“Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected” Who does martial arts? - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

“Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected” Who does martial arts?

I've trained / am training in boxing, kick-boxing, BJJ and a bit of Aikido (Aikido sucks imo, so I quickly quit it, but hey, I can still ukemi pretty well, and that's a transferrable skill for parkour!). Not too seriously, but only for lack of time and an overabundance of obligations.

I basically like anything that offers unscripted mid to high intensity sparring, and have a lot of respect for Judo, Wrestling, Muay Thai, TKD and some other arts / sports. It is all great fun, though I am definitely not the most gifted at it!

I’m a third degree black belt in judo, instructor at a not-for-profit club in the Chicagoland area. Trained in Japan for two years and received my shodan from the Kodokan. Massive respect for BJJ, it’s very complimentary to judo and probably the best workouts I’ve ever had, but find that many clubs are more geared towards MMA and profits.

Eh, I dunno, I think I'd rather learn Aikido than BJJ. Ground-fighting is fun, but "how to get your head stamped on" is not my idea of practical self-defence.

Honestly most martial arts clubs are not really practical and the quality varies wildly, but it really depends on what you're aiming for. I mostly only ever did martial arts for fun, plus because being able to balance on clouds is super-useful, but you have to get pretty good before you can do that (same with the energy balls, five-point palm technique, etc, all the newbies think they can get that right away). Some people do it for self-defence, others just for exercise or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakle View Post
In my defense, I was usually competing against people half my age.
Well, this depends on how old you were at the time. If you were, say, 16, competing against people half your age feels a bit unfair.

As unladylike as it sounds, I'm fond of Aikido, Fujian White Crane, German-style Fencing, Kendo, Paranza Corta, and Tantojutsu. I have an interest in Modern Ninpo, but never took the time to learn it.

@TheFred: As you say, it all depends on what one wants. I'd argue that there's a ton of things one can do for practical self-defence that are not necessarily martial arts related. Get big. Carry pepper spray. Improve your situational awareness. Carry a weapon of some sort. Wear armor. De-escalate conflicts. Martial arts help too, of course, but they are very situational.

Luckily many of us live in the first world, and are therefore unlikely to need to learn how to fight for self-defense. So martial arts usually serve some other purpose. I just do it for fun primarily; any other benefits are a nice bonus.

Black belt in Taekwondo and Purple belt in Jiu Jitsu. And it's no coincidence that the belts in Jiu Jitsu are also the colors of bruising.

I've always wanted to do sword fighting though. They have European sword fighting clubs in my area, just got to get up the nerve to go and get my butt kicked at one more martial art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2145 View Post
Black belt in Taekwondo and Purple belt in Jiu Jitsu. And it's no coincidence that the belts in Jiu Jitsu are also the colors of bruising.

I've always wanted to do sword fighting though. They have European sword fighting clubs in my area, just got to get up the nerve to go and get my butt kicked at one more martial art.
After you've done it a few times, what's one more? Hope you make the jump soon.

Okinawan Karate since 1997, folk wrestling, touch of boxing, judo, aikido, escrima, and kempo over the years. A couple of solid years kickboxing under a good pro fighter and now BJJ to supplement me stand up. I am old, slow, and brittle at this point (compared to when I started!)

My kids do Shotokan Karate, mostly for sport (although some self defense, although shotokan isn't great for that). My oldest is a black belt and my younger two are both yellow belts (8th kyu). I spent A LOT of time training with them and all three are going to the National Karate Championships in Chicago this year. My oldest will compete for a spot on the US National team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Well, this depends on how old you were at the time. If you were, say, 16, competing against people half your age feels a bit unfair.
It might be unfair. Learning to deal with opponents with reach and weight advantages are important martial arts skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina Stella View Post
As unladylike as it sounds, I'm fond of Aikido, Fujian White Crane, German-style Fencing, Kendo, Paranza Corta, and Tantojutsu. I have an interest in Modern Ninpo, but never took the time to learn it.
Unladylike? As a gentleman who has a daughter, I'd respectfully disagree!

More on topic, I've dabbled in different arts myself, mostly not well-known ones. It just happened this way.
Alas, I've also had to quit different schools due to changes in schedule or location that made it unpractical to join, usually only after a mere few years. But overall, I've made close to 20 years by now, and I keep learning new stuff and try to improve the old.
OTOH, I hope to stick to what I'm learning now, especially the variations of HEMA* and the Chinese styles. If I do, I should be able to learn better as time (and participations in reenactments, and other experience) keep accruing.

*I actually lump under the HEMA header all weapon styles, and the local styles, despite the almost total lack of affiliation!

It's all a matter of time and perseverance, IMO.