Old Jun 8 '19, 9:28am
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The Sword Coast Is Under Siege

Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Application Deadline: Monday, June 24th, 2019

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

A Dungeons & Dragons Adventure for Characters of Levels 1-7, Concluding in The Rise of Tiamat

Disclaimer: The following adventure contains chromatic dragons. I cannot be held liable for characters who are incinerated, dissolved, frozen, poisoned, or electrocuted.

In this glacial scene illustrated by Raymond Swanland, the white dragon Glazhael takes ice sculpture to extremes, turning intruders into grisly decorations for its draconic lair.

What is this campaign going to be like for me?

Tyranny of Dragons is an epic story told across two adventure products, of which this is the first. Characters begin at 1st level, and by the end of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, they should be 7th or 8th level and ready to continue with The Rise of Tiamat.

Tyranny of Dragons is set in the Forgotten Realms on FaerŻnís western shoreóthe Sword Coast. A thin strip of civilization stretches down this coast, where widely spaced cities are arranged like beads on a string. A combination of roads and wagon tracks loosely connect the cities that stretch from Luskan in the north to Calimport in the south, passing through Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Baldurís Gate, and other great ports along the way. The bulk of this adventure takes place on the stretch between Baldurís Gate and Neverwinter.

What is the posting rate for this campaign?

I plan to post at least 2/week, so I expect you guys to post that often as well.

What kind of characters are you looking for in this campaign?

Iím only accepting character options from the Basic Rules or the Playerís Handbook, and Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

How many characters will you take for this campaign?

The ideal party size is four characters.

How do you want me to apply for this campaign? Applications

Post a new thread in the link above with the following information about your character:
Note: A character sheet is not needed yet.
  • Name: (Try to keep to the cultural naming conventions of your chosen race outlined in their racial descriptions.)
Note: You do not need to use the sample names listed after the naming conventions of your race.
  • Alignment: (Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil are not allowed; Lawful Evil is restricted to Lordsí Alliance or Zhentarim.)
  • Ideal: (Describe one ideal that drives your character: the moral compass that guides his or her decisions.)

Ideals might answer any of these questions:
    • What are the principles that you will never betray?
    • What would prompt you to make sacrifices?
    • What drives you to act and guides your goals and ambitions?
    • What is the single most important thing you strive for?
Note: You can roll for an Ideal if you want to instead.
  • Bond: (Create one bond for your character: the thing your character holds most dear.)

Bonds might answer any of these questions:
    • Whom do you care most about?
    • To what place do you feel a special connection?
    • What is your most treasured possession?
Note: You can roll for a Bond if you want to instead. You can also use Hoard of the Dragon Queen appendix A.
  • Flaw: (Choose a flaw for your character that could one day undermine him or her.)

A flaw might answer any of these questions:
    • What enrages you?
    • Whatís the one person, concept, or event that you are terrified of?
    • What are your vices?
Note: You can roll for a Flaw if you want to instead.
  • Background: (Describe where he or she came from, his or her original occupation, and the characterís place in the world.)

The most important question to ask about your background is: What changed?
    • Why did you stop doing whatever your background describes and start adventuring?
    • Where did you get the money to purchase your starting gear?
    • If you come from a wealthy background, why donít you have more money?
    • How did you learn the skills of your class?
    • What sets you apart from ordinary people who share your background?
Note: You can replace your Background Feature with one from Hoard of the Dragon Queen appendix A.
  • Faction: (Optional, but recommended for this particular campaign; characters will always begin at rank 1 in a faction.)
The Five Factions
Harpers: spellcasters and spies who advocate equality and covertly oppose the abuse of power.
Order of the Gauntlet: faithful and vigilant seekers of justice who protect others from the depredations of evildoers.
Emerald Enclave: wilderness survivalists who preserve the natural order while rooting out unnatural threats.
Lordsí Alliance: established political powers concerned with mutual security and prosperity.
Zhentarim: unscrupulous shadow network that seeks to expand its influence and power throughout FaerŻn.

Game Description:

Fight the war against draconic oppression in this adventure for the worldís greatest roleplaying game.

In an audacious bid for power, the Cult of the Dragon, along with its dragon allies and the Red Wizards of Thay, seek to bring Tiamat from her prison in the Nine Hells to FaerŻn.

To this end, they are sweeping from town to town, laying waste to all those who oppose them and gathering a hoard of riches for their dread queen.

The threat of annihilation has become so dire that groups as disparate as the Harpers and Zhentarim are banding together in the fight against the cult. Never before has the need for heroes been so desperate.

Last edited by Ivellon; Jun 10 '19 at 11:16pm.. Reason: Added a link to an Applications thread group, because itís crazy for me to keep up with all the applications in this thread at once.
Iíve updated the game ad to include a link for an Applications thread group in the game forum. Please move your content there at your earliest convenience.

@Ivellon that's perfectly fine with me. I used the other characteristics more as a guideline to round out my character. I'll go with the Power ideal and the judges harshly flaw, while keeping both bonds, as you pointed out.

Vahnar's name is the name he had as an orphan on the streets, and he's kept it ever since. Bronzewing is more of an epithet, in that regard, and while his teachers and seniors addressed him as "young Bronzewing", his friends and colleagues would call him "Vahnar" instead.

I'm away from my laptop atm, so I'll transfer my application to the game's application subforum as soon as I can, in roughly 4 hours from now

Posting interest, however my character concept might end up somehow sharing Hallistra's spot. Both of them have ties to the church of Eilistraee and are of Drow descent. So I'm running her through Ivellon and Kylia via PM first, expect one soon.

The character that you depict would constitute a remarkable challenge for mine. For all her open mindedness, Amyriel has still has reservations towards drow. The moment Amyriel finds out that your character despises herself for being a drow, Amyriel would encourage Rhea to accept herself accept and cherish her nature, even though it's a good thing that she rejects her culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle_girl View Post
Posting interest, however my character concept might end up somehow sharing Hallistra's spot. Both of them have ties to the church of Eilistraee and are of Drow descent. So I'm running her through Ivellon and Kylia via PM first, expect one soon.
Thereís no reason two good surface Drow canít be picked. I mean, unlikely, but as I have no idea what criteria Ivellon is using...

Besides, while I want to play this, Iím not guaranteed a spot just because I posted an app early. Iíd say apply with what what you wanna play and weíll see who gets picked.

Anyone on the fence about this game, give it a shot; running through two instances of HotDQ concurrently here on the site and loving it Would go for a third if I didn't feel greedy enough grabbing the second.

Iíve updated the House Rules thread with what I think are good combat rules without using a map or a grid.

@Ivellon: I have a question about Wild Magic for you. The Wild Magic Sorcerer archetype has a number of features that say the following: "Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can have you roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect." Would you be comfortable with this being after EVERY spell of 1st level or higher that my character would cast, rather than just the occasional one?

Yes, as Iím a lazy DM itís easier for me to let you choose when you want to roll for your Wild Magic Surge after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, but Iíll only allow it if it doesnít also overlap with Tides of Chaos; if you want to regain your advantage from Tides of Chaos before you finish your next long rest, you will have to roll once on the Wild Magic Surge table and a second time for the Wild Magic Surge chance.

Name: Endron. Alignment:CG. Ideal: to always show kindness and respect to those that truly need it. Bond: I'm very much attached to the love of my father that raised me. Flaw: Has a hard time opening up to others about how he feels. Background: I was an infant when my story began. i was born to a nice sweet farming couple. they owned a great deal of land, but one night a wandering mildly devious sorcerer was walking by when he saw the child's home. Upon answering of the door the sorcerer, who has been longing for a child of his own and who had heard the child crying through the door, killed the parents with his powerful magic and disappeared into the night with this new child in his arm. he quickly settled down and raised the boy as his son. As the boy grew he soon came to be known as Endron by the sorcerer Hexro, and all the townsfolk who lived in the village nearby. Hexro taught Endron the magic he knew soon to find out that Endron was as adept as magic as he was. Soon, many years later as Endron turned 20, Hexro's life expended and he passed away leaving Endron alone and forcibly pushed into the real world. Faction: None.