Quick questions and answers - Page 1323 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothmar View Post
dnd 5e

Tunnel Fighter (Unearthed Arcana): As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

Does this mean I can perform as many oppurtunity attacks as are triggered so long as i've entered this stance?
effectively spend Bonus action to obtain unlimited reaction actions for oppurtunity attacks.

...*Imagines comboing this with polearm mastery and sentinel*
If this is the full text of Tunnel Fighter, then yeah, you have unlimited opportunity attacks until the start of your next turn.

With Sentinel, you can effectively defend a choke point so no one passes by you - you hit them and they stop moving.

With Polearm Master and a polearm weapon, you can make two attacks against an enemy that's coming into melee with you: Once for entering your polearm's reach (triggering Polearm Master's opp attack), and second for moving 5 feet within your reach to come into melee with you (triggering Tunnel Fighter's reaction attack). EDIT: Wait, that second attack might not trigger after all because the wording is "moving more than 5 feet" and the enemy only moved 5 feet. :P

Grey -

Yeah if in the center square of a 3 square wide hall scenario, i'd get to attack once on entering and then once against when they pass into a rear based square if I use my reaction and one last time when they left my threatened square assuming they're trying to just rush past me to get to something/someone of note/importance. So 3 chances to hit someone and one hit ends their movement.

Assuming that text is correct, yes. I didn't have the UA in front of me and took it off the https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/Classes fighter fighting styles.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I want to make absolutely sure. In Pathfinder, familiars do not get feats the way an animal companion does, correct?

I mean, by a strict literal reading of RAW, they should, as that is an 'effect related to number of Hit Dice', but I do seem to recall some sort of developer commentary / FAQ / stealth-errata indicating that it was not Paizo's intent for familiars to gain feats from advancement.
Though I can't seem to find that particular stealth-errata at the moment, so maybe I'm misremembering?

It says keeps the feat(s) of the animal it once was and is given Alertness when it becomes a familiar. I guess that would be it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shozurei View Post
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I want to make absolutely sure. In Pathfinder, familiars do not get feats the way an animal companion does, correct?
You are correct in that Familiars do not get feats like Animal Companions do.

Familiars do not advance in Hit Dice. Whenever an effect would check the familiar's HD, the game looks at the master's class level or the familiar's base HD, whichever is higher - there is no real HD advancement. This means that the familiar is stuck with the number of feats it had when it became a familiar. Other abilities can add to this number of feats, but when basing solely on HD, the familiar is stuck with what it started with.

Animal Companions, on the other hand, actually gain HD as their master gains class levels. They then gain the benefits of advanced HD's like normal.

Note that different DM's handle this sort of thing differently.

For example, when I ran into a similar circumstance with a player in 3.5 some years ago, I allowed the PC to swap out the familiar's starting/existing feats. She didn't get to add feats, but she got to swap out some unwanted stuff for new stuff that the familiar could qualify for. And every time the PC gained a new level, she could do this swapping thing again.

You might want to check with your DM.