Playing A Garbage Character - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Playing A Garbage Character

Playing A Garbage Character

I actually play D&D 3.5 game at another RPG forum which I play a Neutral Good Male Lesser Drow Rogue named Eric Spade and he was very useless. He always get knocked out. He was no help during battle and he got killed by a demonic blob and one of my party members killed because she hated him. And he was on Level 4. Have anyone ever play a garbage character in D&D 3.5 before? If so, what's your story and experience of a garbage character?

Well our DM was of a goofy mindframe so we ended up with a party of garbage. Oh and a 'Samurai Jack' to pull our butts out of the fire.

My Monk had a negative Con and for an opening post sneezed and whiped shot onto her Kimono. We also had ass scratchery from another PC. Good times

3.5 specifically? Not many since I started with Human Druid (hard to screw up) and wandered to Psionics. But I did have a character in GURPS who, due to a huge misunderstanding of how magic worked in the DMs setting, ended up being a Pancake conjurer...which was his most useful ability in a world similar to d&d -_-

I don't know about mechanically, though I've certainly played some less-than-optimal stuff... but my group of friends, for Pathfinder's Wrath of the Righteous adventure path, made the "C team" basically. On the theory that all the real heroic heroes get killed in the opening scene, we're just whoever's left--and we're all awful. Basically, "Sir Happened-to-Show-Up" and "The coward who hid when everyone else was fighting." I played an orc witch doctor who had just been selling tchotchke's when the attack happened, basically like a guy selling T-shirts outside a concert.

It was super funny watching all the NPC's look at us, the heroes of light and prophecy, and just constantly face palm when we're the ones that show up.

We had a DM that decided to run an old school style approach. He figure that it shouldn't be a problem since all of the players had DMing and playing experience. We rolled 3d6 for stats in order. If we had two or more stats with negative modifiers, we could reroll the lowest stat. We rolled for hit points (only rerolling ones). The party had 4 PCs and 1 NPC that was rolled up by a player. The entire party was garbage.

I had a wizard with 2 hp. Our tank had a good strength but he had a negative dex modifier and only 5 or 6 hp. Our main battle approach was to turtle around my character me so I could cast sleep. Then the party would gang-up on the remaining foes, while my character murdered the sleeping ones.

Eventual the DM grew tired of this tactic and sent 4 skeletons at us. That encounter nearly TPKed the party. This party had no business leaving town.

I'm currently playing a kuo-toa pacifist in an Out of the Abyss game. He, quite literally, never fights. He simply casts healing magic on the party now and then and says vaguely philosophical, slushy things like, "Life'shh greateshht myshhterieshh cannot be shholved through warfare and violenchhe."

Needless to say, he's friggin' awesome

well, my experience of a garbage character that I can remember is recent, d&d5... I played a warlock in Out of the Abyss... he tried, but next to the real fighters' damage output, his eldritch blasts were paltry, even with the agonizing blast invocation (and yes, that was even with maximized charisma)... and he had far too few spell slots to do much else, not that it helped given we fought a lot of demons that had advantage on saving throws vs spells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRajah View Post
Define "garbage". Constant bad rolls, dealing with conflicting players/GMs or was this a personal choice?
Playing in combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
I actually play D&D 3.5 game at another RPG forum which I play a Neutral Good Male Lesser Drow Rogue named Eric Spade and he was very useless. He always get knocked out. He was no help during battle and he got killed by a demonic blob and one of my party members killed because she hated him. And he was on Level 4. Have anyone ever play a garbage character in D&D 3.5 before? If so, what's your story and experience of a garbage character?
I've noticed that many of those stories in D&D3.5 begin with "I decided not to play a spellcaster"...

Then again, I played a non-spellcaster in Witchcraft. The game's name being synonymous with "wizardry" should tell you enough how easy that is!
Does that count?
Basically, I was playing a lycanthrope, I could very well murder most mages, if I caught them off-guard. They could murder me if they knew where I was, and it wasn't a space designated as safe (hint: one of these is easier).
The way to protect yourself from that is usually simple: use magic.
That lycanthropes can never have. (Well, except for a specific pact with demons...but those are supposed to be tough to keep, and I never had one).
And I had not just a powerful wizard character, but a minor clan of magicians hot on my heels.
What amounts to over 200 sessions later, I'd managed to decimate said clan...without fighting them directly once. Talk about payback for taking a Major Disadvantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakle View Post
We had a DM that decided to run an old school style approach. He figure that it shouldn't be a problem since all of the players had DMing and playing experience. We rolled 3d6 for stats in order. If we had two or more stats with negative modifiers, we could reroll the lowest stat. We rolled for hit points (only rerolling ones). The party had 4 PCs and 1 NPC that was rolled up by a player. The entire party was garbage.

I had a wizard with 2 hp. Our tank had a good strength but he had a negative dex modifier and only 5 or 6 hp. Our main battle approach was to turtle around my character me so I could cast sleep. Then the party would gang-up on the remaining foes, while my character murdered the sleeping ones.

Eventual the DM grew tired of this tactic and sent 4 skeletons at us. That encounter nearly TPKed the party. This party had no business leaving town.
A tank with 5-6 HP is a tank if you have armour and everyone else has less HP anyway. Besides, most weapons do 1d6, maybe 1d8 if you're using some newfangled ruleset (though who needs those)?
If it was an old-school campaign, I've got two questions.
  1. Didn't the Referee use the "gold for XP" rule? That should have helped you to level up quickly. Then you get more XP and fights are much less of an issue.
  2. Didn't you have any gold at the start to hire henchmen? Why risk your own hide?
Both of these should have made it much more survivable than your usual tactic. Also: when facing someone at disadvantage, use retreating and flaming oil.