Proposition: Realtime GameHelpers/Guides - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Proposition: Realtime GameHelpers/Guides

The Workshop IS underutilized. I think some things need to be added, for example a troubleshooting guide which directs GMs to specific Workshop locations, and these things will need to be implemented before the Guide program can officially begin. We can't expect GMs to first solve their own problems if the self-help provided is overwhelming or inadequate.

What I'm proposing is a system that will need to be discussed, tested, modified, perhaps tested again, and then - hopefully - implemented. We have the holidays coming up, and that is a terrible time for games. It would be a great time to do testing, imo. The Guide program itself won't see 'official' implementation until early next year. In the meantime, we will ideally be using that time to strengthen the Workshop.

Back to the round table/volunteer commitment issue. How about:

1. Volunteers can sign up for 3 categories: a) PC fill in, b) Game Repair, c) Round Table. At the time of signing up, they will state any restrictions/specialties and be informed to expect routine PMs to establish their current availability, and those that sign up for option C are expected to subscribe and participate in the Round Table folder in the Workshop Forum. All Volunteers are allowed to withdraw at any time.

2. A team of mods will be in charge of maintaining the Volunteer Pool. Basically, this will be a database of who/what is available. After the initial drive to obtain volunteers, the workload should be rather light. The team will send out monthly/bimonthly PMs verifying volunteer status (I vote monthly), and they will be in charge of matching up volunteers to requesting GMs. To recruit new volunteers, existing volunteers will be encouraged to place information in their sig and perhaps quarterly volunteer reminders can be announced.

3. GMs will be required to have utilized Workshop elements, and the Round table, if such exists, before being considered as program candidates. We do not want to undermine our volunteers' generosity by allowing any joe blow to take advantage of them. GMs will be reminded that Guides are essentially loans, and they may withdraw for any reason at any time. Guides will be reminded that withdrawing without informing the Guide team will incur a black mark upon their record. It will be encouraged for Guides/GMs to first establish a time constraint in which to solve the problem.

PC Adoption vs GM Mentoring
We might actually divide this into two programs, one specifically for temp PC takeover, the other for GM assistance. The PC Adoption can actually extend to players who know they are leaving for an extended amount of time and would like their character taken over while they are gone to insure their absence doesn't injure the game.

I'll again throw my hand up in the air to say that I'm willing to help. What I don't understand at this stage is what you're looking for or asking of us. I find this kind of Big Sister/Brother atmosphere is very helpful to those who have little to no experience being a GM. You've laid out a well thought out plan of attack, Cleo and I look forward to seeing it come together.

When I first found the GM Workshop, I had high hopes of finding someone to help me gather my thoughts and lay out a plan for setting up a game. What I found was something quite different. It's more a place to practice and ask very specific questions rather than study and learn how to be a GM. That's not to say that it's failed in anyway, jsut that I'd like to see more of the latter included.

Instituting a mentor program where a person can come in and say HELP! is what I would be looking for. And having designated Guides is an easy flag for me to notice who/where my questions should be directed.

Some last thoughts. I'd like to see a time commitment asked of your Guides. Something like a 3 month commitment to the position. It doesn't have to be rigid, but I think it's appropriate to ask someone to commit more than just a fly by the night effort. The volunteer is still allowed to leave if something happens and doesn't LOCK them into the position. It's merely requesting that in order to take up this special role, they are willing to give it their full attention. It's still on an honor based system, but implies the person should be willing to set aside the time to put to it. Does that make sense?

Will you separate your Guides by system? Will it include all available systems? Obviously, your Guides can be skilled in more than one game system and overlap. How many guides per system? Will you take all volunteers or limit them to a certain amount of slots available?

What I am looking for in this thread is discussion, input, and interest. I won't be prepared to begin recruiting and testing for another 2-4 weeks. When I do, I will run a thread specifically for signup.

Quote:
I had high hopes of finding someone to help me gather my thoughts and lay out a plan for setting up a game.
I think this is a hope for many budding GMs and we may eventually be able to encourage members/Guides to become Gm tutors, but atm I think the best solution is creating a comprehensive GM tutorial we can post here at the workshop, which is an idea for another thread/project.

Quote:
I'd like to see a time commitment asked of your Guides. Something like a 3 month commitment to the position.
Requiring Guides to commit will only lower the numbers of volunteers. It would be ideal, though, if we could get them to commit for a definite length of time. What we could do is give them a set of options at sign up similar to the following: a) One month b) 3 months c) Indefinitely; I would like to be considered a permanent member of the Volunteer Pool until I withdraw. The 1/3 month sign ups would be treated as subscriptions where, at the end of their service, they would be sent a PM asking if they would like to continue. Nonreplies would be automatically removed.

Quote:
Will you separate your Guides by system?
Not necessarily. We will certainly note a Guide's preferences/strengths/etc but the amount of organization will relate directly to the number of Volunteers, as in we won't have specific answers about organization just yet.

Quote:
Will it include all available systems? Obviously, your Guides can be skilled in more than one game system and overlap. How many guides per system? Will you take all volunteers or limit them to a certain amount of slots available?
We will only be able to offer what Guides are willing to do. That does not mean not all systems will be represented. Much of it will depend on the nature of the problem. If the problem is not based strongly in mechanics, for example, we may still be able to find a suitable Guide.

No, I don't see a reason to limit the number of volunteers. Unless we really get bombarded
I do, however, believe volunteers to have post count requirements, and evidence of previous GMship (if applying for GM Guide)

I think the overall the concept looks good, particularly the realistic assessment that this will probably require some changes to the Workshop and the Guides program as it evolves. Personally I would prefer a monthly commitment as convincing members to join might be challenging enough without locking them into a longer term.

I think separating the PC Adoption program from the from the Guides program is a good idea. While I can see many advantages of having GMs take the short-term adoption positions I can think of many members who would be equally adept at filling this role. I can also see this as a program that might push the community forward by exposing Adopters to different systems (assuming GMs are willing to take non-proficient players under the assumption that they are quick-studies) and members they might not otherwise come into contact with. I would be interested in both temporary and permanent Adoption programs. While GMs can currently advertise for replacements or character adoption, making this a formal part of the program might be useful. Its just an idea but since we're throwing them around I figured I might as well include it.

Overall I tend to agree with Syndl's statements in regard to what I would like to see from the Workshop. I feel that what we are attempting here, to assist GMs in 'fixing' their games, is laudable but that many issues could be avoided entirely by providing better support for GMs planning games. The problem is that this issue is one that I feel should be addressed by the community as a whole as opposed to expecting the staff to modify the behavior of members.

Quote:
Requiring Guides to commit will only lower the numbers of volunteers.
I can see where your concern lies and I agree that it's valid. I guess I see it in the opposite light,where asking for a specific time commitment will encourage only those truly willing to commit themselves to the effort, rather than anybody who wants to "bump their resume." Of course, your stance assumes too few volunteers, where mine assumes too many. Your proposition seems like an easy compromise.

Quote:
Overall I tend to agree with Syndl's statements in regard to what I would like to see from the Workshop. I feel that what we are attempting here, to assist GMs in 'fixing' their games, is laudable but that many issues could be avoided entirely by providing better support for GMs planning games. The problem is that this issue is one that I feel should be addressed by the community as a whole as opposed to expecting the staff to modify the behavior of members.
I actually see this mentoring program working both to "fix" as well as "train" GM's in certain areas. GMs will have a safety net to fall on when things get hairy, but may learn through the help of a Guide to anticipate and avoid future issues. Who knows, it may also spawn another venture further down the road that pairs a new GM with an experienced GM to help pull together an outline for effectively running their first game.

This post, while not lengthy or wordy, is to officially state my support of this idea. Especially after your most recent posts, Cleo, it seems that you have an excellent idea here. In addition, consider me one of your first sign-ups for PC Adoption.

Best of Luck.