Pokémon - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Pokémon

I got Moltres in Pokemon Go too, which was super cool. But I'm worried about not being able to get Mew as it requires 2 Raid Battles and those are hard to find for me.

I've played one of the games in every generation and most of the 'third' games like Pokemon Yellow and Platinum. I had Sun so I got Ultra Moon when it came out. I wanted the new pokemon. Currently, I'm training on Poni Island to get my Pokemon up to level 50 before continuing.

There was an online game that used pokemon for a tower defense type game. It was pretty fun, but I lost the link, sadly.

Porting Pokemon into Faerun?

You should check out the kanto pokedex for D&D 5e for inspiration

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedAr...kanto_pokedex/

I have cleared every main line pokemon game, except Ultra Sun/Moon, which I only got to the second island on so far.
I have also cleared a few of the spin offs, like Colleseum, Pokemon TCG (on GB) and the first Mystery Dungeon.

I haven't even heard of Cortex Prime and have never seen pokeroll so if you are playing one of those, will have to investigate the rules.

The only problem with a made-up region, is that nobody will have knowledge of it. You have to make a world map, come up with towns, etc.
But even for players, it is handy to be able to look up bulbapedia or remember what route the group needs to take to get to the town, or what pokemon to expect in the next area if they are trying to collect them, or make references to towns with some background info to help RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
Porting Pokemon into Faerun?

You should check out the kanto pokedex for D&D 5e for inspiration
I had a print copy made which is sitting on my shelf next to me.

Quote:
The only problem with a made-up region, is that nobody will have knowledge of it. You have to make a world map, come up with towns, etc.
But even for players, it is handy to be able to look up bulbapedia or remember what route the group needs to take to get to the town, or what pokemon to expect in the next area if they are trying to collect them, or make references to towns with some background info to help RP.
There is also advantages to playing in a new region. I don't think it would be any different than having a player who has played other core games, but not one set in Unova. If I was going to set something up in the Realms or another fantasy region, I'd still want to make sure that the familiar core elements are there. I'd probably work out a Pokedex I'd want to use, and then document it for each locale. So like there would be a thread for the area, with a list of Pokemon discovered there. There would have to be the core elements that players are familiar with. Gyms, Pokecenters, Pokemarts, a Nursery, etc. Alola had Trials and Z-crystals, but they still had the same function as Gyms and Badges.

One of the things I like about Pokerole is that it also has a Mystery Dungeon plugin, so you can actually play the Pokemon. For something like 5e, the link you put for the Kanto Pokedex is nice, but it probably needs more. For one, Pokemon don't have static levels. I was thinking of how older pre Advanced D&D had racial classes. You could probably do something similar. Though it sounds like a lot of work, you would really only need it for trainers, their own pokemon, or players playing pokemon. If it was 5e I'd even consider dispensing with the four move limitation. I mean the idea isn't to perfectly emulate the game. The anime series does not emulate the game. Heck Mystery Dungeon and Conquest and Pokemon Go don't emulate the core games. So it's okay to have different mechanics.

You could do it in any system really. I see a lot of D&D mechanics in Pokemon to begin with, and since 5e has more or less consistent math, conversions are possible direct from the game stats. Figure out the maximum combined hit bonus you want in your game and correlate that with the max ATT stat and then use division to figure out benchmarks. HP to hit points is pretty straight forward. DEF can convert to AC. Sp. ATT would be like the maximum damage from a spell like effect, and SP DEF would be like Magic Resistance from older editions, or you could more simply convert them to saving throws bonuses. The advantage of using 5e is that I can come up with equations to convert from the core games, and then plug the numbers into Hero Lab which will tell me how to balance it for 5e and then spit out a CR.

My two cents in regards to the "it's a PbP game but we resolve combat with actual N3DS battles" thing: I once tried doing something similar with Yugioh, and later with MtG, in that people would play the game as a standard D&D session, and resolve combat via duel... And suffices to say, that didn't quite work out.

If you think about it, the trainers don't need much in the way of stats. At best they would possibly give a certain bonus to pokemon.
Like Brock would give all his Pokemon +1 AC to represent his focus on rock hard defence.
PCs could select one or two bonuses to make them a 'class'
Collector gets to roll advantage on capture attempts against a pokemon they don't already own.
Collector gives opponent pokemon disadvantage on saves against sleep effects.

Dragon Tamer gives all dragon types +2 damage when they use dragon or fire attack.
Dragon Tamer can allow one of his dragons to resist Ice damage as a reaction. Can only be used once per long rest.

On top of that, a pokemon trainer could train his team of pokemon, who would be the one with stats.
Simplified 5e could work. Perhaps pokemon has starting stats and you get new moves/bonus to stats as you level up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Cook View Post
My two cents in regards to the "it's a PbP game but we resolve combat with actual N3DS battles" thing: I once tried doing something similar with Yugioh, and later with MtG, in that people would play the game as a standard D&D session, and resolve combat via duel... And suffices to say, that didn't quite work out.
Yeah it was a passing thought. It might be fun with a small group that lived in relatively similar or compatible time zones. I thought it would be fun mainly because then I could give out Pokemon in trade as rewards but you are probably right about it not being practical.

Quote:
If you think about it, the trainers don't need much in the way of stats. At best they would possibly give a certain bonus to pokemon.
Like Brock would give all his Pokemon +1 AC to represent his focus on rock hard defence.
PCs could select one or two bonuses to make them a 'class'
Collector gets to roll advantage on capture attempts against a pokemon they don't already own.
Collector gives opponent pokemon disadvantage on saves against sleep effects.

Dragon Tamer gives all dragon types +2 damage when they use dragon or fire attack.
Dragon Tamer can allow one of his dragons to resist Ice damage as a reaction. Can only be used once per long rest.

On top of that, a pokemon trainer could train his team of pokemon, who would be the one with stats.
Simplified 5e could work. Perhaps pokemon has starting stats and you get new moves/bonus to stats as you level up?
That depends on if you have non combat activities. It would be nice to at least have some semblance of skills if you were running an open world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
Are Mythical Pokémon more powerful than Legendary Pokémon?
That's not a cut and dry answer, since some consider the two groups to overlap and there's a huge range of power in both groups. The Regis can't hold a candle to Deoxys, but it's not as thought Manaphy and Phione are punching in the same tier as the Creation Trio.

Also, I forgot to mention my 3DS friend code.
It's 0705-2591-1313. Just throw me a message on Discord before you try and battle me or anything. I'll usually respond fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
Are Mythical Pokémon more powerful than Legendary Pokémon?
As Veradux mentioned, there is no clear answer. Here is a list of Pokémon by base stats. If you sort by total you can see which are the best performers. I don't think Legendary nor Mythical implies superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
That's not a cut and dry answer, since some consider the two groups to overlap and there's a huge range of power in both groups. The Regis can't hold a candle to Deoxys, but it's not as thought Manaphy and Phione are punching in the same tier as the Creation Trio.

Also, I forgot to mention my 3DS friend code.
It's 0705-2591-1313. Just throw me a message on Discord before you try and battle me or anything. I'll usually respond fairly quickly.
My IGN is Akari and my Friend Code is 2982-1297-0571. Let me know if you need anything. Adding you now.

And then you have Rayquaza, so OP he got banned from Ubers... so mechanically mythicals don't have a noteworthy advantage.