Rules You Wish Were Retained? - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Rules You Wish Were Retained?

Flippantly, I wish most of 3rd Ed was retained in 4th Ed. But then, I still play 3rd and not 4th.

More seriously, weren't cure spells part of Necromancy in 2nd Ed? That made a lot more sense than 3rd Ed's Conjuration.

I know they were necromancy at least up through 1e. And the Forgotten Realms wiki confirms they were still necromancy in 2e. But if you want to really break your brain a bit, try to figure out why in all the names of Gygax they made Cure an Evocation spell in 5e. That makes even less sense than Conjuration.

I think Evocation makes more sense than Conjuration. It's a kind of manipulation of energy, after all. It's stupid, but less stupid than Conjuration which has absolutely zero to do with healing whatsoever. But yeah, Necromancy all the way for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Flippantly, I wish most of 3rd Ed was retained in 4th Ed. But then, I still play 3rd and not 4th.

More seriously, weren't cure spells part of Necromancy in 2nd Ed? That made a lot more sense than 3rd Ed's Conjuration.
Necromancy school, Healing sphere.

How about Morale checks and followers at "name level" for none caster types? I know that in 3e/3.5/PF that larger groups of monsters/opposition didn't happen as often (memory here) due to the way the mechanics worked, but something to keep everything from being a battle to the death other than DM fiat would be nice for the RAW crew. They at least provided good guidelines.

The followers work at name level if you settle the characters into something other than the murder-hobo, 1st-20th level with no down time mode. If It ties the martials back to 'the real world" in ways casters generally don't. And it kind of had DMs having to think of something other than the next big dungeon now and then. No, Leadership feat isn't what I'm talking about. Not really the same sort of thing.

Thinking about it, I'm not really so intimately familiar with many games that have editions which are large departures from the previous ones. Fate Core is simply an all around improvement upon earlier editions, and something like Apocalypse World 2e is just more refined overall.

D&D is possibly the only system that I really know well enough to comment on, and... Eh, while I do have things I like about each edition and dislike, I don't really see the need to draw one from the other. The designs of each editions are typically fairly entwined, and taking out separate things can get difficult quickly.

Then there are things that are just... nice but not really meaningful in any way. Like the aforementioned healing as necromancy. Neat flavor thing, I do agree with it, but it's just not really anything that affects anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post

and conjuration made more sense than they being classified as Evocations in 5e...

and it's weird, but, for all that it wasn't really D&D, I miss 4e because it was so nice mechanically (if a bit hard to handle without Herolab), and I had excellent times playing it, fo all I initially had misgivings about it.