Rise of Skywalker - Page 13 - Myth-Weavers


General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.


Rise of Skywalker

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwill View Post
Yes, it does. It makes it internally consistent and has some sort of logic behind it. Of course, Superman, Darth Vader, and Wolverine break all sorts of scientific laws in our universe but it doesn't in theirs. Without that, you have something like the Holdo Maneuver in TLJ which asks way too many questions beginning with "Why didn't anyone do that before?"
For over 20, there was no origin story for Darth Vader. Then the prequels came out, and suddenly salt everywhere. I think Disney chose the right demographic to craft their movies for.

Rose mainly suffers from the fact that Rian Johnson wanted to make his own thing, he introduced a character and left it to someone else to deal with its meaning for the whole, yet ongoing story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
For over 20, there was no origin story for Darth Vader. Then the prequels came out, and suddenly salt everywhere. I think Disney chose the right demographic to craft their movies for.
No origin story? He was a Jedi and the Emperor turned him. It's pieced together between ep. 4 and 6. That's the basics, but that's all you really need.

The first trilogy came out in a vacuum. I can't really see how anybody would imagine to use the same strategy on a universe that has been around and speculated on for 40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
For over 20, there was no origin story for Darth Vader. Then the prequels came out, and suddenly salt everywhere. I think Disney chose the right demographic to craft their movies for.
There wouldn't have been a need for one for Snoke if he didn't appear to be old enough to wonder why Vader and the Emperor allowed him to exist and why we never heard of him before. Who Rey's parents wouldn't be important if it weren't for the fact that TFA made a fuss over it. This trilogy coming after the OT asks questions that the OT didn't. That set the standard , so to speak. You didn't know anything about it so you could say anything you wanted. Now that the PT and the OT happened it restricts you. You shouldn't do anything that contradicts what happened before without a hell of a good explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigredo View Post
No origin story? He was a Jedi and the Emperor turned him. It's pieced together between ep. 4 and 6. That's the basics, but that's all you really need.

The first trilogy came out in a vacuum. I can't really see how anybody would imagine to use the same strategy on a universe that has been around and speculated on for 40 years.
Yep. there wasn't anything to contradict because it was brand new. If they made a new Batman and he suddenly started acting like the Punisher you would have to have one hell of explanation because it contradicts the character. Batman has been long established as having a strong code against killing anyone. If Batman were created today and he simply killed criminals it wouldn't be a problem because he wouldn't have been established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwill View Post
Yep. there wasn't anything to contradict because it was brand new. If they made a new Batman and he suddenly started acting like the Punisher you would have to have one hell of explanation because it contradicts the character. Batman has been long established as having a strong code against killing anyone. If Batman were created today and he simply killed criminals it wouldn't be a problem because he wouldn't have been established.
Truth be told, Lucas also made the same mistake on a detail...On Endor's moon Luke asks Leia about her (their) mother, and Leia says she was beautiful but sad.

...unfortunately, Padme's death makes Leia's reply void of any significance as she coudln't remember her and Luke's real mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigredo View Post
Truth be told, Lucas also made the same mistake on a detail...On Endor's moon Luke asks Leia about her (their) mother, and Leia says she was beautiful but sad.

...unfortunately, Padme's death makes Leia's reply void of any significance as she coudln't remember her and Luke's real mother.

True, he did make a number of errors but they were less glaring. Relatively speaking it is a minor continuity error. It isn't like the Holdo Maneuver which makes every Galactic Power in SWU history idiots for not using it before. It isn't like wondering why Rey is apparently as powerful as ROTJ Luke with no training. It isn't like why Snoke died like a chump in TLJ after being a very powerful DS user. It is like wondering how the First Order managed to build such a bigger and more expensive weapon than the Empire at its height with only the Unknown Regions for resources without the Republic noticing it. Or why they even built one after it already failed twice. Or why the Republic is on its last legs after destroying said superweapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwill View Post
Actually it isn't, it explains why you are more powerful. Why is Superman so powerful? He is an alien. Why is Wolverine? He has a very favorable mutation plus a technologically based power. The first is clearly more powerful than Darth Vader but there is a background explanation for it. The same with Anakin. Rey is ridiculously OP with no explanation.
Are you saying that your problem with Rey ultimately comes from the fact that no one counted her midi-chlorians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Are you saying that your problem with Rey ultimately comes from the fact that no one counted her midi-chlorians?
Anakin was both the Chosen One and was trained. The ultra high midicholrian count was used to prove it. Rey is neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwill View Post
True, he did make a number of errors but they were less glaring. Relatively speaking it is a minor continuity error. It isn't like the Holdo Maneuver which makes every Galactic Power in SWU history idiots for not using it before. It isn't like wondering why Rey is apparently as powerful as ROTJ Luke with no training. It isn't like why Snoke died like a chump in TLJ after being a very powerful DS user. It is like wondering how the First Order managed to build such a bigger and more expensive weapon than the Empire at its height with only the Unknown Regions for resources without the Republic noticing it. Or why they even built one after it already failed twice. Or why the Republic is on its last legs after destroying said superweapon.
With all the other stuff I don't like about TLJ, I have just decided to overlook anything about Holdo and her manoeuvre.
Anakin - as far as I understand - has been canonically created by Palpatine according to some new comic. I'm kinda expecting they will turn Rey into the real Chosen One. She still lacks any training to do anything consciously, though.
Snoke popping out of nowhere is a bother, yes. The idiotic way he dies...well, "schizophrenic" characters are IMHO a big flaw of TLJ, and no character is safe from that.
I believe that in some novel or new comic they have given some sort of explanation for the First Order resources, but I don't follow so I'm not sure.
Starkiller station...uh...3rd time's the charm?;
The New Republic is on its last legs because they had disarmed almost completely (sounds perfectly logical, right?) and the planet that hosted the government has been vaporised.







 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Last Database Backup 2019-07-18 09:00:08am local time
Myth-Weavers Status