This week in video games... - Page 13 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

EEh... Mass Effect 3's ending is really not a topic you want to bring up, it invokes rage like few others. It hits the right combination of "Protagonist dies", "Nonsensical choices", "choices invalidate all your efforts so far", "crappy or lacking epilogue", then there's that I doubt anybody gave a fruity fruit about the ghost child that kept appearing through the 3rd game, nor about the unskippable forest scenes, so using the kid as avatar for the machine overlord? big fruity meh, should have used your LI or anderson or hackett or something. And I'm probably forgetting a dozen other rage-inducing reasons that make the ending crap.

Hell, I enjoyed the shitty and rushed second disc of Xenogears far more than ME3's ending, I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game a second time and stopped with all succeeding characters at the reaper run.

yeah, I had these big plans to replay the games from 1 to 3 with renegade choices instead of my original straight paragon run, but seeing the ending I lost all motivation.
I just hope beyond hope that with mass effect 4 they will learn from their mistakes and really dive into the universe and setting that made the game great. But most of all lay off the corporate BS that trashed one of the most awesome franchises I've seen in a long while.

On another note, I hate December as a release month for games.

Sure, on one hand everyone loves the holiday deals. However all the shiny brand new games (which are not going to get any price reductions) that are already finished (I am looking at you Telltale) get purposely delayed so that sales peak at the end of the month.

It kind of sucks having to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Yes. It didn't fit into AIM way back in the day, so was shortened to the above, which has stuck with me ever since.

Also: Skyrim removed a lot of dumb abilities, in there. Like acrobatics and athletics (I mean, seriously? I gotta spend the whole damn game jumping everywhere I go?), or some of the extra schools of magic. I don't even mind that they lumped weapons into categories based on one-hand vs. two, instead of by weapon type. One of my few complaints about Morrowind was the sheer number of utterly worthless skills.
No. You don't have to jump everywhere any more than you do in Skyrim. That's your choice. It's just that jumping in the previous games did something beyond the immediate action. Which it doesn't now. Same with athletics. You're now stuck at the same sluggish pace for the entire game.

About Oblivion jumping... it actually was the opposite way for me: avoiding sprinting and jumping, because doing so leveled a skill, and that leveled the character, which then leveled the enemies.
Of course, said enemies had combat-worthy skill proportions, while the jumping hero would have a ridiculously high athletics and horrid, horrid weapon and magic abilities.

It is no coincidence that one of the first mods I downloaded replaced the whole leveling and skill system. Skyrim is at least tolerable/controllable in it's vanilla state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
About Oblivion jumping... it actually was the opposite way for me: avoiding sprinting and jumping, because doing so leveled a skill, and that leveled the character, which then leveled the enemies.
Of course, said enemies had combat-worthy skill proportions, while the jumping hero would have a ridiculously high athletics and horrid, horrid weapon and magic abilities.

It is no coincidence that one of the first mods I downloaded replaced the whole leveling and skill system. Skyrim is at least tolerable/controllable in it's vanilla state.
If I recall correctly, you didn't have to level up if you didn't want to and if it wasn't of your core skills levelling it up wouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post

Another example of Bethesda's time honored tradition of "fixing" a broken feature by completely removing it in the name of "accessibility".

And as RadicalD said, you didn't have to set it as a skill that leveled you up. That's not to say that the leveling up system in Oblivion wasn't totally horrible. It was. And that's not to say that I don't think Skyrim's works better, it does. But simply removing all the features that didn't work well isn't fixing it. It's removing it.

Huh, shows how much I used the vanilla Oblivion leveling before scrapping it. I do recall doing some utterly nonsensical things the time I used it, like making my class out of dump skills.
I really don't mind the skill/leveling change on Skyrim, there's nothing I miss from Ob in that regard, Enchanting/Spell Creation, on the other hand, now THAT is something that saddened me to loose.

But you have to understand Rider, the game is not just one feature. They dumbed the game down across the board, just like they did with Oblivion and even Morrowind. From Oblivion to Skyrim, instead of fixing the skill and attribute system, they removed it. Instead of fixing the OP Spell Creation system, they removed it. Instead of making skills more useful they removed them. They even removed pants as an armor piece even though I don't know of anyone who had complained about it. But they just removed it to make the game simpler and dumber.

Did anyone get Black Flag? How different is it from the previous games?