Zeitgeist: Gears of Revolution

Old Feb 9 '18, 9:28pm
DM

Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Zeitgeist: Gears of Revolution

Zeitgeist - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

A 5th Edition Adventure Path
An intelligent, action-packed series that mixes investigation, spycraft, and a bit of steampunk into traditional fantasy heroism.

-=-=-=-=-
Steam and soot darken the skies above the city of Flint, and winds sweeping across its majestic harbor blow the choking products of industrial forges into the fey rainforests that dot its knife-toothed mountains. Since the earliest ages when the people of Risur founded this city, they feared the capricious beings that hid in those fog-shrouded peaks, but now, as the march of progress and the demands of national defense turn Flint into a garden for artifice and technology, the old faiths and rituals that kept the lurkers of the woods at bay are being abandoned.

The Unseen Court, the Great Hunt, and the many spirits of the land long ago conquered by Risur’s kings no longer receive tribute, but they cannot enter these new cities of steam and steel to demand their tithe. The impoverished workers who huddle in factory slums fear monsters of a different breed, shadowy children of this new urban labyrinth. Even their modern religions have no defenses against these fiends.

Times are turning. The skyseers — Risur’s folk prophets since their homeland’s birth — witness omens in the starry wheels of heaven, and they warn that a new age is nigh. But what they cannot foresee, hidden beyond the steam and soot of the night sky, is the face of this coming era, the spirit of the next age. The zeitgeist.

-=-=-=-=-

Prologue

“Apparently, there’s a few serious adventurers in town right now. One’s a Yerasol Veteran and another is a Skyseer. They may be up for a little paid work.”

The Assistant Chief looked up. His face creased in distaste. The constable shrugged unhappily.

“I know they are some of the hardest people in Lanjyr,” she said slowly. It took some moments for her to turn her mind to the issue. “I don’t trust them, though. They court danger. And they’re quite unscrupulous graverobbers for the most part. Anything for gold and experience.”

Tapping his cane on the side of a nearby desk Assistant Chief Inspector Stover Delft frowned before spitting a wad of tobacco into a spittoon. “Adventures? They are a dying breed. The world has moved on. Civilization has marched forward. Hrm…” he trailed off, considering options. “Run a check on them. If they have potential they might make good candidates for the R.H.C. Let me know what you find.”

Nodding at the dismissal the female constable turned and exited the office.

Standing on the granite floor of the Royal Homeland Constabulary Office were six figures. They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers; rogues who had wandered the Malice Lands and the Elfaivar and Ber and probably the whole of Lanjyr. They were hardy and dangerous, some were foreigners, some Risuri, but each carried with them at least a shred of allegiance to the nation of Risur. Each of them had lived off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whomever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues. Some had performed useful services: research, cartography, and the like. Others were nothing but opportunistic tomb raiders. They were scum who died violent deaths, hanging on to a certain cachet among the impressionable through their undeniable bravery and their occasionally impressive exploits.

Assistant Chief Stover eyed them without enthusiasm.

“This,” said Assistant Chief Stover, pointing to them each in turn with his cane, “is a job offer. Each and every one of you has been investigated and passed a background check. Though,” He eyed one adventurer with lanky hair and scruff on his face. “Some of you just barely passed.” Hobbling forward on his cane, the limp in his left leg clearly evident, Inspector Delft gestured to a map of Flint, blanketing the east side of his office. “As a member of the R.H.C. you may be called upon to accomplish dangerous and complex tasks, such as rescue missions, surveillance to catch smugglers and traitors, and even gathering information on behalf of our nation. It is dangerous, but no more so than what you have experienced. One of you fought on behalf of our country. Another was a graduate from an esteemed war academy and the list goes on and on.” Gesturing back to the map Stover smiled, sucking at the tobacco in his teeth, before spitting into a nearby tin pot. “This is a chance to stop living for yourself and instead helping in a real and concrete way. What do you say?”

Intoduction (The Basics)

Rules System: D&D 5e
Theme: Steampunk Adventure Path
Starting Level: 3

“The unreal is more powerful than the real. Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. Because it’s only intangibles, ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. Wood rots. People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.”
–Chuck Palahniuk

Welcome friends to Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution. This is an AP designed by ENworld Publishing. In this adventure, your characters serve in the Royal Homeland Constabulary of the nation of Risur, protecting the country and its citizens from foreign threats lurking within its borders. During missions of espionage and assassination, your duty will be to root out hostile spies and pursue international conspiracies. As you learn more of your homeland’s own secrets, however, your loyalties may be tested, may even be turned, and you may find that it is you whose hand controls the gears of the turning age.

Before we get into the details of the campaign, I would like to lay out my expectations. In Zeitgeist you have the chance to play an unusual sort of character. You will play as a group of burgeoning agents in service of Risur -- someone who will rise from being a novice and inexperienced agent into becoming one of the worlds greatest influences and possible saviors of this age.

Here is what I envision from my players: I am looking for a lawful neutral, lawful good, lawful evil, neutral or neutral good characters with an appreciation for order: This is not the campaign for chaotic evil players looking to betray the other players, loners or freespirited vagabonds. Those campaigns exist elsewhere and if they are what you are looking for, perhaps you are in the wrong place. This is a campaign about being part of an organization that works in the shadows for the greater good. Think of the James Bonds, Jack Ryans and MacGyvers. This is what I expect. That said, while you are morally neutral, what I am not looking for is a bunch of murderous-lawless types looking to indulge dark fantasies. I am looking for characters with interesting backstories, who would mesh well together. Characters should be three-dimensional with personality, desires, and flaws. Disagreement between characters should be a natural occurrence based on strongly-held beliefs and philosophies, although they shouldn't derail the game. Knowledge of the Zeitgeist setting is assumed and should be worked into the character.

Mechanically, this will be standard point-buy with 27 points. I strongly disfavor stat dumps, especially Charisma, without appropriate story justification. I also disfavor gimmicky characters. One bonus Theme Feat must be selected at character creation from the Zeitgest Adventure Path Players Guide and because of this the variant human feature is not allowed. Considerably more effort should be on the personality, and a character sheet is merely encouraged. Anything legal in Adventure League play is allowed, this includes the PHB plus one suppliment rule, before you ask if you can do x, refer to this rule "IS it allowed in Adventure League Play?" All races are allowed, but I have a bit of a bias towards humans and will likely pick only a few non-humans. Tieflings and Aasimar however hold a unique place in this campaign and I will not consider them as non-humans during my selection process. I will also post an example of ”The Ten Minute Background”. You are not required to use it during submission, but I have found it is exceptionally useful in creating a character with depth and flavor and I would highly recommend it.

I will uphold that same posting activity as to my other games, which is an average of once per day M-F. Some days there will be more posts than others, but this campaign will be run at a leisurely pace. If you do not post once within 48 hours during combat, actions will be taken for you (usually the dodge or assist action). I reserve the right to eject from the campaign anyone who has not posted in 72 hours without prior warning of absence.

I expect players to engross themselves in the roleplaying element and contribute interestingly to the story.

For this campaign I also favor longer posts with detail and emphasis on the growth of the characters over just posting to meet the requirement.

I also travel occasionally, but this rarely affects my posting. I will be taking applications until 3/01/18. I have not decided how many players I will be taking, but the total will be between 4 and 6, depending on the exact needs of the party. As a warning, I also tend to select players over the course of the application period. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Character Building

Available Books: All WotC Hardcovers (PHB, Sword Coast, Volo's, etc.). I will be using the PHB + 1 rule, which means you can use anything in the PHB plus one supplement of your choice. The only exceptions out side this are:

Race Exceptions (With Links)
Aasimar (Deva)
Elf (Eladrin)
Goliath
Goblin
Genasi

Class Exceptions (With Links)
Noble
Engineer
Gunslinger
Alchemist

There are also new arch-types for all base classes available in this folder:

New Arch-Types

In addition you will need the 5e Zeitgeist Adventure Path Player's Guide which addresses some changes to the core rules and adds a bunch of new stuff to 5e for this campaign. READ IT! It will help tremendously.

5e Zeitgeist Adventure Path Players Guide Link: Download Here

Alignment Requirement: Lawful neutral, lawful good, lawful evil, neutral or neutral good only.

Starting Equipment: You must buy all equipment, starting gold is below based on your class.

Barbarian (100gp)
Paladin (150gp)
Bard (100gp)
Ranger (150gp)
Cleric (125gp)
Rogue (125gp)
Druid (50gp)
Sorcerer (75gp)
Fighter (150gp)
Wizard (75gp)
Monk (12gp, 5sp)
Warlock (100gp)
Noble (125 gp)
Engineer (125 gp)
Gunslinger (150 gp)
Alchemist (125 gp)

Ability Scores: Ability scores can be generated using the 27 point buy as featured in the PHB.

Hit Points: Maximum at 1st level, average each additional level.

Applications to the Game

Character Submissions: I’ve got a little outline I’d like everyone to follow for submitting a character. You will also need to start a thread in the Applications Folder for your submission. If you have any questions about my rules for character building, any thoughts about character backgrounds, or to request that I review your character then you can do so below.

Technical Stuff

Application Deadline: MARCH 1, 2018 12:00 A.M. CST

Post Requirements: Minimum posting rate of one post, Monday - Friday (If not more)

Party Size: Looking for 4-6 players.

Other Requirements:
- I want players who give detailed and interesting posts. Not one-liners and blocks of speech text. The rule of three applies here. What is your character thinking, doing and saying.

- Expect your actions to have consequences. Don't be stupid. Play smart. If I give you lots of hints that opening the box will unleash fiery death. Don't open the box and expect to live.

- I'm a story teller, the rule of cool applies. If it's cool, cinematic and epic, screw the rules- I'll probably allow it. If this grates against your rules lawyer soul...we are not meant to play together.

- Unless I tell you otherwise...assume you can play with the scenery to help craft the story.

Questions/Clarifications:

Can I play if I've played part of the Adventure, but not all of it?
I think so long as you haven't been past the first couple of scenes, we'll call it good.

Can I submit more than one character?
No. I'm going to go ahead and limit it to one character submission per person. That being said, feel free to change your character concept as much as you want between now and the close date!

Final DM Note

I know the above is a very, very lengthy process to go through to apply for a online pbp game. I also know that some of you will be turned off by it. Some of you will cringe, but others will pour their heart and soul into their character and create something absolutely beautiful. When I have used this process before in the past it has given me the best roleplayers I have ever seen in a game and also the most committed group of players that are still going strong after two years of play. If you are looking for a quick game of fun and just want to slash up some bad guys and do your thing then this campaign is not for you. If you are looking for more.... then look no further than "Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution".

The most important thing you should do however is familiarize yourself with the setting and start thinking about what kind of hero you would like to be playing. (Hint: The setting information is in the 6e Zeitgeist Adventure Path Players Guide. Yes, its true. The link is up there somewhere. Find it, you really do need to read it.)

Please do not hesitate to PM me, call me out on something, disagree with me, ask questions, bite your thumb at me, or anything else you need to do for me to get your application. I don't bite.

I look forward to your applications and good luck!

Game Description:

Steam and soot darken the skies above the city of Flint, and winds sweeping across its majestic harbor blow the choking products of industrial forges into the fey rainforests that dot its knife-toothed mountains. Since the earliest ages when the people of Risur founded this city, they feared the capricious beings that hid in those fog-shrouded peaks, but now as the march of progress and the demands of national defense turn Flint into a garden for artifice and technology, the old faiths and rituals that kept the lurkers of the woods at bay are being abandoned.

The Unseen Court, the Great Hunt, and the many spirits of the land long ago conquered by Risur’s kings no longer receive tribute, but they cannot enter these new cities of steam and steel to demand their tithe. The impoverished workers who huddle in factory slums fear monsters of a different breed, shadowy children of this new urban labyrinth. Even their modern religions have no defenses against these fiends.

Times are turning. The skyseers – Risurs folk prophets since their homeland’s birth – witness omens in the starry wheels of heaven, and they warn that a new age is nigh. But what they cannot foresee, hidden beyond the steam and soot of the night sky, is the face of this coming era, the spirit of the age. The zeitgeist.

Last edited by bwatford; Feb 21 '18 at 9:29am..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybrar View Post
So starting level is not 3 as per the player's guide? That's too bad.
It is..... I mistype that in the copy/paste

I'm a little confused by your stating we can use Volo's and then also stating if it's not AL legal it can't be used.

AFAIK Volo's is not AL legal.

Yes, it is. Most people choose not to use it because it's their +1 book if they use one of those races. That means only PHB for everything else about the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Valor View Post
I'm a little confused by your stating we can use Volo's and then also stating if it's not AL legal it can't be used.

AFAIK Volo's is not AL legal.
Volo's is a viable resource to use as your +1 in Adventure League play.