Am I cursed? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Am I cursed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_SA View Post
So far I've been approved for 6 games on this site. Four have died before the adventure really got started, the fifth (Kingmaker) died within weeks, then was resurrected, only to die it's final death before any more game posts could be made. Only surviving game is the Arena one.

Am I cursed here, or is this normal around here? I am also part of another group (roleplayinggames.net) which does not have the same number of players, games or nice features, but at least the campaigns there lasts for more than a few months.

So far (except for all the nice extras you guys have here and the size of the community) the only really big difference between the two sites is the average posting requirements. On the other site most games asks for a major post once a week, where here it is three to five times minimum per week. This is one of the reasons I came here, as the once-a-week rate is a bit slow. However, I now wonder if the increased posting rate requirement might not be the reason so many games fail? The DM is all "vuur en flam" (as we say in Afrikaans - litterally translates to "fire and flames" and means full of energy and drive) when he starts, but as soon as the game starts and he realizes the amount of work he needs to do to keep up with the post rate, his fire dies down, and his game with it.

Or, again, am I just cursed here?
I've seen games dying, too. You just had worse luck than me, that's all.

I can't speak about the posting rates, either. But I doubt it, or rather, I think it would depend on the individual Referee.
For some people, posting 3 to 5 times a week might be taxing. Others might lose interest with a once a week rate, precisely because the game is being too slow. There isn't a one-size-fits-all, because we've all got different situations, levels of energy, time dedicated to PbP, and so on.
As a counterexample, one of the most stable games I'm playing here is @RobBadener 's Traveller game, which has been going for over a year now. Required posting is daily, more than once if possible (though it slows somewhat on week-ends). I'm pretty sure he'd get bored with posting once a week...

(Oh, and did I mention we're looking for someone to take over a major NPC in this game? Because it's true! And the only requirement is that you must want to play the kind of game that's on offer!
No, that wasn't a shameless plug at all! Or, well, I didn't start writing the post with this idea!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
I think when so many games died down, it's a contagious.
You're more right than you think. There are games where one player leaving can kill the game, so if that one player was a DM and plays in three games, that one disappearance just caused 1-4 lost games.

Which can cause a post like this one and a light domino effect happens.

Maverick_SA,
To follow up on asenRG's post, if you are interested in playing Traveller, we do have an empty spot from a player that had some Real Life issues come up and had to with drawl. As the adventure has already started, to ning up Immediately would require taking over one of three Major NPCs. (one having been a PC at the start) This would give you a chance to get used to my game style and see if you wish to continue as the group moves on to the next adventure, during which, you could either keep the NPC you'd been playing, or at that point go ahead and go through Chargen and develop your own character. We do post once or more per day(weekends can slow a bit to accommodate real life), but feel free to pop over and see if it interests you.

(I will forwarn you that this is not your typical Traveller game. It takes place on a world called Tanith, and in more than a year and a half of solid play, the characters have so far travelled to vacuum mining world in the system's next orbit and have not yet jumped to another system at all. The Tanith system is filling out nicely and I play a sand box game with multiple simultaneous story-archs going on at once.

Feel free to come check us out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
Hey do you have discord? I need a newb to help test a new pathfinder game idea I'm throwing around. If you have discord go to the mythweavers discord and talk to Cyber_Goddess. The reason I want you on discord is that this game, although kingdom building based is heavy on the homebrew. So I want to be able to talk quickly in real-time.

If you don't have discord, I might also be willing to throw you a slot in The Architect game. I recently had two simulations die, so I could maybe use a new player.
Unfortunately I don't have Discord. Being from South Africa, I am on a different timezone than almost everybody here, which means when it's a good time for you it might be not for me and other way round. Also, while I'm supposed to have a 4 meg ADSL line, I seldom gets speeds higher than 512kb (poor quality line - gets stolen often for copper, then just patched - lots of noise on it), and I don't know how that would affect live voice. Not wanting to spoil the effect for everyone else, I decided to stay away from it.

The Architect game seems like an interesting concept. Right now I am looking for Pathfinder games (I only really know Pathfinder and 3.5 rules. Been more than 15 years since I last played 2e and have forgotten almost all of the "rules", 5e hasn't grabbed me all that much), but if another system seems very interesting, I'm willing to give it a shot. On the other site I'm playing a huckster in a Deadlands game, and while I don't know much of Deadlands, the DM's been very accommodating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
I've seen games dying, too. You just had worse luck than me, that's all.

I can't speak about the posting rates, either. But I doubt it, or rather, I think it would depend on the individual Referee.
For some people, posting 3 to 5 times a week might be taxing. Others might lose interest with a once a week rate, precisely because the game is being too slow. There isn't a one-size-fits-all, because we've all got different situations, levels of energy, time dedicated to PbP, and so on.
As a counterexample, one of the most stable games I'm playing here is @RobBadener 's Traveller game, which has been going for over a year now. Required posting is daily, more than once if possible (though it slows somewhat on week-ends). I'm pretty sure he'd get bored with posting once a week...

(Oh, and did I mention we're looking for someone to take over a major NPC in this game? Because it's true! And the only requirement is that you must want to play the kind of game that's on offer!
No, that wasn't a shameless plug at all! Or, well, I didn't start writing the post with this idea!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBadener View Post
Maverick_SA,
To follow up on asenRG's post, if you are interested in playing Traveller, we do have an empty spot from a player that had some Real Life issues come up and had to with drawl. As the adventure has already started, to ning up Immediately would require taking over one of three Major NPCs. (one having been a PC at the start) This would give you a chance to get used to my game style and see if you wish to continue as the group moves on to the next adventure, during which, you could either keep the NPC you'd been playing, or at that point go ahead and go through Chargen and develop your own character. We do post once or more per day(weekends can slow a bit to accommodate real life), but feel free to pop over and see if it interests you.

(I will forwarn you that this is not your typical Traveller game. It takes place on a world called Tanith, and in more than a year and a half of solid play, the characters have so far travelled to vacuum mining world in the system's next orbit and have not yet jumped to another system at all. The Tanith system is filling out nicely and I play a sand box game with multiple simultaneous story-archs going on at once.

Feel free to come check us out!
Are you guys talking about "Surviving the Borderlands"? Unfortunately I know nothing of the Traveller system, and I also have no books or manuals on it. Thanks for the invite, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
You're more right than you think. There are games where one player leaving can kill the game, so if that one player was a DM and plays in three games, that one disappearance just caused 1-4 lost games.

Which can cause a post like this one and a light domino effect happens.
You're right. It's a pattern of uncommitted games.

Quote:
Are you guys talking about "Surviving the Borderlands"? Unfortunately I know nothing of the Traveller system, and I also have no books or manuals on it. Thanks for the invite, though!
You don't need the books, or to know the rules, I guarantee you RobBadener isn't going to punish you for lack of rules mastery. That's the beauty of Traveller, you just need to make what your guy would do, maybe roll 2d6, and you see what happens.

It was a real relief after playing some rules-heavy systems for a while, let me tell you that.

Now, if you want to learn the rules, there's the Traveller SRD and the free Cepheus Engine game, which is like a complilation of the SRD in a file. So you can get at least an overview of the rules, and while chargen is the biggest part of them, the NPC is already made.

Of course, that still doesn't mean like you have to join, I'm merely giving you an option here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
Of course, that still doesn't mean like you have to join, I'm merely giving you an option here.
A very tempting offer. Give me a bit to look the SRD over, and I'll get into contact with you!

I stopped applying to games. It was a lot of work to build a character in hopes of being allowed in, and then on the off-chance I was picked, the game usually died inside a month (somewhere in the middle of the first couple of encounters).
My games started on the WotC board before they committed genocide on PbP and we moved to here. Started at lvl1 and are now at lvl 12 & 13. It's taken a few years, and we've lost a lot of players along the way, but both games have at least 2 of the original party still in, and we're moving along nicely.

Quote:
A very tempting offer. Give me a bit to look the SRD over, and I'll get into contact with you!
Sure, take as long as you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
I stopped applying to games. It was a lot of work to build a character in hopes of being allowed in, and then on the off-chance I was picked, the game usually died inside a month (somewhere in the middle of the first couple of encounters).
My games started on the WotC board before they committed genocide on PbP and we moved to here. Started at lvl1 and are now at lvl 12 & 13. It's taken a few years, and we've lost a lot of players along the way, but both games have at least 2 of the original party still in, and we're moving along nicely.
Well, if you don't expect it to be like WotC D&D, I'm sure we could talk Rob into giving you one/another of those NPCs! There would be no work involved in building it, since their stats are fixed for the moment, and improving them is something that happens in-game.

Yes, the offer is open to anyone who would like this style of game.