How Many House Rules Are You Willing to Read? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

How Many House Rules Are You Willing to Read?

View Poll Results
How much house rules text are you willing to read before deciding on applying?
Anything beyond a single character guideline post and I'm not reading it. 6 7.23%
A list of changes, and maybe one or two major new rules with full explanation. 33 39.76%
Up to half an hour of reading, after that my eyes glaze over. 10 12.05%
I'll read through as much as you can write, as long as it's well formatted and stays interesting. 31 37.35%
I wouldn't be interested in this at all, I just like responding to polls. 3 3.61%

How Many House Rules Are You Willing to Read?

So I'm thinking of starting a campaign of D&D 3.5 at epic levels. And I know what everyone's first thought is: D&D 3.5 doesn't work at epic levels. And I agree. Which is why I've written a bunch of house rules to try to fix it.

This thread is not about the content of those rules, that's another discussion. This thread is about the fact that there are a LOT of them. Multiple threads with text to read, dozens of revised feats, changes to spells, etc. Some are rules I've used before, some are ones I'm adding now, but I took a look at what I have and...it's a lot of text. A lot to ask people to read before they even know if they're going to get a spot playing in the game.

So without getting into a discussion of the rules themselves, I wanted to take a quick survey and see how many house rules you'd be willing to read through before passing on the whole game. Obviously, I'm only interested in players who would even consider a high level 3.5 game in the first place. And I'm not asking for whether you would like the specific rules I wrote, just whether or not you'd be willing to read through them to find out if you'd like them.

Thanks in advance

I chose the option that I most closely identified with, but rules being well formatted and properly sectioned off goes a long way. For instance if you have 5 pages of changes to the wizard class, I doubt I would bother reading those as I never play wizards. But if you have pages regarding something that directly affects a class or combo I do want to play, then obviously I'll go read (and probably re-read) that.

Probably best to organize it extremely well, and make sure to have a thread for things affecting all characters and threads for changes to particular classes/races elsewhere.

That's a good idea, yeah. The big one that I'm having a problem with are the epic feats, because a lot of them cut across several character concepts. I'll try to figure out a way to organize them better.

Well a whole thread devoted to just feats, and then probably broken into separate posts like:

General Feats
Combat Feats
Metamagic Feats
Divine Feats
Wildshape Feats
etc.

I'm willing to read a few pages. More, if I can determine what you're trying to achieve.

First, what problems do you see? If I agree, I'm WAY more likely to keep reading.

Second, what's the setting? Should I bother trying to add firearms, or be a monster race, or not?

Third, what are you getting rid of? Can I be a warforged? A swordsage?

Fourth, what are you changing?

I appreciate a long list of well thought out rules, especially if they make the game better. But in the case of PvP I can't keep that many changes in my head from one game to the next. I've played highly custom games before and I'd have to go reread everything every time just to post. It's not about reading them once, it's about rereading them for the life of the game.

Generally, the fewer the better - it's less for people to read, and also less to have to remember. I ran a pretty heavily houseruled game once where I ended up forgetting a lot of my own rules since I was also running a much less-houseruled game at the same time...

Personally, though, I think I'd prefer it if I felt the rules helped. There are a lot of things which annoy me about D&D, some of them quite small (how does Dodge only give a +1? And only vs one foe! Toughness? When did that ever seem worth taking?) and so next time I run a game, I'll probably have a massive list of alterations (partly because I want to try them and see how the game goes, and I wouldn't mind trying a high-level sometime too). There's an argument that it's not worth bothering with things which are unlikely to come up, mind.

Epic Feats seem fairly straightforward. There aren't even that many of them, and some don't really need changes, so you can just have a page or something on them, and maybe other pages on other stuff. I agree with the well-organising thing, it can make a big difference.

This one's harder, but I'd probably also be more willing to keep read rules if I agreed with them. Otherwise, I find myself thinking, what's the point of going to all this effort to houserule a game if you haven't actually improved it? I saw a game not too long back where the DM had made a whole load of changes, and some of them were really ridiculous and made no sense. I didn't really want to play in that game anyway, as a result, but I certainly didn't have high hopes for any other rules he might have written. That one's pretty subjective, mind.

As long as I feel like the house rules have been reasonably thought out and are serving a real purpose, be it fixing a flaw in the system or aiding in creating a specific flavor of game, I'll give them a look. I've played in some games where the house rules were massive, with mixed results. I've seen house rules that seem obsessed with "fixing" things that don't seem broken or address specific pet peeves of the creator that nobody else cares about. I've seen house rules that pretty much required you to become a mind reader to even comprehend. I've seen stuff so badly organized I'm convinced the author had no idea what half the stuff they wrote even was. I've seen house rules that made it obvious the writer didn't understand the official rules. And yet... I've also seen systems that were absolutely brilliant in getting what they wanted with a minimum of fuss, were clearly written, well organized and made sense. I might not agree with every single bias shown, but nothing was a deal breaker. I like reading rule systems. If they're good, so much the better. Even bad systems that inspire ideas and don't get in the way too much can be interesting.

I do agree with Luke Crane's comment on house rules.

There is a point where the time spent fixing the game would be better spent finding a game that already works the way you want.