Kathy Woodfellow: Friend of All - Myth-Weavers

Kathy Woodfellow: Friend of All

Kathy Woodfellow: Friend of All

"Sir please help me... I haven't any family nor friends... maybe we can be friends? "
Kathy Woodfellow
Female (Girl) CG Human Healer//Crusader, Level 1, Init -6, HP 12/12, Speed 30
AC 13, Touch 10, Flat-footed 13, Fort 4, Ref 0, Will -2, Base Attack Bonus +1
Shortspear +3 (1d6+1, x2)
Greataxe +3 (1d8+3, 20 / x3)
Sling +1 (1d3+2, x2)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18
Condition None

Region: The Tallas

Okay, not waiting until tomorrow.

She looks great. And that unicorn horn item sounds interesting. Did you happen to see my posts on miniature "Weapons of Legacy"-type items?

It also looks like you've read some of my setting lore. You've read about the "marrying age" custom of Wenwyn, I guess?

Also, are you using Natural Bond to make up for the 1/2 ECL from your horse companion? Honestly, if you're just going to get a horse, I might not make you take the 1/2 ECL on that. I mean, it's a horse, right? And it's not even going to be a combat mount, is it? I mean, if you want to go for a frontline combat companion, I'll want to be more stingy; but since you're just taking a horse, and since your Healer levels could be construed as counting towards a unicorn companion, I think it's fine to just let you have full ECL for ti, and save the feat.

Last thought, though: 1st-level characters aren't supposed to be able to get minions, but I'm not sure I'm going to count a mule as a minion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
She looks great. And that unicorn horn item sounds interesting. Did you happen to see my posts on miniature "Weapons of Legacy"-type items?

It also looks like you've read some of my setting lore. You've read about the "marrying age" custom of Wenwyn, I guess?
Yes. I plan on taking advantage of her age and streamlining the WoL requests.

Quote:
Also, are you using Natural Bond to make up for the 1/2 ECL from your horse companion?
D'oh! I have a mule for carrying capacity! Switching to a badger for now, and I'll retrain the feat at level 6.

Quote:
Last thought, though: 1st-level characters aren't supposed to be able to get minions, but I'm not sure I'm going to count a mule as a minion.
'Tis only for carrying capacity. Doth it still count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
Yes. I plan on taking advantage of her age and streamlining the WoL requests.
Okay, cool. And if you're interested in designing the item yourself, you're welcome to do it. I'll still retain my rights to edit and veto, but if you'd like some control over the creative process, feel free. Or, if you'd rather be surprised, I'm happy to design it myself too.

Quote:
D'oh! I have a mule for carrying capacity! Switching to a badger for now, and I'll retrain the feat at level 6.
Okay.

Quote:
'Tis only for carrying capacity. Doth it still count?
It should be fine. It's looking like my companion/minion rules may need some more careful thought, but I'll go ahead and allow low-level beasts of burden as "non-minions," because it shouldn't really impact the game that much.

Ok, I finished making the transition from sorcerer to crusader, and have changed everything accordingly.

The "Weapon of Legacy" is done as "Lumberjack's Axe" with references to her backstory (which has also been changed).

Alright, mechanically, she looks great. And the backstory is really intriguing. I sense you'll be working a rather anti-fey angle? If so, that might be really interesting, since in Wenwyn proper, the fey are generally benign and usually even benevolent (but often still kind of averse to human contact). But in a place called the Tallas, there's a fair amount of ambiguity. So, the fey can be mischievous or even xenophobic; and the humans are usually quite suspicious and uncomfortable around fey, even the benevolent types of Wenwyn (with a few noteworthy exceptions). And I think the Tallas would be a great place to set Kathy's home village.

"The Tallas" is an old name, dating back a few centuries; these days, it's mostly called "The Northern Marchlands" or the "Border Marches" by most Wennnish folk. If you look on the map (below), it's not marked, but it's the strip of land that stretches between the city of Thalowy on the west, and the Mountains of Ylvas to the east. It's kind of a "no man's land" between the Wenwyn region and the Great Forest of Sunimaya. It sits in a place of ambiguity between the jurisdictions of Talgard and Ambroth. Neither of the two kingdoms has much interest in the area, because it's mostly unproductive moorlands with poor farming characteristics, or borderlands that see entirely too much volatile fey activity. So the humans villages in this area are quite independent and rarely see tax collectors or get involved in Wennish politics or wars (of which there have actually been relatively few of late).

In Sunimaya
I used to call this forest "Thalowy," but I've recently changed it to avoid the confusion with the city
**, the fey are still quite unaccepting of humans, and your backstory for Kathy would fit well in this area. It's also the area where the story I think I want to run the most will take place. It'll start at the village of Kernohest, and involve some small-town intrigue and local legends, some mysteries and detective work; it will also have some natural disasters, some monster hunting and wilderness combat, and hopefully grow into something with a little more regional significance by the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
And the backstory is really intriguing. I sense you'll be working a rather anti-fey angle?
It should be more anti-Verdant Swarm, but Kathy wouldn't know that, having hid under the covers. I'll add in Tallas.

Anything else that I did good/bad?

Quote:
It should be more anti-Verdant Swarm, but Kathy wouldn't know that, having hid under the covers. I'll add in Tallas.

Anything else that I did good/bad?
Oh, the axe is nice too: it's approved. I've got some ideas for how to integrate the weapon's backstory into a narrative progression (e.g., how does it come to possess its magical abilities, and what spiritual/magical mechanics underlie the function, etc), but I'll wait on that until I've got a clearer picture of how the party is going to shape up.

If you're still looking at a unicorn companion, how does this one look to you?

Lesser Unicorn