Troll's Bridge - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Troll's Bridge

Shape Shifter

Class Features

Hit Points
Hit Dice:
Hit Points at 1st Level:
Hit Points at Higher Levels:

Proficiencies
Armor:
Weapons:
Tools:
Saving Throws:
Skills: Choose two skills from

Equipment

You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a)
(a)
(a)
(a)

Level Proficiency Bonus Bonus Features
1st +2
2nd +2
3rd +2
4th +2
5th +3
6th +3
7th +3
8th +3
9th +4
10th +4
11th +4
12th +4
13th +5
14th +5
15th +5
16th +5
17th +6
18th +6
19th +6
20th+6

If you want the stuff to be balanced, i wouldn't recommend making the potential AC of Earthen Defender higher than the highest monster in the MM, or higher than a paladin can reach. 5e is based around lower ACs.

I have only made a casual glance around the defender, but what immediately stuck out to me is that they quickly deal damage with a shield like others with the biggest weapons and quickly even outpace them. Now I don't know if there is a substantial reason for that, but at least in my mind no class should take such leaps in power without a drawback. For that reason I would almost suggest copying the monk's unarmed DMG progression instead, but I'll read the whole class in detail first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
If you want the stuff to be balanced, i wouldn't recommend making the potential AC of Earthen Defender higher than the highest monster in the MM, or higher than a paladin can reach. 5e is based around lower ACs.
Agreed- those changes were made/implemented. The AC should feel a LOT more balanced now. Keep in mind, the defender can't heal like a Paladin can, no detect evil, no mount, only simple weapons. The Paladin is a warrior at heart, the Defender protects people like the Paladin so they can do more damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
I have only made a casual glance around the defender, but what immediately stuck out to me is that they quickly deal damage with a shield like others with the biggest weapons and quickly even outpace them. Now I don't know if there is a substantial reason for that, but at least in my mind no class should take such leaps in power without a drawback. For that reason I would almost suggest copying the monk's unarmed DMG progression instead, but I'll read the whole class in detail first.
That's a fair call. Take a good look at the class and let me know if you still think so/any other things you notice.

Quote:
Shield Bash

With extensive training an Earthen Defender may utilise their shields as a weapon. They may choose to lose their Dual Shield Wield AC bonus and instead attack with one or both shields. The damage caused is dependant on level; see below. Should they only choose to attack with one shield, they retain the armor class bonus of the shield they did not utilize to attack.

LevelDamage
1-31d6
4-71d12
8-122d6
13-172d12
18-204d6
As I had said before, it really seems to me that somebody fighting with shields should rather have a damage progression like the monk (from 1d4 to 1d10) since they are more defensively focused than offensively. If you want you can add that the defense bonus of magical shields adds to the damage.

Quote:
Adamantine Body

As the Defenders faith in Grumbar grows, so too do Grumbar's gifts. The Defender is granted a natural armor class bonus equal to his constitution modifier. The Defender may never again don armor after this class feature is taken.
Here you could copy the barbarian's 'Unarmored Defense' . This would be in my eyes much better, since "natural armor" doesn't exist in 5e and a flat bonus like it is currently would quickly get abused by somebody taking a level of barbarian and thus getting twice the Con modifier to their armor.

Quote:
Form

The Defender appeals to Grumbar to grant the gifts of stone to improve their ability to defend their compatriots. They must choose a form to take that will grant them certain benefits. They may choose to change this form at tenth level and again at fifteenth.

Mountain

Standing as tall as the highest peaks, Grumbar grants the Earthen Defender the imposing form of the mountain. The Earthen Defender now counts as one size category larger than the original form for determining reach, carrying weight and special attacks modifier. They do not receive the AC penalty or attack penalty nor do they take up more room than usual, however they do take the penalty on their hide modifier. Once per day they may also receive a bonus on intimidate checks.

Boulder

As the boulder rolls down a mountain with gathering momentum and speed, so too does the Earthen Defender gain the locomotion of Grumbar's gifts. Twice per short rest the Earthen Defender may increase their speed by ten feet, whether they take this speed as a twenty foot bonus or two ten feet bonuses is up to them. Additionally, as long as they are standing upon natural terrain, they gain a +4 bonus to all athletics checks.

Obsidian

Grumbar grants the Earthen Defender the ability to withstand anything that may seek to poison his intention to defend his allies. The Earthen Defender gains damage resistance against poison and immunity to diseases. Additionally, he receives a +2 on all constitution saves.

Ancient

Grumbar grants the Earthen Defender the ability to call on the memories of ancient stones, whom have seen all and experienced all. The Earthen Defender receives +2 to History, Knowledge, Insight, Nature and Survival. Additionally, he receives an aura that extends 10 feet to confer a +4 on all wisdom saving throws that lasts a number of minutes per day equal to their level times ten.
There is a consistent pattern in these, which is flat bonuses. After looking a bit around those bonuses were quite frequent in earlier editions like 3.5, but 5e doesn't have flat bonuses with the exception being only 3 fighting styles, which give +1 ac, +2 accuracy or +2 damage, respectively. The bonuses on skills and saves have been remodeled into the advantage and disadvantage mechanic. Maybe the forms could give proficiency or advantage to things instead of the flat bonuses to better fit in.

Quote:
Bulwark

The Earthen Defender has learned how to better protect his compatriots, becoming a Bulwark of defense in the midst of combat. He drives in his feet and steels himself. Upon taking this action, he may not take any action other than to defend or attack. Any ally standing behind and within no more than five feet of the Earthen Defender is conferred half cover. Additionally, if they are targeted by a ranged attack the Earthen Defender may choose to take up to half the total damage of the attack on themselves- this must be declared after the attack occurs but before damage is calculated.
I personally have always ruled it that shooting past someone gives the target half cover, but certainly know GM's who ruled differently, so the usefulness of this ability might depend on the GM.

Quote:
Magma Blood

The Defender has been granted the blood of their god- blistering magma. Anytime the Defender is struck by a physical attack the wound bursts and sprays their foe with magma dealing 3d6 fire damage to the attacker. The Defender now also has complete immunity to fire based attacks or spells.
I'm not sure if there is a barbarian archetype with a similar feature, but I personally don't think a retaliation thing should be active an unlimited time. Maybe limiting it to a number of rounds would work better. (10 rounds per short rest or something).

Quote:
Crystal Stasis

As a bonus action the Defender immediately covers themselves and one other ally they are touching in a Crystal Cocoon, completely immune to the outside world but also unable to effect the outside world. The Cocoon is impenetrable by any means including magical and lasts 2d4 rounds. The cocoon begins at ground level and extends up twelve feet and has enough oxygen to support two life forms up to one hour.
The addendum of oxygen enough for two hours just seems strange to me. If the cocoon only lasts for 8 rounds at max, why would it have oxygen for two hours? I would have assumed that oxygen would be no issue, which makes me question what experiences with GM's you might have had.

Quote:

The Defender becomes the embodiment of his god for a number of rounds per day equal to his constitution modifier plus 1d4. When he takes on this form he grows by two size categories, becomes immune to non-magical attacks, can pass through any worked stone or brick wall and becomes surrounded by a vortex of swirling razor rocks. These rocks deal constant slashing and bludgeoning damage in a 10 foot radius around his form. The Defender can choose whether these stones affect or avoid any allies in adjacent squares.
At this ability I believe you missed how much damage the rocks are intended to do. On a side note, I noticed on an earlier ability where you mentioned an increase in size. I don't think an increase in size by itself does anything besides increasing carrying weight and the ability to grapple bigger targets, so some clarification what you had intended would be good.