Notices

Mage 20th - Magick with a K

Old Feb 12 '18, 11:33pm
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Mage 20th - Magick with a K

Nine Card Spread - Forum
Mage

This is my check to see if a Mage game versus a Changeling game would be more well received on the site. I am sorry for the anorexic details about the campaign but I am more uncertain with Mages as there are many more variables with them.

Personally I want a game about the way reality can be altered, the differences between the mages, the paradigm shifts of the early 2000s, and accepting the new shifts in the Traditions themselves.

As stated in my other game this is the World of Darkness but I am inclusive be it race, sexual orientation, or what have you. The views of the NPCs are not that of the ST.

This is your chance to play a Mage and alter your own destiny. Shape reality to your will. Tell me what kind of story you want to tell.

Game Description:

The Paradigm. The Paradigm always changes.

Currently it is unrest. Political shifts have rocked the world. Change comes in rapid tides as veneers of charisma give way to falsehoods underneath. People seek answers for questions they never thought to ask before.

It happens. It's cyclical.

This cycle is the year 2002 in San Francisco, California.

The time of Charmed. The time of revival. The time of burgeoning hope.

A time when Magick is stronger than ever.

never played mage before...is it very complex to the hang of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpolloock View Post
A bit, yeah. The core book is a bit intimidating for some people and can take a while to digest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpolloock View Post
The biggest complexity people seem to have with it is it's more or less open to interpretation what you can do. MagicK (with the K) is basically you warping reality to fit your view. If you can grock it from there with a character concept (The You being the character concept) than its easy, otherwise its not.

If you want some help getting started, go throw up a workspace post in the applications thread, give me a bit of an idea of what kind of concept you're interested in, and I will volunteer to help you hash out the mechanics. There's no particularly weird houserules or anything in play here, so, shouldn't be too bad.

Mage is pretty complex - like Aluman said it's very nebulous and that makes some people uncomfortable - but to me it's the only system I've ever played where I actually felt like I know Magic as opposed to just copying somebody else's collection of tricks.

I thank you for your offer of assistance, but perhaps I should read through the material before even trying to conceptualize a character and @Aluman nice Robert Heinlein reference.

zp: in my opinion, the difficulty of Mage is very ST/GM/DM-dependent.

If we take the simple concept of a Ryu-inspired martial artist. Some ST's might just allow you to say:

"I use my Hadoken punch to inflict more damage." *rolls dice*

Others might ask for a brief description how that fits your worldview.

"I focus my chi into the relevant muscles of my body." *rolls dice*

Yet others might want more.

The game also changes with how creative you are and how philosophical you can be, and, not to put you off, but I also don't think that reading the books will help you appreciate the true beauty of the game.

Creating the mechanics of a character is easy: fill in some dots on a sheet of paper.
Creating a paradigm/worldview and turning it into magic? This is where the game gets interesting!!

My advice would be to take Sage up on his offer, but focus less on the mechanics and more on the paradigm.

I'll piggy back on that and say that the worldview / paradigm depth is what makes the whole thing appeal to me. If you really like to think about your characters, you should totally give it a read.

It's kinda funny because the simple way of explaining paradigm boils down to "magic works exactly how you think it's supposed to."

Sounds simple, right? Only just like "do as you will shall be the whole of the law" it's not as easy as it sounds on the surface. For instance, my character, Morgan, believes that all magic should look like high ritual sorcery. The kind where you put on a ceremonial robe and pick up a staff and draw diagrams in salt on the floor and read from a carefully-scripted ritual writeup and big workings can take hours because you're bending the fundamental forces of the Universe to your will so of course it's supposed to be hard! This leaves her in a bit of a pickle if she needs a particular spell on the fly. She can work around that by scribing scrolls, because that fits how she thinks magic ought to work, but even that isn't something that she could really do right the F now no matter how badly she might need to.

Whereas somebody whose paradigm was based around, for example, gutter magic, might be able to grab a few empty beer cans and some duct tape and MacGuyver herself a spell in like five minutes that would take Morgan a week to prepare and twenty minutes to cast. But that gutter mage also has to come up with her effects in the moment, because she won't have a reason to put in the forethought - and design spells she doesn't need just in case she someday does - the way Morgan would.

So, yeah, magic works exactly how you think it's supposed to, for better and for worse.

Yes. So much yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut
The kind where you put on a ceremonial robe and pick up a staff and draw diagrams in salt on the floor and read from a carefully-scripted ritual writeup and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut
...might be able to grab a few empty beer cans and some duct tape and...
I mentioned earlier about different ST's making the game harder or easier and gave an example of the martial artist...

Well, the first ST I had was a bit of a b****** (in a nice way), and expected more from me than he did the player of the martial artist. He knew that I enjoyed playing on hard mode, and constantly pushed me to delve deeper into the character's paradigm. I enjoyed it as I felt that it was more rewarding, it got me thinking a lot more about things, and (I feel that) it made me a better player.

In the examples you gave (circles of salt, robes, a staff) and the beer cans, he'd expect me to give him a plausible reason as to how those things allowed for 'magic*' to be done. I'd have to tie it in with my paradigm. As a Hermetic, he wouldn't let me get away with saying "Well, it's been proven to work over countless centuries, and honed and refined over that time...blah...", he'd want something more personal.

*I refuse to use the pretentious K.