What are you reading? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

What are you reading?

Anyone who says Jemisin is "too black" is definitely way "too white".

Currently, Above the Veil, the fourth book from the Seventh Tower series, by Garth Nix.

A good fantasy world, although it can be a bit childish sometimes. It's aimed at a younger crowd, I'm sure, but it's still quite fun and surprisingly original.

Strange coincidence but I just started reading a Dragonlance series right now too. Amber and Ashes by Margaret Weis. I like it so far. I haven't been a huge fan of Dragonlance in the past so I was surprised that I enjoyed it.

I absolutely love fantasy but I find that a lot of older, and even some newer, fantasy books are incredibly sexist and badly written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4cha View Post
Strange coincidence but I just started reading a Dragonlance series right now too. Amber and Ashes by Margaret Weis. I like it so far. I haven't been a huge fan of Dragonlance in the past so I was surprised that I enjoyed it.
It's Margaret Weis, I think we're morally obligated to enjoy her work.

My "reading" is currently in the form of audiobooks, but I'm on book 4 of the Safehold series by David Weber, A Mighty Fortress. Brief synopsis, humanity HAD a multi-star spanning empire, until we met another species that REALLY doesn't like sharing. They've been around much longer, and kill all of humanity except one colony, hidden by dint of having zero advanced technology, with a population brain washed into believing that advanced technology is evil and that the colony managers were literal archangels. Then the story actually begins...

Just finished The Oath and the Measure. Wasn't as big of a fan of this one as the previous three. The book progressed kind of slow, and some parts just seemed random and confusing (the dream sequence primarily) like they were forced into the story. The plot itself seemed a bit weak, like the story wasn't planned ahead of time, but was instead made up on the fly, also character's would disappear from the story when their part was up with no real explanation, (Wayland the smith particularly, and to a lesser extent Mara). The previous three were very good, and this is the only one of the series written by Michael Williams so I'm optimistic the final two will be more on par with the first three (including the series finale by Tina Daniell who wrote the third in the series, Dark Heart, which I thought was pretty good).

Moving on in the series:

I think part of the problem is the writing, as you pointed out...and part of the problem is that Sturm is simply not nearly as interesting a character as most of the other companions. A rigid knight who isn't terribly relatable, three-dimensional or funny just isn't on par with the other, deeper, more memorable companions.

I remember feeling pretty apathetic about his death in the Chronicles when I read them as a kid, but Flint? Man...not a dry eye in the damn house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
I think part of the problem is the writing, as you pointed out...and part of the problem is that Sturm is simply not nearly as interesting a character as most of the other companions. A rigid knight who isn't terribly relatable, three-dimensional or funny just isn't on par with the other, deeper, more memorable companions.

I remember feeling pretty apathetic about his death in the Chronicles when I read them as a kid, but Flint? Man...not a dry eye in the damn house.
Yea, I think I'd pretty much agree with everything here. My favorites were always Flint and Caramon. I've always liked character's that aren't necessarily the leader character, but more the reliable second, who the leader can always go to when in doubt or trouble, but otherwise stay out of the spot light. Flint particularly fit's this role with Tanis.
Caramon is the "Joe Everybody", he doesn't really fit a particular role in the group, not the leader or resident expert on anything, but he's a good friend, handy in a fight, and loyal to a fault.

My favorites were Flint and Tas (but usually together; not separately) and, as my screen name implies, Caramon's less savory twin.

For sure, they definitely bring out the best (aka worst) in each other!