Old Jun 8 '19, 9:28am
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The Sword Coast Is Under Siege

Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Application Deadline: Monday, June 24th, 2019

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

A Dungeons & Dragons Adventure for Characters of Levels 1-7, Concluding in The Rise of Tiamat

Disclaimer: The following adventure contains chromatic dragons. I cannot be held liable for characters who are incinerated, dissolved, frozen, poisoned, or electrocuted.

In this glacial scene illustrated by Raymond Swanland, the white dragon Glazhael takes ice sculpture to extremes, turning intruders into grisly decorations for its draconic lair.

What is this campaign going to be like for me?

Tyranny of Dragons is an epic story told across two adventure products, of which this is the first. Characters begin at 1st level, and by the end of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, they should be 7th or 8th level and ready to continue with The Rise of Tiamat.

Tyranny of Dragons is set in the Forgotten Realms on FaerŻnís western shoreóthe Sword Coast. A thin strip of civilization stretches down this coast, where widely spaced cities are arranged like beads on a string. A combination of roads and wagon tracks loosely connect the cities that stretch from Luskan in the north to Calimport in the south, passing through Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Baldurís Gate, and other great ports along the way. The bulk of this adventure takes place on the stretch between Baldurís Gate and Neverwinter.

What is the posting rate for this campaign?

I plan to post at least 2/week, so I expect you guys to post that often as well.

What kind of characters are you looking for in this campaign?

Iím only accepting character options from the Basic Rules or the Playerís Handbook, and Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

How many characters will you take for this campaign?

The ideal party size is four characters.

How do you want me to apply for this campaign? Applications

Post a new thread in the link above with the following information about your character:
Note: A character sheet is not needed yet.
  • Name: (Try to keep to the cultural naming conventions of your chosen race outlined in their racial descriptions.)
Note: You do not need to use the sample names listed after the naming conventions of your race.
  • Alignment: (Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil are not allowed; Lawful Evil is restricted to Lordsí Alliance or Zhentarim.)
  • Ideal: (Describe one ideal that drives your character: the moral compass that guides his or her decisions.)

Ideals might answer any of these questions:
    • What are the principles that you will never betray?
    • What would prompt you to make sacrifices?
    • What drives you to act and guides your goals and ambitions?
    • What is the single most important thing you strive for?
Note: You can roll for an Ideal if you want to instead.
  • Bond: (Create one bond for your character: the thing your character holds most dear.)

Bonds might answer any of these questions:
    • Whom do you care most about?
    • To what place do you feel a special connection?
    • What is your most treasured possession?
Note: You can roll for a Bond if you want to instead. You can also use Hoard of the Dragon Queen appendix A.
  • Flaw: (Choose a flaw for your character that could one day undermine him or her.)

A flaw might answer any of these questions:
    • What enrages you?
    • Whatís the one person, concept, or event that you are terrified of?
    • What are your vices?
Note: You can roll for a Flaw if you want to instead.
  • Background: (Describe where he or she came from, his or her original occupation, and the characterís place in the world.)

The most important question to ask about your background is: What changed?
    • Why did you stop doing whatever your background describes and start adventuring?
    • Where did you get the money to purchase your starting gear?
    • If you come from a wealthy background, why donít you have more money?
    • How did you learn the skills of your class?
    • What sets you apart from ordinary people who share your background?
Note: You can replace your Background Feature with one from Hoard of the Dragon Queen appendix A.
  • Faction: (Optional, but recommended for this particular campaign; characters will always begin at rank 1 in a faction.)
The Five Factions
Harpers: spellcasters and spies who advocate equality and covertly oppose the abuse of power.
Order of the Gauntlet: faithful and vigilant seekers of justice who protect others from the depredations of evildoers.
Emerald Enclave: wilderness survivalists who preserve the natural order while rooting out unnatural threats.
Lordsí Alliance: established political powers concerned with mutual security and prosperity.
Zhentarim: unscrupulous shadow network that seeks to expand its influence and power throughout FaerŻn.

Game Description:

Fight the war against draconic oppression in this adventure for the worldís greatest roleplaying game.

In an audacious bid for power, the Cult of the Dragon, along with its dragon allies and the Red Wizards of Thay, seek to bring Tiamat from her prison in the Nine Hells to FaerŻn.

To this end, they are sweeping from town to town, laying waste to all those who oppose them and gathering a hoard of riches for their dread queen.

The threat of annihilation has become so dire that groups as disparate as the Harpers and Zhentarim are banding together in the fight against the cult. Never before has the need for heroes been so desperate.

Last edited by Ivellon; Jun 10 '19 at 11:16pm.. Reason: Added a link to an Applications thread group, because itís crazy for me to keep up with all the applications in this thread at once.
@Feuerrabe: Thanks for letting me know about that problem with Google. Iíve now made the change over to imgur.com

Iím still new to play-by-post role-playing games, so please forgive my ignorance about the applications. Iíve always preferred to do character creation in phases, starting with the characterís personality and background, so I can get an idea of what kind of stories my players will want to tell with him or her.

Once we have an idea about who your character is we can then move them to a character sheet, and for that I will probably take your advice and open up a subforum for character applications. For now, though, I think Iíll keep it as is: itís only seven points.

This is a very excellent write up, super clear and precise on what the players need to know. That's awesome in my book!

But uh... @Ivellon, have you run Horde of the Dragon Queen before? Or been with a group that's played it before? Because from my own personal experience running it and online sentiment is that it requires A LOT of redesign and jury-rigging to make it a game that won't kill your players in its first few sessions.

Ok! I'm loving the new edition of DnD, don't mind if I apply~

"By fire or blade, Justice will be served."

Myastan Balin
Gold Dragonborn Paladin 1
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Soldier
Diety: Bahamut
Faction: Order of the Gauntlet (Chevall)
Personality TraitsI can stare down a hell hound without flinching. Only the wrath of my lord makes me cower in fear.

IdealsI do what I must and obey just authority, and justice comes from the almighty flames of Bahamut.

FlawsI made a terrible mistake in battle that cost many lives...and I would do anything to keep that mistake secret. Every time I go into battle, I worry about my fellow soldiers and friends.

BondsI was once a gold dragon who served Bahamut. I was too proud and vain, to the point that Bahamut decided to teach me a lesson. I've been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with memories of my former life but a dim shadow. I remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut's command to go into the world and prove my devotion to the cause of good. If I'm found worthy, upon my death, I'll return to his side in my true, glorious form.

@darknight910 This got discussed a fair amount on the Myth Weavers Discord yesterday. The big thing is that players involved need to recognize that there are fights they can't win in this AP. Murder hobos or that barbarian that always charges are bad fits for the adventure.

@Ivellon I'd like to point out that you clearly were way too concerned with your ad being subpar when asking advice on the Discord yesterday. The entire layout is very well done!

I just noticed that my character's background is not from the Player's Handbook, but from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. If that's a problem I can change it to noble, even though she isn't technically noble (well, she had been a Countess in Tethyr, but only for 27 years). She was just an influential and wealthy woman in the courts of Evermeet before she left that life behind.

As for the character sheet... well, I could pretend that I did not have one, if that helps. I'll have to adjust it to your rules, anyway.

EDIT: I think I got it about adjusted now.

Adapted application from: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=448630

I'm using multiples of Ideals, Flaws, and Bonds. If one and only one of each must be picked, assume the one listed first (Power ideal, Leosin bond, harsh judgement flaw)

Name: Vahnar Bronzewing

Alignment: Lawful Good

Ideal:
  • Power: I hope to one day rise to the top of my faith’s religious hierarchy. (Lawful)
  • Faith: I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well. (Lawful)
  • Aspiration: I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings. (Any)
  • Respect: Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity. (Good)
  • Charity: I always try to help those in need no matter the personal cost. (Good)

Bond:
  • Leosin Erlanthar, a wandering monk, once saved my life. He's sent urgent word for you to meet him in a small town called Greenest. Looks like it's time to pay off a debt.
  • I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.

Flaw:
  • I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
  • Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it, to the detriment of everything else in my life.

Background Feature:
You have studied dragons and their lore for many years. You can automatically identify locations built or used by dragons and can identify dragons eggs and scales by sight. If you fail an Intelligence check to recall lore relating to dragons, you know something or some book you can consult for the answer unless the DM rules that the lore is unknown.
Dragon Scholar

Background: Vahnar was born in the city of Revanaen. An orphan, he was brought into the temple of Eskandyr, one of the chief Bronze Dragons serving Bahamut, who according to legends, sacrificed himself in order to protect a homlet from a rampaging horde of Blue Dragons. Bearing a mark on his shoulder that was shaped like the wing of a dragon, and shone with a bronze hue on his grey skin, the acolytes on the temple took that as an omen, and christened the young Half Orc Bronzewing. Indeed, from a young age, the child showed an exceptional affinity towards the scolastic teachings of the Order, and he willingly dedicated himself to the service of Bahamut and Eskandyr, whilst his physical prowess and affinity ensured that he'd be inducted as a Warrior Monk in training. His gruff appearance notwithstanding, Vahnar quickly grew as a dedicated and disciplined member of the Order of the Bronze Claw, trainned both in the rituals of the faith, and in the esoteric martial arts it taught, the Rolling Thunder Fist of the Dragon God.

Having caught word of the omenous circumstances behind his name, however, didn't take long to get to his head, and Vahnar started seeing omens and signs everywhere, ascribing to them a fate of glory and unanimous acknowledgement. He quickly grew in ambition, as the need to prove himself worthy of his name dictaded most of his actions. Driven to excel, the young Half Orc worked to the bone, until his inauguration as a full-fledged member of the Order. Having achieved first place among the disciples, Vahnar was proud to recieve his title, but on the day of the ceremony, the Dragonscale cloak, a sacred one-of-a-kind vestment that the head monk wore in order to bless the newly inducted, got stolen. Crestfallen that he would not meet his destiny, Vahnar was initially forced to the sidelines, as agents of the Order scoured the continent in search of the guilty party.

It was at that time that a friend of Vahnar's, Xiphos Songi, approached him, with information about the Dragonscale Cloak's possible whereabouts. He made mention of a wandering Merchant who was passing by the temple that day, on his way to Candlekeep. Deciding to seize the chance, Vahnar did something he had never done before in his 16 years living in the Order's temple; he snuck outside, and approached the entrepreneur. The merchant, Olrick Harfelnpas, seemed reluctant to impart Vahnar with the information at first, until the young monk offered his services in exchange. The monks of the Order of the Bronze Claw are noted across the land as possessing potent abilities in fighting and wielding the power of lightning and thunder, and thus, for the merchant, accepting the help of the Order's most promising pupil, at basically no cost, seemed like a natural idea.

For three years did they travel together, and Vahnar got no word of the Dragonscale Cloak in the interim. As he was beginning to lose hope, however he finally heard a rumour about a heretic sect of Evil Dragon worshipers, who had been sighted around Revanaen near the time the cloak was lost. It didn't take much for Vahnar to put 2 and 2 together, and the eager monk decided to set once more on the road, bidding his employer adieu. The merchant, to show his gratefulness for Vahnar's servitude, decided to throw him a farewell party. Vahnar ate, drunk, and sung to his heart's content, the eagerness of finally proving himself to his order's eyes making him positively elated. Vahnar fell asleep.

Waking up, he found himself chain bound, inside a slaver ship bound to Waterdeep. The merchant had pulled one over Vahnar, deciding to make a profit out of the monk one last time. Vahnar's fury was rendered impotent, as the Half Orc was sold to a wealthy mine owner, and forced into labor for 1 year, until one day, a wandering monk by the name of Leosin Erlanthar, arrived and saved the young prideful acolyte, after delivering a thorough beating. Vahnar, awestruck by this seemingly selfless act, asked Leosin how could he repay him for his kindness. Leosin asked him his name, and upon hearing it, he merely smiled, and said: "Give your help where you can, and one day, you will find your debt repaid to me."

Vahnar parted ways with the wandering monk, and resumed his search for the stolen relic. The trail had gone cold, the next two years had barely provided any good results for the Half Orc acolyte of Eskandyr, but something had changed in the young monk. The last few years had proven incredibly humbling to the prideful Vahnar, and though he still held his aspirations of grandeur, his eyes had also been opened to the misfortune of others. He'd taken Leosin's words to heart, and would strive to do everything he could to help those in need, in his travels, even whilst keeping himself focused on his goal. The young monk had made a name to himself amongst the downtrodden of the Sword Coast, and eventually, joined the Order of the Gauntlet, of which the Order of the Bronze Claw is an affiliated branch.

Until one day, he received word from Leosin, urging him to meet the wandering monk on Greenest. Sensing his benefactor had landed himself in trouble that was beyond his own handling, Vahnar was elated, as he could finally find a way to repay the man himself for his favor. This time, he thought, the Dragonscale Cloak would have to wait...

Faction: Order of the Gauntlet

@Ivellon Are you allowing the Revised Ranger, or only the Ranger in the PHB?