This week in video games... - Page 751 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDarksword View Post
Larian

Hasbro/WOTC giving their D&D video game license to a company that might actually make a D&D game again. Very nice.

That teaser is especially disgusting though.

Was not expecting that. Certainly more entertaining than a curse or disease, though.

I'm not particularly interested in much from E3 this year that I haven't heard of already but CD Projekt Red just dropped their newest cinematic trailer for Cyberpunk 2077. I mean, sure, no actual new gameplay but the ending left me SCREAMING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight910 View Post
cinematic trailer

Yeah. Consensus, such as there is, seems to be that he's probably Johnny Silverhand. And that they just sold ALL the copies. One heck of a trailer anyhow. Well played CD Projekt Red. Well played.

The slow burn to the reveal was phenomenal - the Samurai band logo on V's collar caught my attention and then the omage of the entire scene to Jonny Mneumonic ( data-courier gig gone bad, anyone? It's not overt but it's there.) got me curious and then the Keanu's drawling, almost disdainful "get up Samurai . . .", the chrome silver arm on screen than BAM, smash cut to black with Chippin' In blazing. If Keanu's not playing Johnny Silverhand I'm Morgan-effing-Blackhand. Or he is.

That's unfortunate, I was hoping to pick up a physical copy myself. Still, this has... INCREDIBLE questions now since Johnny Silverhand was around in the early 2000s when Cyberpunk first began. Which means he should be in his 90s by now but he's still looks fine. My guess is that weird little graphical glitch around his body means that Silverhand has uploaded his consciousness to cyberspace, so that he's only visible to V because of cyber-eyes or something when it comes to his HUD.

Still, so cool to see Keanu Reeves finally back in the cyberpunk genre again, and playing another famous Johnny character!

Edit: Also, the new Male V default model (at least that's what I'm guessing he's going to be) looks a lot more nuanced and interesting than back in 2018, able to look flippant and sincere when needed.

Cyberpunk 2077 definitely stole the show, but I'm looking forward to the new Obsidian game. TAKE MY MONEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight910 View Post
That's unfortunate, I was hoping to pick up a physical copy myself. Still, this has... INCREDIBLE questions now since Johnny Silverhand was around in the early 2000s when Cyberpunk first began. Which means he should be in his 90s by now but he's still looks fine. My guess is that weird little graphical glitch around his body means that Silverhand has uploaded his consciousness to cyberspace, so that he's only visible to V because of cyber-eyes or something when it comes to his HUD.

Still, so cool to see Keanu Reeves finally back in the cyberpunk genre again, and playing another famous Johnny character!
. . . crat, I think you're right. It's cannon in one of the Cyberpunk 2020 timelines that Silverhand was assasinated and "revived" by way of a cloned copy with backed up memories at least once. And the initial adventure he shows up in has his input/SO Alt Cunningham go full infomorph after working on the black ICE program Soulkiller. Between her, the clone back up and the fact that the pair of them were drivers of the anti-corp resistance in the CGen timeline . . . good lord, "burn the city down" indeed. I think you're right, he's a ghost in the frikken' machine.

With the level and number of deep lore cuts this game is dishing out just in the trailers: either the guys making the game love Night City or Mike Pondsmith made some Faustian pact with CD Projeckt Red to bring his fever-punk dreams to life.