Difference 1st ed awakening to 2nd ed Awakening - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Difference 1st ed awakening to 2nd ed Awakening

Difference 1st ed awakening to 2nd ed Awakening

I've played and led my share of mage Awakening 1st edition games. Now I'm reading second edition rules. I_ve been wondering: How does the game change when played. It seems more complex ruleswise. Is it stilkl playable?

For the differences look for the God Machine Update PDF. That was a free download and gave you updated rules to use 1e books in 2e. It's a pretty clear guide as to what changed.

As to the rest, that's pretty subjective. I prefer 1e myself but its just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
For the differences look for the God Machine Update PDF. That was a free download and gave you updated rules to use 1e books in 2e. It's a pretty clear guide as to what changed.

As to the rest, that's pretty subjective. I prefer 1e myself but its just different.
I preferred 1e of all the nWoD lines. A lot of the 2e changes were... weird (though there were a few things I liked about the changed XP system). And they just totally... screwed up Vampire, IMO (and the whole concept of the God machine was weird to me too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylia Quilor View Post
I preferred 1e of all the nWoD lines. A lot of the 2e changes were... weird (though there were a few things I liked about the changed XP system). And they just totally... screwed up Vampire, IMO (and the whole concept of the God machine was weird to me too.)
I don't think the OP is talking about oWoD vs. nWoD. The question seems to be about God-Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I don't think the OP is talking about oWoD vs. nWoD. The question seems to be about God-Machine.
Yeah, I know. 1e of nWoD is the post oWoD pre-God Machine stuff.

I didn't even mention oWoD.

In my opinion Chronicles of Darkness 2e tried to move their game(s) away from a more "traditional" RPG experience toward a more "story game" RPG experience with conditions, tilts, and beats, etc. but, clearly, their hearts weren't in it. I don't think what they produced plays like a cohesive whole. The game desperately needed a change, and new World of Darkness was light years ahead of old World of Darkness, but I would have been a lot happier if they would have scrapped the Story Teller system entirely and started over (but no one expected them to do something like that).

But, as always, this is all a matter of taste. CoD 2.0 has tons of fans that like the "innovations." Just like tons of fans like the meta-story in old World of Darkness more than they like Chronicles of Darkness.

I am not a player of Awakening, but if I were you, I'd at least check out the 2.0 core book to see what changes they made. I'm sure lots of powers, rotes, merits, etc. got tweaked, and I'll bet most of those tweaks were for the better (incorporating of the errata, clarifying working, etc.).

The difference between 1st NWoD and 2nd edition NWoD is staggering in both mechanics and fluff. It might as well be two different games with only cursory relations.

In what they advertised as an intent to streamline and improve the NWoD storyteller system, correct mechanical problems and balance things out. They ended up with a system that is in fact mechanically more complicated, with things that used to be rather easily solved with dice now left to interpretation by the storyteller.

Fluff was totally rewritten to the point that tone, substance and style of some the lines totally shifted with Mage and Vampire perhaps being the two that were hit the hardest in this regard.

Where they started with a small bit of admittedly interesting reading/fluff from the blue book (the god-machine) and turned it into a corner stone of the setting to the point that an entire line was introduced around it (the new Demon for 2nd edition new WoD)

Mage in particular has massive tonal shift that can be directly linked to the fact that a huge chunk of Awakening second edition was written by people who used to be generic posters on old NWoD forums until they were given jobs and who pushed in their own interpretations and ideas. Many of which directly contradict the fluff (and thus the mechanics derived behind it) of 1st edition Awakening.

Then they introduced Beast and Demon, as new lines also further distancing 1st edition NWoD from 2nd edition NWoD.

But honestly the current state of the new wod is just the result of poor company management that's been dragging on since the end of the Masquerade, which has been pervasively affecting everything White Wolf (and what white wolf became) publishes since then with Scion and Exalted also being examples of games that took hits from it.

My question isn't about the GMC. I've played enough vampire and demon to understand that.

I've read some more yesterday, and Reach, Praxes and attainments are bewildering. Does the crunchiness work out, or does it make games die because it takes forever to figure out how to cast a spell?

It's not really more complicated then 1st edition awakening,, crunch wise. On top of it, they simply have names for stuffs you were already doing in 1st edition anyway.

2nd edition arcana are a little more balanced compared to 1st edition, which depending on tastes, you might like or not. Maybe you like the fact that not having proper counter for x arcana is a death sentence...(1st edition). 2nd edition offers more options to protect against other mages even without having a "must-have" counter. But well this part is mostly a question of taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gris View Post
I've read some more yesterday, and Reach, Praxes and attainments are bewildering. Does the crunchiness work out, or does it make games die because it takes forever to figure out how to cast a spell?
I'm sorry how much trouble you're having getting a straight answer. I've played both editions; I don't understand the arguments against 2E as the superior edition across all updated gamelines, but I'll do my best to stick to the mechanics of 2E Awakening vs. 1E in question.

Mage 2E runs more smoothly than Mage 1E, but requires more foreknowledge. In terms of play-by-post games, such as Mythweavers hosts, there is effectively no difference given the timespan over which you can prepare and execute a single action. However, and this is key, 2E is not 'tweaks' or 'additions' from 1e. It's a new system. You need to learn it as new.

If you're actually the playing game with real people around a table, you'll want to be completely familiar with your Reach options for your rotes, and the ways Reach can modify spells in general. That's about it for "extra" information. Conditions are a net-zero change, it's just moving the effect text from in-spell to the back of the book with the advantage that sometimes conditions can be reused and the disadvantage that you do some more flipping. Make yourself a sheet of spellcards; a single sheet of paper printed double-sided should cover pretty much everything. Like 1E, many reference sheets exist online to help you out if you need them, and like 1E it'll become second nature after a couple heavy spellcasting sessions.

Praxes are really simple and serve more as aesthetic choices than mechanical ones, it's not a big deal, just pick spells you like that you don't need as rotes.

Arcana Attainments are easy to learn and remember as you gain them. If "Fate 2 lets you set up conditional spells" was manageable in 1E you won't have much of an issue. Legacies are a little more involved, but less random - 1E printed Legacies were infamous for breaking literally every suggested guideline for Legacy design - which goes back to the setup / smoothness thing.

TL;DR and repeated: If you set yourself up, 2E runs faster because there's more "general" information you can apply across different spells that allow you to quickly navigate spells you haven't cast before, in particular I find 2E creative thaumaturgy much easier. But because more of this information is in the system and less of it is in the individual spell, you're encouraged to become familiar with that system more aggressively than in 1E, and it really is a NEW system, not an "update" to 1E's spellcasting.