Is this the real life? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Is this the real life?

Is this the real life?

Greetings all!

Been lurking around here for some time to get a feel for the community and finally decided to dive in and get my feet wet.

I am an old school role player - with a capital Old. I started with the blue box in 1977 when I was 11, and still haven't managed to "grow out of it" as my mother used to claim I would. Considering that I passed the big 5-0 at the beginning of this year, I think she has given up hope...

Who remembers when Elf was a class?

Over the past ~4 decades (yikes) I have played and/or ran just about any genre you can imagine across any number of game systems. I have spent the most time in D&D - all editions except 4e (don't get me started) and 5e, GURPS 3e and 4e, and Mutants & Masterminds 2e and 3e. I have dabbled in Pathfinder and really like it. The only reason I haven't gotten more into it is that I greatly prefer Supers over Fantasy.

While in the guise of my secret identity, I make my living as a mild-mannered web developer, focusing primarily on client driven HTML5/CSS3/jQuery UIs using C#/.NET/MVC for the back end.

Looking forward to gaming with you all!

no, no, no....this is just fantasy...

Welcome aboard! I started at Age 9 in 1979. The box was red, but the rules were blue and white. My first character was an elf.

We don't talk about 4e here. It's like Highlander 2, and the Star Wars prequels. Never happened.

Dig in. Poke your head into the other topics and start making a presence. If you have any questions, here is a great place.

Oh man...I totally remember when Elf was a class. That was around the same time when you took penalties for wanting to play a female PC.

Welcome to the Weave!

Or when you played the Gold Box Forgotten Realms games (or in my instance, the Dragonlance games) and your paladins automatically gave away a percentage amount of the good from your pool split.

Dirty rotten thieves.

Ohhhhh, I hated when Paladins did that crap. haha. I remember those Dragonlance games well, but of all the Gold Boxers, Pools of Radiance will always be the one that my mind pictures when I think of that era.

Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades and Eye of the Beholder stick in my head.

Damn, now I need to go out and find if there is a source for those, and if they will run on current OS.

Ohhhh, Eye of the Beholder was brutal. I still remember that grinnin' bastard on the cover! Good times

Gold Boxers and Eye of the Beholder I-III are all abandonware and can be found multiple places. I had to use DOSBOX last time to run them, but maybe they've improved things since then. Not sure how the Gold Boxers with security codes work without the decoder, but I'm sure they've fixed that too. When I got them, I only downloaded the Dragonlance series, even though Pool of Radiance was definitely a solid game. I'm a Krynnite, born and raised.

Like you, Basil, there's no DnD-ish world I love more than Krynn.