Sci-Fi/Modern Map tokens needed - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Sci-Fi/Modern Map tokens needed

Sci-Fi/Modern Map tokens needed

So I'm preparing to start up a new Gamma World game, and I am struggling to find helpful tiles and tokens to decorate the map with. I'm sifting through the MapTools galleries now, and skimming the internet through google searches, but I'm still not finding much.

I know I need some good modern (preferably old and rusty in appearance) vehicles, the party is starting off in an old beat-up pick up truck. I'm not finding much useful for that, just side views of vehicles, which will work in a pinch I guess but they aren't really what I'm looking for. I also need absurd machinery, computers, vats of random goo, cryogenic chambers, etc....

So I'll continue my search online, but I was hoping that some of you might know where some good ones are at already.

Any help would be fantastic.

I rarely use illustrated tokens, I usually just use poker chips. However, if you really want some, you could try doing a google image search of "junkers", or seeing if you can find a google maps view of a scrap yard (shouldn't be too hard, just look up a local one and search it on google maps) since I'm assuming you want "top down" views, right?

Or use old hotwheels!

It's for my Myth-Weavers game, so unless I take snapshots of hot wheel (which I just might!!!) that's not gonna work out so well...

Perseverance is the key. Commit some time to it and you'll usually find what you're looking for; usually in sudden bursts of hidden goodness, where you suddenly stumble upon a trove of dozens of usable files at once. Admittedly, sci-fi and modern tokens are less readily available than fantasy art tokens but they're still out there.

I have a ton of modern vehicle tokens from various sites, but rusted out vehicles are less plentiful to find. I have had to resort to texturing my own for my post-apocalyptic settings, though that can be time-consuming, requires software and the requisite skill to do. Its difficult for me to recall which tokens I paid for and which ones I got for free so I can't tell you if you're going to have to shell out for them or not, but they are out there. Below are some of my favorite sites.

Token SitesDundjinni
www.dundjinni.com
In the forums section are literally thousands of tokens, you just have to pick through and find them. Here are some I found fairly readily:
Modern Streets (For purchase)
Modern/sci-fi Vehicles (free)
Industrial vehicles (free)
Gas station objects (free)
Car wrecks (free)
Car Wars (free)
RPG MapShare
http://rpgmapshare.com
Get ready to clog your bandwidth! This site is chock full of freely downloadable tokens. I'm only going to link one hotspot here but its a doozy:
Civilian Vehicles (free) Notice at the bottom....37 pages!!!
Fantasy Grounds
https://www.fantasygrounds.com
You'll have to poke through that one yourself as I've run out of time but theres a lot of tokens on there as well I believe.

DriveThruRPG
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com
Check this commercial, pay site out for map tokens.

RPGNow
http://www.rpgnow.com
Pretty sure this is the same as Drivethru, but check it out in case its not.

There are others but this is what I could come up with at a moments notice.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I spent about 5 hours yesterday going through the art galleries on Maptools and found a cache of Space Hulk tiles that will greatly help out.

I've never used Dundjinni are the files it uses regular picture files, or do you have to use that program to use their files?

Still on the look out, but thanks. That helps a lot. I'll check out all this once I finish with Maptools.

Does MapTools require its own file type? I'm not familiar with it. Most map tiles are saved as .png files to preserve transparency layers for overlaying onto map backgrounds in a piece of software like GIMP or Photoshop. Dundjinni has its own filetypes I think, but many of the tokens available on their forums are just .png files.