Rise of Skywalker - Page 9 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rise of Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
Often "EU bits" are added by people who care about it so that it lives on in new material. Hence why Darth Bane (voiced by Mark Hamill no less) appeared near the end of Clone Wars. Mind you the best example is Thrawn, who is now enshrined in canon. Honestly though, it doesn't bother me if Disney doesn't attempt to cater to the unpleasable segment of fandom, since that's an impossibility, so it's better to just focus on the younger fans.
Don't get me wrong, I love those small details, but there's always that thought in the back of my head of what could have been. I think a part of the 'unpleasable' crowd is hubris. It's this idea that if we got to see it the way we wanted it, maybe things would be better. Of course, this idea is childish at best, and toxic at its worst. But it's infectious, especially in conversation about it.

They made the right choice by clearing the clutter for the sake of coherence, but watching all of those previous ideas sprinkle back in is both exciting and terrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratwalk View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love those small details, but there's always that thought in the back of my head of what could have been. I think a part of the 'unpleasable' crowd is hubris. It's this idea that if we got to see it the way we wanted it, maybe things would be better. Of course, this idea is childish at best, and toxic at its worst. But it's infectious, especially in conversation about it.

They made the right choice by clearing the clutter for the sake of coherence, but watching all of those previous ideas sprinkle back in is both exciting and terrifying.
I'm not exactly thrilled about all of Karen Traviss' Republic Commando books being negated, but at the same time I'm okay with a technologically advanced Mandalorian culture rather than the Space Outback. I'm fine with getting rid of the bloat, as well as a universe where the creator of Drizzt didn't drop a moon on Chewbacca.

I'd have no problem with scrapping the EU entirely if Disney had made movies that were actually good. While technically proficient, what has come out has not been Good--a technological terror with no soul.
Except for Clone Wars and Rebels, new Star Wars has not been Good since 1980. But holy smeg, under Disney seems to have no clue. Most shoe-string budget Fan Films seem to tie in better and show more care and craftsmanship than the multi-million $ studio films. Watched one a couple months ago about the origin of the Rancor Keeper that was amazing.

Who knows: maybe JJA will finally produce (well, direct--he was producer for "Person of Interest", which I mostly enjoyed) something good for the first time. Maybe he'll prove me wrong. I'd love to be wrong.

For what it's worth, the majority of the viewing and critical world already believes you're wrong, Magellan, so if you look at it that way, your wish is already granted! You're most welcome, sir; no need to thank me.

About 10 years ago, a friend opened a Star Wars collectible store called Red 5. I remember talking to him about the prequels and he flat out told me that Jar Jar Binks pays his bills. Apparently the vast majority of his sales were from parents buying stuff for their kids. Star Wars has never not been about pushing merchandise. Certainly there is a shift right now, as not only are Star Wars toys sales slumping, but toy sales in general are as well. Hence why Toys R Us shut down a while back here. The point is that the revenue is not coming from angry middle aged men, it's coming from parents. It makes sense to continue to focus on the demographic which drives revenue.

Well said, Krimson.

Those unhappy with the new Disney Star Wars trilogy are not simply "angry middle aged men". The new trilogy toys aren't selling very well (while Marvel flies off the shelves), and if the parents are buying what the kids want then that means the kids aren't really wanting the new trilogy merchandise. Those "angry middle aged men" have money too, and they love buying star wars merchandise as they've been doing for decades - just not what's on offer from the New Trilogy.

The Prequels might have been terrible but they did satisfy the "younger toy/game buying crowd". That hasn't happened for the New Trilogy.

Neglect your core fanbase at your own peril.

In other news: Three More 'Star Wars' Movies Announced

This new trilogy will be set in the Old Republic era (hurrah.jpeg) but it will be created and written by the current heads of HBO's Game of Thrones (ohno.jpeg). This gives great cause for concern for those familiar with the current state of Game of Thrones Season 8. Needless to say, GoT has undergone a noticeable decline in writing/plot quality since Season 5, which is about the same time as the TV series departed the GRRM book material and went off of D&D's material based on GRRM outlines. This news isn't particularly inspiring. We'll have to see who else they bring on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Holy Wor View Post
Looks even more awful then the last jedi was.
It is difficult to see how anything could be more awful than The Last Jedi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
I was a member of the Fan Force. I quit in 2005 when "fans" were making death threats against Lucas and Ahmed Best over Jar Jar. Last night I got accused of being a N**i because I like Star Wars villains. After a couple hours of that, I deactivated my 11 year old Twitter account because I don't want to wait until one of them doxes or SWATs me.

So obviously I won't be watching it anywhere near a theater nor anywhere where fans gather.
This is a ridiculous reaction by them. It is one thing to love or hate Disney Star Wars but another to personally attack someone who has the opposite view. At the end of the day, it is a film series and there isn't really an objective right or wrong answer to whether you like it or not. It is a matter of taste.

Going into racial/gender stereotypes is exactly what should not be happening in a thread about an upcoming movie. If there is another Worldly Talk rule violation this thread will be closed.