to go back and play DA:O again. There are still a couple of intro stories I've yet to go through.

I just love what Awakenings added. I recently purchased Origins Special Edition on Steam so I get to play through it again with with DLC that I'd never gotten before.

Heya Dougfan! Sorry to not answer...somehow I missed this post.

The full version of Origins it pretty sweet! It really expands the Darkspawn lore, and you learn so many new things about them. I really liked it overall.

FYI To anyone who might still be interested. This ad will be closing in approximately 22.5 hours (Friday, Midnight EST). If you are still interested, there's time to create an app. I'm primarily looking for completed fluff, with just the very basics of crunch...since this is engendering some rather complicated mechanics, I'll be working with the final crew on finishing up their crunch once I've actually chosen players.

Anyway, if you're interested in taking a shot, please come on by.

Thanks and Happy RPGing!!

This is a couple hours late, but the ad is officially closed, as is recruiting.

Thank you to everyone who expressed interest, and who applied!