Traps as NPCs - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Traps as NPCs

Traps as NPCs

I've been thinking and that's dangerous.
I've been thinking about traps and environmental hazards, and that it's really hard to make them exciting, because they usually depend on a perception roll, or a few dex rolls and that's it.

So suddenly I had an idea about it, and here it is. Probably done by someone already, but I haven't seen it yet. So...

How about treating traps and hazards as monsters/NPCs?

- They have Rp (Resistance points) instead of Hp, but it works the same way.
- They have attacks and damage, though those are not used voluntarily, and the attack bonus depends on the designer's skill.
- They can have other skills like hiding, perception, athletics, as long as they are practically used for some 'action' (= mechanism).
- They have save scores to withstand the PCs' 'attacks'.
- Some can be 'damaged' by wits, some with smarts, some with speed, some with brute force, using those rarely used modifiers.
- They can definitely have treasure.
- They cannot escape most of the time, and they probably don't have morale.
- Some key actions do a fixed amount of damage simply by virtue of being done.

I hit the pit trap with my sword for damage, the trap is disarmed?

Walls are now cyrved enough for you to climb. You can leave at any time. BOOM!

Want to make a trap more interesting? Put it in the same room as the monsters. Don't give the party the luxury of searching for it.

"I charge the BBEG"
Roll reflex as you trigger the pit trap in the charge path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Golem View Post
Want to make a trap more interesting? Put it in the same room as the monsters. Don't give the party the luxury of searching for it.

"I charge the BBEG"
Roll reflex as you trigger the pit trap in the charge path
This.

Also, monstrous traps already exist. To name a few:
Assassin Vine
Mimic
Gelatinous Cube

And that's just the first three that came to mind. Most plant and ooze types work really well as traps. Several constructs (especially undead constructs and golems) do as well.

Of course, an animated, awakened, fleshmade, undead poison dart trap does sound like the right kind of dangerous, icky, and weird to throw off even an experienced group of players.

I can only hope he would look something like this:

That actually sounds like a really fun idea, now that you mention it.

Well, what version of the system are you using?

In D&D 3.5:
  1. Have an Artificer or Effigy Master, or even a rando NPC with ranks in Craft (Blah, blah, blah) create something worth animating depending on power level you're going for. For the sake of this example lets say a statue with a hidden fullisade of darts. (Artificers and Effigy Masters can make their own animated objects or even living constructs/effigies, so this next step is less important and they make nice dungeon bossess.)
  2. Cast Animate Object, the Permanency Spell (this implies you have a cleric/wizard handy or someone who is really good with UMD, so there's a nice dungeon boss.
  3. Apply the Incarnate Construct Template to grant it fleshy life and possibly give you 2 extra levels to stat out. (Savage Species)
  4. Set it loose on your adventuring party.

Yeah, when I read the thread title, I thought
this and not
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboti Chocolati View Post
Yeah, when I read the thread title, I thought
this and not
this.
Me too.

That said, I find that zombies, golems, elementals, and plants all make for very good traps encounters. Either as the traps themselves (such as a passage with tiny holes and ogre zombies with spears on the other side of the 10 foot walls) or in conjunction with traps - an automatic reset fireball trap guarded by a fire elemental, for example.