What 3rd Party Source has Pathfinder Steampunk-ish? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

What 3rd Party Source has Pathfinder Steampunk-ish?

What 3rd Party Source has Pathfinder Steampunk-ish?

I just got the idea of converting a setting that my friends and I, several years ago, created for more freeform roleplaying, to Pathfinder, because there's a number of parts of Pathfinder that work for it perfectly.

But the one missing thing is that the setting has a pretty clear Steampunk aesthetic (a bit of a schitzotech steampunk feel, it that makes sense - parts of it are very 'early' steampunk, and others 'later' if that makes sense?). I'm sure there's a 3rd party pathfinder supplement that talks about some good ways to apply steampunk to Pathfinder, with rules and whatnot. While I can homebrew some stuff as needed, if someone has done the legwork, I might like to buy what books I need for that.

The Steampunk can be magical in nature or technological. I don't especially care.

So what books would people suggest?

Pure steam campaign setting while a few years old has a decent steampunk set of rules.

Thunderscape has some interesting mechanics for steampunk and it is campaign setting but you can cherry pick from it, from the technology to the classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Emerald View Post
Pure steam campaign setting while a few years old has a decent steampunk set of rules.

Thunderscape has some interesting mechanics for steampunk and it is campaign setting but you can cherry pick from it, from the technology to the classes.
Excellent. I'll look into those. Thanks!

if you are willing to deviate from Pathfinder rules, I'd suggest Space 1889, Airship Pirates, or Verne

If you are only looking at PF, maybe Iron Kingdoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredKing View Post
if you are willing to deviate from Pathfinder rules, I'd suggest Space 1889, Airship Pirates, or Verne

If you are only looking at PF, maybe Iron Kingdoms?
I'm not interested in learning an entirely new RPG system right now, so it has to be d20 and close enough to PF to be convertable easily. And many classes and Archetypes for Pathfinder fit the aesthetic and mood and lore of setting. I just need a few bits and pieces, really, and maybe some expanded gun rules (If I can find a musket-using soldier of the line archetype for the Fighter, I'd be thrilled). Plus I'm sure there's other things I haven't yet thought of, and reading a steampunk pathfinder book might raise them to my mind.

I thought Iron Kingdoms was it's own rulset, unless you mean this fan conversion some one did?

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...-Iron-Kingdoms

IK was originally a D&D 3rd edition setting with quite a lot of setting specific rules. Eventually, it got its own unique game that diverges significantly from the D20 model. I don't know how well it ever would have worked with PF.

In terms of classes...
  • The Clockwork Adept has a steampunk flair but I can't speak to it personally, have never seen it used.
  • The Gearhead is a 9th level caster version of a steampunk inventor, basically. It's relatively neat, has the ability to get pneumatic armor for instance, and is from their Pure Steam setting which has a lot of other content.
  • The Machinesmith I do have personal experience with, having played a 4th level one. It probably won't win awards for being super powerful but, man, it's a lot of fun with deploying gadgets and stuff--some act as spells, others as something else entirely (I love the crossbow turret). The publisher, Louis Porter Jr. Design, has a bunch of content out for this class as part of their NeoExodus setting. A strong contender.
  • The Tinker takes a pretty tongue-in-cheek view of the whole thing and is basically a summoning class where you can customize your little constructs and build/deploy them. It allows you to do everything from a big construct that you ride on/inside down to little constructs that are basically just suicide bombs. Again, not overwhelmingly powerful, but dripping with flavor--I encourage you to give the class a read, I laughed out loud at a few points (Constitutional Monarchy Line of Succession? Wut?).

Clockwork Adept is from the excellent Rhune Dawn of twilight, Stormpunk setting (it's a bit like steampunk) but it does use some kind of electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastForgot View Post
In terms of classes...
  • The Clockwork Adept has a steampunk flair but I can't speak to it personally, have never seen it used.
  • The Gearhead is a 9th level caster version of a steampunk inventor, basically. It's relatively neat, has the ability to get pneumatic armor for instance, and is from their Pure Steam setting which has a lot of other content.
  • The Machinesmith I do have personal experience with, having played a 4th level one. It probably won't win awards for being super powerful but, man, it's a lot of fun with deploying gadgets and stuff--some act as spells, others as something else entirely (I love the crossbow turret). The publisher, Louis Porter Jr. Design, has a bunch of content out for this class as part of their NeoExodus setting. A strong contender.
  • The Tinker takes a pretty tongue-in-cheek view of the whole thing and is basically a summoning class where you can customize your little constructs and build/deploy them. It allows you to do everything from a big construct that you ride on/inside down to little constructs that are basically just suicide bombs. Again, not overwhelmingly powerful, but dripping with flavor--I encourage you to give the class a read, I laughed out loud at a few points (Constitutional Monarchy Line of Succession? Wut?).
Clockwork Adept looks good. Gearhead seems a little too far into the Steampunk era than I'm quite going for and doesn't quite fit the aesthetic regardless (that and the "spell descriptions" don't appear to be on d20pfsrd, which could reduce utility to players) and Machinesmith seems fitting and workable. Tinker doesn't quite fit and is a touch too silly for what I'm going for.

But those two that worked are good. Thanks!

Some of the Spheres of Might classes and options have a very steampunk or even techy feel (depending on the choices). Especially the Technician class.